C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
South of the border, there's a booming business in the dental trade. I don't know what specific meds are cheaper in Canada than the US, but I was curious for some of the ones my wife was taking: atenolol, folic acid, eye drops to mitigate the onset of glaucoma, etc. and found them cheaper here.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
South of the border, there's a booming business in the dental trade. I don't know what specific meds are cheaper in Canada than the US, but I was curious for some of the ones my wife was taking: atenolol, folic acid, eye drops to mitigate the onset of glaucoma, etc. and found them cheaper here.
I know some people who do the Canadian pharmacy thing, and the primary win is in new drugs where generic versions aren't available. The savings can be huge.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I know some people who do the Canadian pharmacy thing, and the primary win is in new drugs where generic versions aren't available. The savings can be huge.
Although we have insurance, Irv, we chose the option that has a prescription rider that ONLY covers diabetic and chemo type medications. Going to 'full, prescription coverage would have resulted in additional premiums of something like $300 a month additional. Since the medication we take is largely generic or recently OTC, we didn't opt for full coverage.

Even with that, I was annoyed at the ~$55/bottle charge for the eye drops. I went to the website, GoodRX, typed in the name of the drops, and found that I could get it for $15. That's a hell of a savings. I heartily recommend checking it out. It will give you a list of places near you along with the prices. Signing up with them will allow you to get alerts when the prices change or if a better price is now available at a different pharmacy.

I don't think it's well known, but your pharmacist is obligated by law to tell you if your prescription can be obtained for less elsewhere if you ask. They're not obligated to tell you on their own though.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
None of these countries have a higher standard of living than the US, as measured by per capita GDP. Bernie's favorite example of Norway does, but that's oil money pumping up the numbers, like it does for Qatar. Only Luxembourg and Switzerland are really better off. And all of them have minuscule defense budgets, though interestingly they all have some very successful defense industry companies...
I beg to differ..

Starting vacation is 6 weeks for most German based companies, not a piddly 2 to 3 weeks. They also work on average less hours than North America and far less than Japan. I don't what they are measuring on per capita GDP but it definately isn't work/life balance. If you don't have the time to spend on monetary rewards, is it really a better standard of living? I seriously question the GDP measure of things.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I beg to differ..

Starting vacation is 6 weeks for most German based companies, not a piddly 2 to 3 weeks. They also work on average less hours than North America and far less than Japan. I don't what they are measuring on per capita GDP but it definately isn't work/life balance. If you don't have the time to spend on monetary rewards, is it really a better standard of living? I seriously question the GDP measure of things.
I agree that US people work more hours than the average corporate German worker, but per-capita GDP is the way economists compare standard of living. It's great to be rich anywhere in the western world, but if one has to average, it still looks like the US, Switzerland, and Luxembourg are the places to be average.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that US people work more hours than the average corporate German worker, but per-capita GDP is the way economists compare standard of living. It's great to be rich anywhere in the western world, but if one has to average, it still looks like the US, Switzerland, and Luxembourg are the places to be average.
I've had much better food quality in the other places I've lived. Outside of having a great military I'm not sure what advantages our country really offers over other developed countries.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I will never agree with the economic measure as an indicator for a quality of life. My happiest memories are when my wife and I made the most of life on our starting salaries.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've had much better food quality in the other places I've lived. Outside of having a great military I'm not sure what advantages our country really offers over other developed countries.
Oh yeah? Make a trip to any store and check the prices. Those other countries all have a VAT. And then check again on income taxes. I've been to every other country on the "it's better there list". I'd rather be here, and that includes Canada, my personal #2.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah? Make a trip to any store and check the prices. Those other countries all have a VAT. And then check again on income taxes. I've been to every other country on the "it's better there list". I'd rather be here, and that includes Canada, my personal #2.
Beer is a lot cheaper in Germany. :D

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, catch your Oktoberfest while you can because there are petitions to end it as it is offensive and anti-you know what.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are buying into the media propaganda on this one. I know three Canadian professionals (6 figure salaries). They have maintained dual citizenship and all plan to retire to Canada. Their reason is for the HealthCare. They have all been exposed to both systems (moved here between 28 and 36 years old as career opportunities arose) and have extended family still in Canada.
I think they are in a better position to know how healthcare compares than you or I.

Of course, the flip side of this story is they found better opportunities to fulfull their ambitions here in the USA! But don't believe everything that pundits say about healthcare quality abroad.
I'm uncomfortable with the USA running Healthcare, since they can't even run the VA Hospitals properly.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/va-hospital-scandal/whistleblower-says-va-hospital-covered-problems-delayed-care-n100851

And
https://www.rt.com/usa/160276-white-house-veterans-hospital-problems/

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm probably 60/40 in favor of trying government-run healthcare. Government does get things wrong, but it also gets things right. I sure wouldn't take a commercial student loan over a Federal one and find the water bill which is municipality controlled far easier to deal with than Eversource.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
A concern of mine when it comes to gov't programs in general has to do with significant cost overruns. There invariably seems to be a disconnect with initial projections and the final cost. With respect to the ACA, how effective has it been in keeping costs or cost increases down?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm probably 60/40 in favor of trying government-run healthcare. Government does get things wrong, but it also gets things right. I sure wouldn't take a commercial student loan over a Federal one and find the water bill which is municipality controlled far easier to deal with than Eversource.
Except Student Loans have driven up the cost of education substantially.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis