Cannot seem to find an affordable upgrade from current speakers

Matt34

Matt34

The Sonus Faber speakers are great looking but I preferred the Focal V700 series when it actually came to sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know I shouldn't be surprised about how everyone has a different opinion, but it is still interesting. :)
So does it say anything regarding the importance of FR measurements? :)
While NHT would not be my first preference - they do not sound sharp or edgy and are
not really forward to me. Klipsch does have that aggressive and forward nature to me.

Now in this unique, subjective and objective audio world - some people may take the copy
of speaker measurements [regardless of brand], and use them to line the box that they will
pour cat litter in.:) While others even if the speakers sound the best they have heard, will
not buy them unless they have near perfect measurements.

As the Audio World Turns!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
While NHT would not be my first preference - they do not sound sharp or edgy and are
not really forward to me. Klipsch does have that aggressive and forward nature to me.

Now in this unique, subjective and objective audio world - some people may take the copy
of speaker measurements [regardless of brand], and use them to line the box that they will
pour cat litter in.:) While others even if the speakers sound the best they have heard, will
not buy them unless they have near perfect measurements.

As the Audio World Turns!
My boss really loves those Klipsch RF82 towers. I told him that a lot people love Klipsch. :)

I guess I've never listened extensively to Klipsch so I can't say I understand the remarks about them being bright or forward.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, I guess my recollection was way off, I must be biased. This may prove difficult.

My options for buying used we will say eBay and Audiogon are my pooling options. I'd like to stay at or under $500 for potential candidates. The reasons I look for used speakers are two fold. First, resell; if I end up having the speakers for 6 months and get tired of them I might be able to recover my full investment. Second is I am more likely to get more speaker for my money buying used.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it would not hurt to contact Dennis Murphy just to talk about it.
Who is Dennis Murphy? I remember Chris (WMAX) talked to me about modifying my set of Interludes. I think if I wanted to do that I would buy a second hand pair to do it with, so I'm not potentially ruining my existing ones.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I guess I could add that I'll be using whatever I get with a Teac A-1D 50 watt per channel integrated amplifier and a Paradigm PS-1000 v1. The Digm comfortably covers 25-70hz with any weirdness. It gets really good room gain in the 30-45 range which I enjoy. It gave me the impression of more LFE than it actually achieves (I learned this through some recent testing). My M&K V-125 goes lower but doesn't have the dynamics I like.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Who is Dennis Murphy? I remember Chris (WMAX) talked to me about modifying my set of Interludes. I think if I wanted to do that I would buy a second hand pair to do it with, so I'm not potentially ruining my existing ones.
The guy who does the Salks and Phils.

You don't have to go all Chris on them. You've already plugged the port. Just adding some stuffing or cloth wrapped mineral to the back wall could help. If you want to add some bracing that's a much more involved process that requires tools glue and a first aid kit.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to add some bracing that's a much more involved process that requires tools glue and a first aid kit.
Hence the consideration of a second pair. They don't go for much these days. Chris had always stood by Infinity's CMMD tweeters and the midbass driver is no slouch either.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm thinking I should stick with speakers that use some sort of wave guide in my more restricted listening space, would I be correct assuming this?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm thinking I should stick with speakers that use some sort of wave guide in my more restricted listening space, would I be correct assuming this?
Wave guides are like a magic bullet for some room acoustic issues.

Have you considered Hsu? They have 2.1 rigs within your budget, depending on which sub you go with.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
He is Philharmonic Audio - and he plays in an orchestra.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/

He is well known in the DIY community
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html

Does crossover work for Salk speakers
http://www.salksound.com/home.htm

He modified 2 sets of speakers that I have owned or listened to.
One is the Pioneer BS22 speakers - that would be an ear opener
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/murphyblaster-pioneer-bs22-dna-speaker.87887/

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hence the consideration of a second pair. They don't go for much these days. Chris had always stood by Infinity's CMMD tweeters and the midbass driver is no slouch either.
You couldn't go wrong picking up a second pair and doing some mods. If you want to use Chris techniques let me know. I used them in my last speaker design.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wave guides are like a magic bullet for some room acoustic issues.

Have you considered Hsu? They have 2.1 rigs within your budget, depending on which sub you go with.
I have a sub, I'm not sure the HSU sats would be up to snuff.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You couldn't go wrong picking up a second pair and doing some mods. If you want to use Chris techniques let me know. I used them in my last speaker design.
I'm assuming crossover needs changed/replaced along with cabinet reinforcements?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I must be old, I just figured out what that meant.
I am the one that is not as young as I use to be - however, I still think of myself
as being young.:)

I have been checking Ebay and Audiogon - nothing really stands out at the moment.
However, the Platinum Audio Studio 1 speakers by Phil Jones, is one to look in to.
They will have good bass for their size, since Phil is a drummer - and the sensitivity
is on the lower side.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I saw those Platinum Audio Studio 1s, what concerns me is that flat front baffle. Placement options are limited and I would anticipate an uphill battle with placement. I recently had some Thiel floorstanders, cs.5 I think, and had a flat mount baffle and no amount of positioning in my small confined listening space could render ideal results.

I did see a pair of new LSA Model 1 speakers and have read good things about them. It's discouraging to me that they are manufactured in the PRC much like Peachtree's ERA which I have had and liked. I had the D4 and I just needed something with a little more oomph, but they did sound sweet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis