Can your sub take the intro from Live Die Repeat without farting

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am wondering if anyone measure the frequency content of this part and level in ref to 0 dBFS.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I rented the Blu-ray from Redbox and had no idea the intro was there prior to watching the movie the first time. I had the volume at reference level and my subs handled it fine, but it did a great job of startling the crap out of me. More impressive than Cloverfield IMO. I was so impressed I immediately ordered it from Amazon. Underrated movie to boot.
I agree. With Tom Cruise movies, it's always hit or miss.

This one was a definite hit.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Ya, you may need to double up on those to get any appreciable output, given that these 3 are your only options - unless you could build your own sub with locally sourced parts.

DJ
Hmm. You don't really add a second sub to get more output. You add it to smooth out room modes.

If more output is your goal, upgrade to a better sub that can give it to you.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
A lot of people get additional subs to do both things - get more output and smooth things out.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
In my old room, I have only pushed the subs on my GE T1s to 10oclock anymore and I felt I would blow out the windows in my loft :)

When my new HT room is finished I will try this out, so far no farts on anything. The old standby for me was "Going back to Cali" by LL COOL J...yes I am old

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

LCR (MIX)

Waterfall monitored on THX sound system of opening title, no problems on the JBL sound system. I rehearse new films to see where the lows are going in terms of frequency dynamic range and often fader is set a lesser level and I got my eyes on the Spectrum Lab, while watching/listening to the new films.

LFE.1 on the JBL had no snags. No huff puffing or chuffing of the three little piggies house or I'll blow you're house in.

Sidewall surround arrays.

Rear back surrounds.

The overhead and below surround will more less show the same, until the films action scenes get underway and I rarely saw any below 20Hz mostly within 20Hz and 80Hz regions for most higher peaks.

LCR (MIX)

End credits at last few seconds with reverse frequency sweep I might as well run a REW sweep forward/backwards.

I like Repeat Live the end credits more and most I have played the end credits is well over and over. :D

My cat recommends it. :p

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I just drove 50 miles to BB to pick up this movie, payed full price $24.99 just to see what all this hype is all about. I am only about 5 minutes into it but will watch it later on tonight. Well I went 9 clicks past reference level and no farting on my subs.
Well I had to watch it couldn't wait. Anyway it gave my system a hell of a workout. Did not go too crazy on the volume (just not in the mood today) Ref. level and my processor is 31 had it up to 40 only a few seconds at a time. Did watch the whole movie at 20 and the sound was impressive, (plot I am not too sure about) but it was worth $25.00.

Last edited:
Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Just ordered the 3D Blu-ray of LDR from Amazon... it hit $19.99 today...

I'll let youz guyz know if I can make it through the movie without farting...

Something tells me I just may be able to do it...
Beano.jpg

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
As show in the speclab plot, the opening sequence of the movie has five distinct tones recorded very hot.....around 120 dB. The tones are at 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10 Hz. If you are listening at reference level and your subs are not "farting", hitting limiters, or bottoming out, then it is likely because you have four or more very high quality 18" sealed subs. If not, then your sub(s) are either not playing the frequencies, or the limiters are squashing output before the drivers can bottom out. But I am sure this scene causes all but the most capable of multi sub systems either hit their limiters, or fart.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As show in the speclab plot, the opening sequence of the movie has five distinct tones recorded very hot.....around 120 dB. The tones are at 30, 25, 20, 15, and 10 Hz. If you are listening at reference level and your subs are not "farting", hitting limiters, or bottoming out, then it is likely because you have four or more very high quality 18" sealed subs. If not, then your sub(s) are either not playing the frequencies, or the limiters are squashing output before the drivers can bottom out. But I am sure this scene causes all but the most capable of multi sub systems either hit their limiters, or fart.
Exactly.
I doubt any of us are listening close to reference levels (and know I wouldn't enjoy that experience). I really don't believe the theater I went to played it that loud. I think it would have caught my attention.
This is not an effort at a controlled or scientific test, but it has done a good job of helping us push the limits of our subs and see what "gives"!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Exactly.
I doubt any of us are listening close to reference levels (and know I wouldn't enjoy that experience). I really don't believe the theater I went to played it that loud. I think it would have caught my attention.
This is not an effort at a controlled or scientific test, but it has done a good job of helping us push the limits of our subs and see what "gives"!
Speak for yourself :p :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I played it fairly loud Saturday afternoon (next time I'll measure with the SPL meter) and the sub remained composed. My nephew who was sitting beside told me right after the playing that my wife would be down seconds later.. Sure enough she was there ask ing if we were OK. Needless to say I was wearing a sh?t eating grin.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis