CANTON A45 45th Anniversary Limited Edition Speaker

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also, what's up with Canton's specs, with regard to bass frequency response? I see that they claim 20Hz for the 890.2. Given the cabinet size, how can they do that? What do you think is the real world bass extension?

And what is the difference between the Vento 890DC and the 890.2? Which is the newer model, and which is considered better?
I'm afraid I don't know much about Canton's frequency response specifications. Some companies (Klipsch & Paradigm, to name a couple) refer to a "typical in room" response that takes advantage of the room gain often seen in lower frequencies. Other companies use a -6dB or even -10dB rating for the FR.
Looking for a comparable speaker (dual 8" drivers), the SVS Ultra Tower gets 28Hz at -3dB.
https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower
So, I agree that the 20Hz is not likely a straight-forward -3dB spec.

The 890.2 is the more recent speaker and from the same series (and thus same or equivalent design of drivers) as my 820.2.
I have spent a while trying to establish the differences between these speakers and do not feel confident of anything. They have too many different speakers and do not provide this information. If you call A4L and ask for this information, they will likely refer you to their buyer for Canton speakers who has a pretty good handle on the models that A4L carries.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I'm afraid I don't know much about Canton's frequency response specifications. Some companies (Klipsch & Paradigm, to name a couple) refer to a "typical in room" response that takes advantage of the room gain often seen in lower frequencies. Other companies use a -6dB or even -10dB rating for the FR.
Looking for a comparable speaker (dual 8" drivers), the SVS Ultra Tower gets 28Hz at -3dB.
https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower
So, I agree that the 20Hz is not likely a straight-forward -3dB spec.

The 890.2 is the more recent speaker and from the same series (and thus same or equivalent design of drivers) as my 820.2.
I have spent a while trying to establish the differences between these speakers and do not feel confident of anything. They have too many different speakers and do not provide this information. If you call A4L and ask for this information, they will likely refer you to their buyer for Canton speakers who has a pretty good handle on the models that A4L carries.
Thanks for the info!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
He kept testing me on this with the Canton which I singled out vs T1 and I think only one live recording from the T1 made me feel as if I were at a concert hall watching a performance in any significant way, over the Canton.
Are you certain that was the T1/R vs the Canton?
In the first session of 4 songs, you unquestionably preferred the Canton over the T1/r on all 4 songs. When I asked you about any sense of size or scale (or "apparent source width") you said absolutely no sense of one being bigger than the other! This blew my mind, because (sighted) I was certain that the huge scale of the T1/r's speaker arrays was a dominant aspect of the nature of its sound!
In the second session, the Cantons were not in the mix. The JBL LS60 was your preference for 3 of 4 songs and the other song, you said the RBH T1/r tied the JBL LS60 because the T1/r's sound was more live and that compensated for the other aspects where the LS60 out performed the T1.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I believe the cabinets are better on the Vento and anniversary series than the GLE but mid 30s seems likely. Low 30s could be possible.
They could absolutely stand to breathe. I understand being built to a price point but man those were some fantastic drivers. Wish I was a cabinet builder. I could have done them justice.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Are you certain that was the T1/R vs the Canton?
In the first session of 4 songs, you unquestionably preferred the Canton over the T1/r on all 4 songs. When I asked you about any sense of size or scale (or "apparent source width") you said absolutely no sense of one being bigger than the other! This blew my mind, because (sighted) I was certain that the huge scale of the T1/r's speaker arrays was a dominant aspect of the nature of its sound!
In the second session, the Cantons were not in the mix. The JBL LS60 was your preference for 3 of 4 songs and the other song, you said the RBH T1/r tied the JBL LS60 because the T1/r's sound was more live and that compensated for the other aspects where the LS60 out performed the T1.

Sorry, my wording was a bit strange, I said that I preferred the T1 only 1 time.

It's frustrating because I love silk dome tweeters for how gentle they are on the ears. I still want to hear the Scanspeak Illuminator 6620 and the SEAS Excel Millennium that TLSGuy uses. But for absolute accuracy with any type of music, any Beryllium or the RAAL 70-10 are the best I've heard (including the JBL M2 with a Beryllium compression driver).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you've heard Infinity or Revel Ceramic tweeters, these are quite similar!
I feel compelled to comment on this. Revel and Infinity might make a comparable tweeter in their upper models, but having owned Infinity Primus P363 speakers which use the CMMD ceramic tweeters (I was mistaken, they are MMD, see the next post), the Canton tweeter is in a totally different league.
As a reference, I felt like the Pioneer/A. Jones SP-52 and BS-22 had a better tweeter than the Primus. The Primus is very good for what it cost, but if you are talking about this tweeter by Infinity, I have to say it isn't close!

The Infinity R162 also has a CMMD tweeter which is much better than the Primus series, the R162's are one of my favorite speakers (given quality for price paid) and the tweeter is pretty fine, but still not in league with the Canton Vento.

In any case, I want people who are familiar with the ubiquitous Primus to know that the Canton tweeter is not at all similar.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I feel compelled to comment on this. Revel and Infinity might make a comparable tweeter in their upper models, but having owned Infinity Primus P363 speakers which use the CMMD ceramic tweeters, the Canton tweeter is in a totally different league.
As a reference, I felt like the Pioneer/A. Jones SP-52 and BS-22 had a better tweeter than the Primus. The Primus is very good for what it cost, but if you are talking about this tweeter by Infinity, I have to say it isn't close!

The Infinity R162 also has a CMMD tweeter which is much better than the Primus series, the R162's are one of my favorite speakers (given quality for price paid) and the tweeter is pretty fine, but still not in league with the Canton Vento.

In any case, I want people who are familiar with the ubiquitous Primus to know that the Canton tweeter is not at all similar.
It's MMD on the Primus stuff. The ceramic 'C'MMD is on the next line up, whatever it was. It's been a while since I lusted after them so I forgot the name. I remember they were $500 a pair and mikec from Manila had them. I had to look it up : Beta. That's where you begin to get the 'C'. But your point stands regarding the Primus comparison. Mike is the only guy I know to have heard both Primus and Beta. The difference was substantial and that might have been a bass related observation.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the clarification, both Kurt and Alex!

I did not realize the Primus series used anything similar.... I cited Infinity because I have heard their Ceramic models before, which have been updated and are now known as Revel C10 and M10.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's MMD on the Primus stuff. The ceramic 'C'MMD is on the next line up, whatever it was. It's been a while since I lusted after them so I forgot the name. I remember they were $500 a pair and mikec from Manila had them. I had to look it up : Beta. That's where you begin to get the 'C'. But your point stands regarding the Primus comparison. Mike is the only guy I know to have heard both Primus and Beta. The difference was substantial and that might have been a bass related observation.
Thanks for setting me straight, Alex!
I did not realize the Primus series used anything similar.... I cited Infinity because I have heard their Ceramic models before, which have been updated and are now known as Revel C10 and M10.
I have the Infinity R162 speakers which have CMMD tweeters, so we can A-B them against the Cantons the next time you are over and you can formulate an opinion. I wonder if the Revel version is the same driver or has further enhancements. The R162 is advertised as:
1" CMMD tweeter with Advanced Image Control Waveguide

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for setting me straight, Alex!

I have the Infinity R162 speakers which have CMMD tweeters, so we can A-B them against the Cantons the next time you are over and you can formulate an opinion. I wonder if the Revel version is the same driver or has further enhancements. The R162 is advertised as:
I guess we'll find out.... for science! :p:p:p:p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Here I confused the R with a P that would be found in the Primus line having the same numbers. They gotta hire a better guy to name their speakers. At least now I know the pecking order to be Canton, Reference, Primus.

So where would a Behringer The Truth 2030P fall in line here? I had some P150s from Phil that only ever saw surround duty however I think the 2030Ps would outclass them. How does the Behringer tweeter stack up against CMMD in the Infinity and Canton flavors? A better question is where does the 2030P stand in that line up as a speaker. I will say that as a looker, it's probably the least WAF friendly.

EDIT: the linked Cantons from post 7's thread are now 900 bucks. I need to remember that I'm a DIY guy or a U do it for me guy, not a guy who has a collection of small, expensive, store bought speakers.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here I confused the R with a P that would be found in the Primus line having the same numbers. They gotta hire a better guy to name their speakers. At least now I know the pecking order to be Canton, Reference, Primus.

So where would a Behringer The Truth 2030P fall in line here? I had some P150s from Phil that only ever saw surround duty however I think the 2030Ps would outclass them. How does the Behringer tweeter stack up against CMMD in the Infinity and Canton flavors? A better question is where does the 2030P stand in that line up as a speaker. I will say that as a looker, it's probably the least WAF friendly.

EDIT: the linked Cantons from post 7's thread are now 900 bucks. I need to remember that I'm a DIY guy or a U do it for me guy, not a guy who has a collection of small, expensive, store bought speakers.
I can't give you an answer.
I had 2031p's as one of my earlier speakers, they were very nice; however,I had them before I had a good reference point to associate with them. I've no doubt that the Canton is better (because it beat my S-2's which definitely beat the Truth's...at maybe 7 times the cost). I'd be willing to bet the R162 is better but cannot swear to it. The P363 would probably yield to the Truth's.

If you get the Cantons in White, they are $800 and when you put them in the cart, they see a 10% discount to $720. Because the Black are $900, they'd be $810 after you put them in cart.
The unique thing about the Cantons is they are a small box (around the size of the Pioneer BS-22) they have no problem filling my LR without stress, but if you have a smaller room that you want high quality sound in but want to minimize the presence of the speakers, these are spectacular!
Also, they are not laid-back speakers (interpretation - I suspect they may be slightly forward, I like that, as long as they are smooth - there are no jumps/steps up or down in the FR).

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
If anyone is looking for some really good towers (based on the SQ of the 820.2 bookshelf version I have) at a great price...Accessories4Less is still running the same 10% discount, but they have quietly dropped the prices on the Vento 890.2's since I made the post above by $200 for the White and $100 for the Black and Cherry.
After you put it in the cart to see the 10% discount, the price for each is:
$900 for White 890.2
$1080 for Black 890.2
$1170 for Cherry 890.2
I think that puts the White below their cost for Black Friday 2017!
Looks like they "quietly" raised the prices back up a bit. I wonder if they'll drop them again?

L

ljbrandt

Audioholic Intern
Doesn't the A45 basically use the same drivers (and tweeter) as the Reference k series, in a different enclosure? I think the tweeter is probably the same (or better) than the Vento 820.2, which is already apparently better than the one used in the 9.2 dc?!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Doesn't the A45 basically use the same drivers (and tweeter) as the Reference k series, in a different enclosure? I think the tweeter is probably the same (or better) than the Vento 820.2, which is already apparently better than the one used in the 9.2 dc?!
The 820.2 is a great pair of bookshelves! Best money I’ve spent on this hobby. :)

(Were $740 this summer when I got them, but are $700 now)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty sure you've got it right.
You can call a4l and ask. The guy there who buys Canton knows his product fairly well.
You might ask to speak to the buyer for Canton. Otherwise a sales guy will be looking at their own spec sheets for the info, and IMHO, Canton's array of products is too convoluted for me to feel comfortable with definitive interpretation.
Don't get me wrong, a 4L has very good support. Their salespeople are not random high school kids answering the phone! But in this case I would want to hear it from the most knowledgeable person they have on location.

L

ljbrandt

Audioholic Intern
Pretty sure you've got it right.
You can call a4l and ask. The guy there who buys Canton knows his product fairly well.
You might ask to speak to the buyer for Canton. Otherwise a sales guy will be looking at their own spec sheets for the info, and IMHO, Canton's array of products is too convoluted for me to feel comfortable with definitive interpretation.
Don't get me wrong, a 4L has very good support. Their salespeople are not random high school kids answering the phone! But in this case I would want to hear it from the most knowledgeable person they have on location.
I'm debating on pulling the trigger on the 820.2 or going all in with the A45 BS (which is supposed to be very close to their Reference 9k offering - same drivers, different box). I really shouldn't be shopping for more speakers, but I'm super curious to hear the Canton ceramic tweeter and see how it compares to my MB Quart VS05's.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm debating on pulling the trigger on the 820.2 or going all in with the A45 BS (which is supposed to be very close to their Reference 9k offering - same drivers, different box). I really shouldn't be shopping for more speakers, but I'm super curious to hear the Canton ceramic tweeter and see how it compares to my MB Quart VS05's.
I’m selling my practically brand new Vento Reference .2 right here in the classifieds. Fantastic. And probably the best bookshelf speakers in my opinion. I’m trying to thin my stash out and after all the purchase chose the Focal Aria 926 tower.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis