Cannot seem to find an affordable upgrade from current speakers

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
And this is Stereophile - Imagine Mini
Wow! I stand corrected. Thanks - I don't want to be a source of misinformation!!!
Thanks for that!
The Black line is the Summed response, Blue is the Woofer, and Red is the Port.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How does that [measurements] speak for their overall sonic sound signature - that is,
the actual sound performance coming live from the speaker to the listener ears?:)

No printed paper work has ever proven to me, that one speaker will actually sound
better to my ear than the other one, or even clobber it based on the perception of
sound to my brain, from what my eyes see.:)
Its ironic that paper measurements are used to dismiss the Minis without an audition, yet have one of the flattest responses out there. The subjective reviews indicated that they would easily integrate with a sub.

I also won't lose sleep over the OP's decision...its not my money I'm throwing out. :p

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I suggest you audition them before dismissing them so quickly. From reading teh subject review, they seem to offer more bass than the measurements seem to indicate.
I'm dismissing them primarily because they are too costly.

I have a pair of M&K S-80 monitors. I'd wager their FR is about the same and they are credited for being very linear as well. I just don't enjoy them as much for music.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I may lose a
little sleep, if he chooses something like a used Kenwood speaker.:D
I have some used Kenwood speakers already. Given that they are Kenwood brand and they came with a Kenwood mini system they sound better than I expected. They use a 4" midbass and a 1" inverted tweeter (like Focal, without any refinement). They sound fine for a bedroom stereo.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Its ironic that paper measurements are used to dismiss the Minis without an audition, yet have one of the flattest responses out there. The subjective reviews indicated that they would easily integrate with a sub.
The paper work shows the bass response - no one said not to buy them.:)

They can handle an 80 hz crossover with a subwoofer, if one desires to do so.

I have experience with PSB speakers, they do make nice stuff.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have experience with PSB speakers, they do make nice stuff.
As do I, I've actually been keeping my ears to the ground for an imagine series bookshelf in the used marketplaces, but they consistantly maintain a cost that is too heavy for me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have some used Kenwood speakers already. Given that they are Kenwood brand and they came with a Kenwood mini system they sound better than I expected. They use a 4" midbass and a 1" inverted tweeter (like Focal, without any refinement). They sound fine for a bedroom stereo.
I have owned some Kenwood speakers - they were interesting. They could/can be OK.
They would be more decent, if they did some crossover work - plus put some damping
inside the speaker.

However, I did like/enjoy their car speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm dismissing them primarily because they are too costly.

I have a pair of M&K S-80 monitors. I'd wager their FR is about the same and they are credited for being very linear as well. I just don't enjoy them as much for music.
Are you looking for used speakers? Both the Boston and the PSBs are very close in msrp price

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Are you looking for used speakers? Both the Boston and the PSBs are very close in msrp price
A4L has the Bostons for $340 a pair shipped. I have not had the PSB Imagine Mini show up in my saved searches. When I do see Imagine series stuff pop up, used or new, it's often very expensive.

Used sets of the Imagine Mini have sold for about $400 consistantly, new ones are going for about $500 on the bay.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
All this said I'm extremely aggressive on bargain hunting. This thread has helped me gather a string of candidates to keep my eyes out for. I'm not in a desperate situation of upgraditus, I just want to know what's available that suits my tastes and would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Infinitys without breaking the bank. Ideally I'd like to find a set of Sonus Fabers, but they tend to be quite expensive, so I just dream of getting a set at auction.

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of auditioning any of these speakers as there is no dealers for hardly any hi-fi in the area and I work every day but Sunday from 9am-6pm. This is why I've come here to get some assistance on the most controversial of recomendations, because you guys are all I have.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I had The PSB minis in my office and thought they were rather dull sounding , as in they didn't move me at all. I actually bought a second pair thinking there was something wrong with the first.
This was just my experience in a rather live 10 x 10 x 9 room but they did nothing for me at all.
I then tried a pair of CM- ones which were better however not good enough.
I found my huckleberry with Dynaudio Focus 110's.
The original speakers I had in there were E-41B's and should have stuck with them as I spent $$ trying to improve on their sound- they just sounded a bit thin on the midrange but looking back , some room treatments likely would've cured it.
They were to die for with piano and string music.
Cheers, Mac

Matt34

Matt34

Just and update on the WaveCrest HVL-1, I got them dialed in with my Denon 4311 and x-over to my sealed Dayton Ultimax 15" DIY sub at 80hz (Audyssey set them at 60hz during auto calibration, it sets the Behringers to 110hz). They are very smooth sounding with a relaxing top end, I almost want a little more sparkle but it's not an offending omission. The cabinets are are not as solid feeling as the Behringers but they are a smaller speaker overall, less panel surface.

So far so good for a $188 set of speakers....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I had The PSB minis in my office and thought they were rather dull sounding , as in they didn't move me at all. I actually bought a second pair thinking there was something wrong with the first.
This was just my experience in a rather live 10 x 10 x 9 room but they did nothing for me at all.
That is why one can not guarantee overall performance, based on measurements alone.

I have owned a lot of speakers to know/learn, that audition and sound testing is the key.

It would be nice if RBH/EMP still made them E-41B speakers, I have been curious about them.

It is an interesting hobby - as the audio world continues to turn!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been intrigued by those for some time but my trepidation is with 30 year old rubber surrounds. What happens when they crack up and break?
I have never had a rubber surround fail in the way you describe.

The drive units in the ones my mother uses are fine. Those were bought new in Canterbury. I have six KEF B139 in use that are a lot older then that. Four have been used hard for forty years. The two KEF B139s I installed in the OP when I was are still fine.

The rubber surrounds on 10 Dynaudio drivers I'm still using are fine. All those drivers were bought between 1984 and 1988.

All this is significant, as at that time all European butyl rubber surrounds were sourced from one German manufacturer.

The only surrounds I have replaced have been foam ones.

You won't go wrong with those. The have a much bigger sound than most book shelves. F3 is 65 Hz and since they are sealed they are only 15 db down at 32 Hz and so they are not 24 db down until 25 Hz.

They may be older than the others you are looking at here and at the top end of your price range, but they are worth every penny and they come with the correct stands.

They were designed by guys who really new what they were doing. The designers invented laser interferometry to assist in speaker design, both for cone break up study and cabinet wall movement. That SL series were in so many ways revolutionary.

I would bet you won't be looking for speakers again if you go for those.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A4L has the Bostons for $340 a pair shipped. I have not had the PSB Imagine Mini show up in my saved searches. When I do see Imagine series stuff pop up, used or new, it's often very expensive.

Used sets of the Imagine Mini have sold for about $400 consistantly, new ones are going for about $500 on the bay.
I was referring to the M25 msrp. Looks liek you are going the used route.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That is why one can not guarantee overall performance, based on measurements alone.

I have owned a lot of speakers to know/learn, that audition and sound testing is the key.

It would be nice if RBH/EMP still made them E-41B speakers, I have been curious about them.

It is an interesting hobby - as the audio world continues to turn!
or base it on one man's subjective experience. o_O

I agree that auditioning is a must and I don't just rely on measurements. However, if the subjective comments of the reviewers don't align with the measurements, then I question the review as a whole because it shows an inconsistency with either the reviewer or the measurements taken. Perhaps the reviewers preferences gravitate to a rising treble response which the Minis don't have. In the case of Soundstage review, the subjective comments aligned with the measurements.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
or base it on one man's subjective experience. o_O
That's what I'm asking for, subjective experience. I know that is controversial with some people, but I don't completely discredit subjective opinions.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what I'm asking for, subjective experience. I know that is controversial with some people, but I don't completely discredit subjective opinions.
I see no problem with it as long as your personal preferences align with those offering the subjective experiences.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis