Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I had far less to unpack than Chemist so that parts done, will be listening shortly.

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
I had far less to unpack than Chemist so that parts done, will be listening shortly.

those look nice. I really wanted the chrono SL 526.2 for my surrounds but went with the 816.2 because of space.

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone noticed any difference when connecting the vento/chrono towers to either the HF or LF binding posts? I don't plan on bi-wiring or bi-amping. I talked to Marc from A4L who says no difference, but it may be me, but I did hear a difference with one of them. Either that or my friend and i both became biased.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone noticed any difference when connecting the vento/chrono towers to either the HF or LF binding posts? I don't plan on bi-wiring or bi-amping. I talked to Marc from A4L who says no difference, but it may be me, but I did hear a difference with one of them. Either that or my friend and i both became biased.
Perception is a strong bias.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There are pieces of metal connecting the positive (red) terminals and the negative (black) terminals, right?
As long as that is in place, you are effectively connecting to both terminals at the same time!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Ideally, the speakers and your listening position would form an equilateral triangle (distance from each speaker to you = distance between speakers) so it would be nice to separate the speakers a bit more, if you can. However, if practical concerns force them to stay where they are they will still sound good, you just won't get as wide of a soundstage as is optimal.
So, how do they stack up against your 502.2s?

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Ideally, the speakers and your listening position would form an equilateral triangle (distance from each speaker to you = distance between speakers) so it would be nice to separate the speakers a bit more, if you can. However, if practical concerns force them to stay where they are they will still sound good, you just won't get as wide of a soundstage as is optimal.
So, how do they stack up against your 502.2s?

My MLP is set up in an equilateral triangle but unfortunately that dresser is all the space I have for these at the moment.

As for the sound between models, I was a tiny bit skeptical that I would actually hear a noteworthy difference between the two models, mostly due to my less than perfect hearing.
But amazingly, even with my closer to brass then golden ears the difference is absolutely there.
I don’t really know how to express the differences, but the Vento’s just sound larger, fuller and more detailed and somehow even seem to pull deeper.
Best of all of course is that I can just listen and listen without tiring of the music they are producing, so the bottom line is I couldn’t be happier with them and glad the discussion and positive testimony helped move me in this direction.

Perhaps not completely fair A/B with the different amps but the room, speaker height and distance are identical and seating distances can be easily replicated.

Thanks,
GB

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
You can go crazy and try something like "Diagonal" or "Diamond" wiring:
1578848314535.png

Some people swear by it!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. I swore there was a difference when I connected it to the HF over the LF. I'll look into this diamond wiring.
From a "science" point of view, there is no way that the amount of resistance in the bar that shorts between the terminals (unless there is some corrosion at the contact areas - which is why these are usually gold plated) would result in an audible difference, but no harm in playing with it!
I think the people who swear by this are being influenced by expectation bias. But, hey, you are not paying big bucks to try it, so why not?

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
So with more listening time under my belt I can say I’m still thoroughly enjoying the 820.2’s, even in their less than optimal placement on my bedside dresser.

I’ve also since moved the Chrono 502.2’s into my small upstairs living room 3.1 HT setup but now find myself looking for a new center channel speaker. The idea is a better timbre match with the 502’s and because the CC in current use is a very small Mordaunt-Short center with two 3.5” drivers that I find a bit lacking everywhere when used for anything other than the news..
So my question is do I just pick up another pair of sale priced Chrono 502.2 speakers to get myself a matching LCR front stage or would I be better off with the 3way Chrono 505.2 center channel speaker??
I have tried the 502.2 in place of the current center speaker and it worked fine, just wonder if the 3way 505.2 CC has any real advantages over it??

Thanks,
Gryph

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have the 556.2 with my 836 pair but it was also a good match with my 820.2 pair (which I later moved to another room in 2.1 after I got the 836).

I haven’t heard the 502.2. Maybe @KEW has that model? I know he has at least one pair of bookshelves with the older tweeters.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So with more listening time under my belt I can say I’m still thoroughly enjoying the 820.2’s, even in their less than optimal placement on my bedside dresser.

I’ve also since moved the Chrono 502.2’s into my small upstairs living room 3.1 HT setup but now find myself looking for a new center channel speaker. The idea is a better timbre match with the 502’s and because the CC in current use is a very small Mordaunt-Short center with two 3.5” drivers that I find a bit lacking everywhere when used for anything other than the news..
So my question is do I just pick up another pair of sale priced Chrono 502.2 speakers to get myself a matching LCR front stage or would I be better off with the 3way Chrono 505.2 center channel speaker??
I have tried the 502.2 in place of the current center speaker and it worked fine, just wonder if the 3way 505.2 CC has any real advantages over it??

Thanks,
Gryph
As a rule, if you have the room below your TV to use an identical speaker as your left and right for your center, that is pretty much ideal as you'll have a perfect timber match!
Generally, a center speaker is a compromise based on the need to keep a low height. Unfortunately they also are expensive compromises because they don't sell in as much volume and it forces a MTM configuration since they are laying on their side.
Another 502.2 for center will also avoid problematic horizontal dispersion issues common for an MTM on its side.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
As a rule, if you have the room below your TV to use an identical speaker as your left and right for your center, that is pretty much ideal as you'll have a perfect timber match!
Generally, a center speaker is a compromise based on the need to keep a low height. Unfortunately they also are expensive compromises because they don't sell in as much volume and it forces a MTM configuration since they are laying on their side.
Another 502.2 for center will also avoid problematic horizontal dispersion issues common for an MTM on its side.

Thanks for the confirmation on matching LCR for best results across the front stage.
I’ve been trying to talk myself out of a pair of 826.2’s for R,L in this little 3.1 HT setup with one of the current 502.2’s for the center channel. I will probably try out that combo with the white 820.2’s from my dresser setup before any final decisions are made...

Either way, the 502.2 sits perfectly on the shelf under the screen and at close to the same height as the L,R speakers so I know a center 502 would integrate pretty seamlessly.

decisions, decisions?!?

edit: I went the budget route and ordered the 502.2 for a matching LCR on this small 3.1 HT rig.
This keeps the other setups status quo, so I’m far less tempted to kick the wallet open and jump into a set of Canton towers as I’d really like a set of custom veneer Salks when it’s time for some nice towers.

Last edited:
D

Dennischv

Audiophyte
Hey Guys-
Quick question, Just got my Canton SL 596.2 towers and center.

Using for both HT and music. What do you guys recommend for surround book shelfs? i really would like to match everything with the equivalent model of bookshelf surrounds but the sl 536.2 are a little pricey for me right now. Would older models different models match well with my Chronos?

All my speakers are in white. Would like to at least complete the 5.1 set up for now. Currently doing 3.1 with sunfire sub.

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Guys-
Quick question, Just got my Canton SL 596.2 towers and center.

Using for both HT and music. What do you guys recommend for surround book shelfs? i really would like to match everything with the equivalent model of bookshelf surrounds but the sl 536.2 are a little pricey for me right now. Would older models different models match well with my Chronos?

All my speakers are in white. Would like to at least complete the 5.1 set up for now. Currently doing 3.1 with sunfire sub.
The 526.2 is less than 536.2.

There’s also the on-wall 516.2

I wouldn’t say surrounds have to match tweeters though it might matter on 5.1 SACDs. The older series Chrono would work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis