Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thank god for post quotes.

I was able to follow like 90% of the conversation!

:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well hell. Now we all gotta go back and delete all our posts so it make sense again. Kurt's thread's gonna be 1 1/4 pages long now... :p

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
When did this train get off its track? Dang what a fun informative read. ;)
Well, as a person seriously interested in making a purchase of Vento or Reference Vento speakers, I actually did receive a lot of quite helpful information in this thread! Kudos and thanks to all who helped out. All is not lost.:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well hell. Now we all gotta go back and delete all our posts so it make sense again. Kurt's thread's gonna be 1 1/4 pages long now... :p
I'd say leave your posts in place. The quotes you made of his posts help others see what transpired.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
And to avoid any confusion, that crossover is very close. but not identical because it has a 7" woofer (the ones I posted were for 6").
@Trell I appreciate your making the point that the crossover stayed the same between the 830.2 and the later 836 models. I have speculated via PM with @snakeeyes that the Titanium woofer is likely a cosmetic rather than functional difference (it does look cool). The fact that they continued to use the same crossover with the new woofers seems to reinforce that (but is not definitive).
Aluminum is a great woofer material and it is difficult to understand what the translation from German to English means when they say:

titanium cone membranes are used in the midrange and woofer area
but I do wonder if "membranes" might mean "anodized".
As a tweeter material, aluminum can have some serious breakup issues in the audible range and the ceramic coating makes a substantial performance difference by pushing that break-up mode into frequencies well above 20kHz (as well as stiffening the dome to make it more pistonic)!
I think it makes sense that Canton is reusing components when possible but I did not [edit: oops missing keyword :oops:] mean to imply that the speaker is exactly the same, except for the model number on the back plate. For marketing purposes the label on the crossover was not exactly optimal :D

As for "titanium membranes" I do not believe that they are made of pure titanium, nor that the tweeter is pure ceramic even though the specs says so. I seem to remember that there used to be more info of each speaker line on the Canton home page that was more descriptive of the technologies used. Like the tweeter is "Aluminium oxyd ceramic" (as seen for Reference K speakers) and how it was made. The membranes for the Reference K is "ceramic tungsten" but is explained as (https://www.canton.de/en/reference-k/reference-8-k)

"Ceramic-tungsten technology
The membranes of the K Series are manufactured in an elaborate process. Up to 20 % of the existing molecular structure of the aluminium cone is transformed into a ceramic structure and refined with tungsten particles. The result is a membrane with an optimum ratio of rigidity to weight and improved inner damping."

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Sorry for all my posts being deleted. I didn’t have any control of that. I hope to move on and get along. If I don’t agree with certain posts I’ll be more respectful and thanks to all that sent me messages privately.

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Getting my speakers tomorrow! Question for you all, I hope i don't incite a speaker cable war but, the Vento 816.2 surrounds are listed at 4-8ohms. Deciding if i should use 10 vs 12 awg white cable for approx 40' run. I plan to run down into crawlspace and then up through a wall. deciding between the Belden 5000UE v 5T00UP. appreciate any help.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Getting my speakers tomorrow! Question for you all, I hope i don't incite a speaker cable war but, the Vento 816.2 surrounds are listed at 4-8ohms. Deciding if i should use 10 vs 12 awg white cable for approx 40' run. I plan to run down into crawlspace and then up through a wall. deciding between the Belden 5000UE v 5T00UP. appreciate any help.
http://www.audioholics.com/combo-pack-ebooks/learn/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/speaker-gauge-AWG-chart.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for all my posts being deleted. I didn’t have any control of that. I hope to move on and get along. If I don’t agree with certain posts I’ll be more respectful and thanks to all that sent me messages privately.
It would be good if you explain this!
The obvious inference to someone unfamiliar with this site is that a moderator deleted them.
Your older (as in too old for you to be able to delete) posts are still here.
We know that the moderators don't make members delete their posts. They might delete one themselves if it was especially inflammatory, but the posts you made in this thread would not qualify on that count.

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
It would be good if you explain this!
The obvious inference to someone unfamiliar with this site is that a moderator deleted them.
Your older (as in too old for you to be able to delete) posts are still here.
We know that the moderators don't make members delete their posts. They might delete one themselves if it was especially inflammatory, but the posts you made in this thread would not qualify on that count.
I was told to stop and I did. I agreed to be more accepting of people and their opinions. So I’m doing so. I don’t want to be dragged back into something again. Please respect that. I recently joined this
group and I’m not sure how these things work.

Im not threatening to you at all, I can actually help you in many ways. You can even help me, just need to get a long.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
12 AWG.

What color are your Ventos?

I have black 836 Ventos in my Den and White 820.2 Ventos in my bedroom. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was told to stop and I did. I agreed to be more accepting of people and their opinions. So I’m doing so. I don’t want to be dragged back into something again. Please respect that. I recently joined this
group and I’m not sure how these things work.

Im not threatening to you at all, I can actually help you in many ways. You can even help me, just need to get a long.
I'm fine with what you say in this post, but I would like to establish to what extent you should be trusted.
It seems you are feeding us a false narrative to blame someone else for the deletion of your posts when you say:
Sorry for all my posts being deleted. I didn’t have any control of that.
You should, by now, expect to be challenged, and it is very much in your self-interest to explain what happened.

If it was truly out of your control, explaining what happened will not offend anyone!

If you provide a viable explanation for your statement, that is how you avoid being "dragged back into something again"!

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
12 AWG.

What color are your Ventos?

I have black 836 Ventos in my Den and White 820.2 Ventos in my bedroom. :)
thanks; was planning on get the 12 awg but since it was a 40' run, i thought i might go with the 10. I got white surrounds so it matches with the paint a little better. if i like how they sound, i might get another pair for the height surrounds

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
KEW or Keith sounds like you have a real problem with me. Maybe its because I challenged you and you didn’t come out looking great.

I have nothing to prove here or want to muddy up the waters anymore. I was told to get along or move on. Something that has followed me for a couple years. Let’s just say if you want more information we can talk privately.

if I want to just talk to other canton owners I have to be civil. Making people feel bad is not my intention at all. Trying to help is more of what I’m doing. I really can help, I have owned hundreds of speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis