Canare 4S11 compared to Monoprice 16AWG speaker wire.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was looking for new speaker cables. The speaker wires I was replacing are Monster M Series M2.4 that I have had for 10+ years. I am happy with the Monster speaker wire however because of the weight of the speaker wire it was pulling down on the connecting points on my Arcam AVR-850. I have thought about moving the AVR-850 to the lowest portion of my audio rack to reduce the amount of weight placed on the speaker connection points but I prefer to keep the AVR-850 in its current location.

I have read articles and watched videos on what is important when it comes to speaker cables by Gene. So, here is where I am at. I have Monoprice Choice Series 16 AWG pure copper speaker wire; I also have Monster XP 16 AWG speaker wire. I am using the Monoprice for connecting my rear surround sound speakers. I have borrowed some Canare 4S11 speaker cables from a friend to try in my system.

The speaker cable distance for my front left and right speakers is 10 feet. My front speakers are Mirage OMD-28’s rated at 6 ohms. Over the past week I have switched out the Monoprice 16 AWG, Monster XP 16 AWG, and the Canare 4S11. I am using my OPPO-205 and the Fleetwood Mac SACD for listening while changing out the above-mentioned speaker cables.
The Canare 4S11 sounds the best and the Monoprice 16 AWG and Monster XP 16 AWG sounds the same. The highs when using the Monoprice and Monster XP do not sound as crisp and sound dull compared to the Canare 4S11.

The Canare 4S11 is a 11 AWG wire when the 2 conductors (4 total) are joined to the amp / receiver. If memory serves me correct, I should not need anything more than a 16 AWG speaker cable at the distance (10’). However, there is a sound difference for the better when using the Canare over the Monoprice and Monster XP.

I am considering buying the Canare 4S11 after listening to it in my system. I am wondering if the difference I am hearing in Canare is because it is a different gauge speaker wire. I have read on various different audio forums that people have stated using a lower gauge speaker wire sounded better. I take what I read with a grain of salt.

What are the thoughts of my fellow music listeners? Before listening to the Canare 4S11 I was thinking about getting the Monoprice 12 AWG speaker wire. But I am thinking about going with the Canare 4S11 since I like the sound. Two other cables I am thinking about are the Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG and the KnuKonceptz Kord 10 AWG. My reasoning for considering the 10 AWG speaker wire is the sound of the Canare 4S11 at 11 AWG when two of the four conductors are joined together.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was looking for new speaker cables. The speaker wires I was replacing are Monster M Series M2.4 that I have had for 10+ years. I am happy with the Monster speaker wire however because of the weight of the speaker wire it was pulling down on the connecting points on my Arcam AVR-850. I have thought about moving the AVR-850 to the lowest portion of my audio rack to reduce the amount of weight placed on the speaker connection points but I prefer to keep the AVR-850 in its current location.

I have read articles and watched videos on what is important when it comes to speaker cables by Gene. So, here is where I am at. I have Monoprice Choice Series 16 AWG pure copper speaker wire; I also have Monster XP 16 AWG speaker wire. I am using the Monoprice for connecting my rear surround sound speakers. I have borrowed some Canare 4S11 speaker cables from a friend to try in my system.

The speaker cable distance for my front left and right speakers is 10 feet. My front speakers are Mirage OMD-28’s rated at 6 ohms. Over the past week I have switched out the Monoprice 16 AWG, Monster XP 16 AWG, and the Canare 4S11. I am using my OPPO-205 and the Fleetwood Mac SACD for listening while changing out the above-mentioned speaker cables.
The Canare 4S11 sounds the best and the Monoprice 16 AWG and Monster XP 16 AWG sounds the same. The highs when using the Monoprice and Monster XP do not sound as crisp and sound dull compared to the Canare 4S11.

The Canare 4S11 is a 11 AWG wire when the 2 conductors (4 total) are joined to the amp / receiver. If memory serves me correct, I should not need anything more than a 16 AWG speaker cable at the distance (10’). However, there is a sound difference for the better when using the Canare over the Monoprice and Monster XP.

I am considering buying the Canare 4S11 after listening to it in my system. I am wondering if the difference I am hearing in Canare is because it is a different gauge speaker wire. I have read on various different audio forums that people have stated using a lower gauge speaker wire sounded better. I take what I read with a grain of salt.

What are the thoughts of my fellow music listeners? Before listening to the Canare 4S11 I was thinking about getting the Monoprice 12 AWG speaker wire. But I am thinking about going with the Canare 4S11 since I like the sound. Two other cables I am thinking about are the Belden 5T00UP 10 AWG and the KnuKonceptz Kord 10 AWG. My reasoning for considering the 10 AWG speaker wire is the sound of the Canare 4S11 at 11 AWG when two of the four conductors are joined together.
Why not attach the cables to the rear of the rack, to reduce the hanging weight? This is done when the equipment is rack-mounted (metal equipment racks), with lacing bars. Anything that holds the cabling in place will work, though- could be as simple as one cable with a screw-down wire tie and the others attached to that one.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
The picture is of the Monster M2.4. As you can see these cables are thick and the silver piece with the black rubber bands around it really put some weight to the cable. I am actually using a a stereo stand instead of a stereo rack. I believe these cables were designed to be connected to a amp that is placed on the floor so the angle the cables are minimized compared to going almost vertical when the AVR is placed in an elevated position.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
Here is a picture of my stereo stand. I have already moved the Arcam from the top shelve to a lower position.
Stereo stand.jpg

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
Monster must love you lol.
I know, truth be told everything (Monster) was purchased used or open box back in the mid 2000's. The speaker wires were purchased used as well. I paid around $250 for the pair.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
Are you sure you are doing a valid comparison?
I did the best I could. My wife of 33 years who does not share my passion for listening to music also agreed with me.

I was able to change out the speaker cables within 20 seconds for both sides. She sat approximately 5 feet from the speakers with her back towards the speakers. I would play the Fleetwood Mac Rumors SACD and used the track 7 (The Chain). I did not tell her what I thought sounded the best but asked her to tell me after she listened.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did the best I could. My wife of 33 years who does not share my passion for listening to music also agreed with me.

I was able to change out the speaker cables within 20 seconds for both sides. She sat approximately 5 feet from the speakers with her back towards the speakers. I would play the Fleetwood Mac Rumors SACD and used the track 7 (The Chain). I did not tell her what I thought sounded the best but asked her to tell me after she listened.
I suspect it is still invalid. That's too long for a change in cable, quick switching would be better or a dbx test would be better. That you even believe in the cable nonsense could be enough.

Last edited:
Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
I suspect it is still invalid. That's too long for a change in cable, quick switching would be better for a dbx test would be better. That you even believe in the cable nonsense could be enough.
Understood, this all started when I removed the Monster M 2.4's and I replaced them with the Moster XP 16 AWG i had in storage along with the Monoprice 16AWG. I sat down to listen and at first I thought I shut off the DIRAC room correction on the Arcam. I could tell immediately the sound of the highs was different and sounded not as crisp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Understood, this all started when I removed the Monster M 2.4's and I replaced them with the Moster XP 16 AWG i had in storage along with the Monoprice 16AWG. I sat down to listen and at first I thought I shut off the DIRAC room correction on the Arcam. I could tell immediately the sound of the highs was different and sounded not as crisp.
Could simply be expectation bias. Hard to know. I certainly wouldn't worry about speaker wire if it is of sufficient gauge for the length needed. Enjoy the music, not the wire.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I use 4S11 for my DIY speaker with active crossover, simply because I can keep wires better organized with two pairs bound together - each of the four drivers gets its own amp, so two runs of 4S11 are used.
That said I don’t hear anything remarkable about the cable itself. Unless your older cables are starting to oxidize, you may just be experiencing upgraditis!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I know, truth be told everything (Monster) was purchased used or open box back in the mid 2000's. The speaker wires were purchased used as well. I paid around $250 for the pair.
I'm just joking around with you. Nothing wrong with a lot of their products other than being over priced. Their power centers, when purchased at the right price, are nice. All of my power is Tripplite currently due to racking space.

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
I use 4S11 for my DIY speaker with active crossover, simply because I can keep wires better organized with two pairs bound together - each of the four drivers gets its own amp, so two runs of 4S11 are used.
That said I don’t hear anything remarkable about the cable itself. Unless your older cables are starting to oxidize, you may just be experiencing upgraditis!
I never thought I would replace the Monster M2.4's until I decided to do some cable management. It was at that time I could see the Monster M2.4's pulling down on the attachment points on the back of the Arcam.

The speaker wire (Monster XP and Monoprice) looks great. All my HDMI cables and banana plugs are from Monoprice. I have also been using their Monolith 15" sub. The Monster XP wire is on the left and the Monoprice is on the right.
Speaker wire.jpg

Grunt66

Grunt66

Audioholic Intern
I'm just joking around with you. Nothing wrong with a lot of their products other than being over priced. Their power centers, when purchased at the right price, are nice. All of my power is Tripplite currently due to racking space.
It's all good. The Monster AVR-2000 helped out when we moved into our house back in the early 2000's. Our lights would dim because of voltage drops. SDG&E (Utility provider) came out and replaced the electrical connections on the house. Still during the summer it has corrected up to 10 volts in the evening time when most people are home from work.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Most people are going to say with short speaker cable runs as you have, there should be no noticeable difference.

But is the difference you are hearing possible, Yes ? Your 11g speaker wire is going to have less resistance than your 16g wire. Most of the time it should not make a difference . Yet when your factor in your speakers impedance of 6ohm and the rise and fall on that impedance during playback at different frequencies. It is possible to hear a difference. Whether most people could tell a difference or not, that's up for debate.
However there is no need or real benefit going from your current 11g to 10g, neither a perceivable or measurable difference.
Bottom line is, I think it's all system dependent, as far as with your amplification and speakers as to whether or not there is an audible difference or not. If you and your wife can hear a difference, stick with what sounds best to the both of you.
Don't let others opinions that might tell you it's all a placebo effect or you can't hear a difference make your decision. Even if it is a placebo effect (i'm not saying it is), if that effect is what you like, stick with it.
Dont forget the number one rule in audio. Everybody has their own opinions, but the only one that really matters is what sounds the best to you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis