Can you use your pre-outs as well as run speakers from the terminals on the same channel?

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
I tired researching this question and could not find an answer. I have a Marantz 6014 and wanted to add more speakers to other rooms. Can i plug in a external amp to my pre-out's and also run speakers from the same speaker terminals?(like lets say i plug into the back of my receiver my front left and right channel, then i plug into the FR and FL pre out and connect to an external amplifier and try to run 4 speakers off just the FR and FL?)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally the pre-outs are live full time. But this is what zones are for....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you run zones in the same room as mains? Sounds convoluted....

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
Why would you run zones in the same room as mains? Sounds convoluted....
im not running different zones but i am using the channels that would be used for different zones for my living room(Meaning the height 1 and 2 are being used for my heights speakers and i wanted to just change it so i used them as zone channel)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You are trying to game your gear... I don't think it will work. :) Your heights in the main room, even if not using the amp stage, will still be linked to the programming of what speakers are turned on in your AVR...
In other words, if I understand your idea, your height amp stage, and Height pre-outs are still tied to each other, and you cannot send Pre-Out to one Zone, and Line-Level to another.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You have a specific zone 2 preout....
Marantz labels the Height channels for Zone 2 as an option. Our friendly OP is trying to turn his 11-channel processor into a 13-channel processor from the sound of it. ;)

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I tired researching this question and could not find an answer. I have a Marantz 6014 and wanted to add more speakers to other rooms. Can i plug in a external amp to my pre-out's and also run speakers from the same speaker terminals?(like lets say i plug into the back of my receiver my front left and right channel, then i plug into the FR and FL pre out and connect to an external amplifier and try to run 4 speakers off just the FR and FL?)
Double dipping ;-) ?

In general, once you pre-out the amp channels , those amp channels on AVR become off-limits...,unless you're able to reassign the corresponding amp channels .,which is only possible in certain models(that I'm aware..certain D&M models) , to Height channels.

Maybe you are referring to this in Marantz 6014., a amp-reassign the Front speakers to Height speakers

1586218684427.png

When “Assign Mode” is set to “7.1ch + ZONE2”, “7.1ch (Bi-Amp)” or “7.1ch + Front B” in the menu, the assigned channels are output from HEIGHT2 speaker terminals.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
ie.., those front channels get reassigned to output to Height1 or Height2 speaker terminals based on the amp assign config

See this for more details

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There is no problem electrically speaking, but I don't know why one would do it this way.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
im not running different zones but i am using the channels that would be used for different zones for my living room(Meaning the height 1 and 2 are being used for my heights speakers and i wanted to just change it so i used them as zone channel)
I thought you wanted to use the front amp channels for something else, after pre-outting them..,which is what the Amp assign helps with , as above.
Or Are you referring to this config ?

1586221988031.png

1586221621699.png

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
There is no problem electrically speaking, but I don't know why one would do it this way.
If I remember, from the last Marantz episode, the front channels got reassigned to Height terminals , by default when I chose a Pre-out config in SR7010 ...ie I got no o/p from the front speaker terminals, after pre-outting them and amp reassignment to Height channels.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I remember, from the last Marantz episode, the front channels got reassigned to Height terminals , by default when I chose a Pre-out config in SR7010 ...ie I got no o/p from the front speaker terminals, after pre-outting them and amp reassignment to Height channels.
He wasn't talking about "assign" at all if I understood right. I thought he just want to use both FL/FR pre-outs and the FL/FR speaker terminals at the same time. That means he could have two pairs of speakers doing the exact same thing. I am not clear why he needs to do such thing.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
He wasn't talking about "assign" at all if I understood right. I thought he just want to use both FL/FR pre-outs and the FL/FR speaker terminals at the same time. That means he could have two pairs of speakers doing the exact same thing. I am not clear why he needs to do such thing.
Looks like we scared @highrider704 away ;-)

What I was trying to get at is his current speaker & amp assign config. This is a 9 channel amp with 11 processing channels(& speaker terminals). He indicated he's already using the Height1 & Height2 channels (ie all amp channels already taken).

Since he's already doing the pre-out on Front speaker terminals, the front channel amps , either explicitly or implicitly got reassigned to the Height channels.

Assuming thats the case, his front speaker terminals will output nothing (ie becomes dummy) and even if he attempts to double-dip and connect different speakers to the front terminals(thats already pre-outed & reassigned), its going to be an useless exercise - no power o/p( even if electrically no problem).

Right ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like we scared @highrider704 away ;-)

What I was trying to get at is his current speaker & amp assign config. This is a 9 channel amp with 11 processing channels(& speaker terminals). He indicated he's already using the Height1 & Height2 channels (ie all amp channels already taken).

Since he's already doing the pre-out on Front speaker terminals, the front channel amps , either explicitly or implicitly got reassigned to the Height channels.

Assuming thats the case, his front speaker terminals will output nothing (ie becomes dummy) and even if he attempts to double-dip and connect different speakers to the front terminals(thats already pre-outed & reassigned), its going to be an useless exercise - no power o/p( even if electrically no problem).

Right ?
Agreed, if he has already assigned the FL/FR then the FL/FR speaker terminals will have no input but I don't think he explicitly said he had done so. I re-read his posts and I think your consumption is likely correct though and in that case you answered his question already.

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
So what i meant was i want to run 4 speaker off my fronts, two from the channels on the back of the receiver and two running from the external amplifier coming out of the pre-outs? Does this make sense?

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
Marantz labels the Height channels for Zone 2 as an option. Our friendly OP is trying to turn his 11-channel processor into a 13-channel processor from the sound of it. ;)
Exactly!!!! Do you think i can do it??

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You can, as was said, probably connect wires to the binding posts, and unless you have reassigned the amp stage, there will likely be a signal there.
If you are trying to run multiple sets of speakers for your mains, you will lose all control over room correction, and you will introduce what will likely be a nightmare of comb filtering and/or other distortion.
If you run them to a different room, they will only output the associated channel signal that is being played through the AVR... so no Zone 2 in the true meaning of that term: no discreet multi-zone audio.

It is your system so you are welcome to try. Of course if there is any reason why it may not like what you are doing, expect it to lock up and require a trip to an authorized service center to unlock. Right now, by your description, you are using it to the max; all 11 channels are in use. Anything beyond that will likely void the warranty if it is still valid.

H

highrider704

Enthusiast
so i could run 4 fronts and then be able to have my height channels as my zone 2 in a different room. Does that make sense?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis