Can you use your pre-outs as well as run speakers from the terminals on the same channel?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did do a YPAO general set-up, just haven't had time to do some tweaks. I tried the Extra Bass, but will have to study the manual as there have been so many settings that I've tried, only to have "not available" keep popping up on the receiver's readout. It's primarily music in which the bass sounds lacking, but I really want to adjust and even out the sound for both, to reach a "set and forget" calibration where the system sounds perfect for any listening situation.
Some add some of the Yamaha's PEQ (parametric equalization) to taste....might try that at the frequencies you feel are lacking.....,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers I had in my original 7.2 were extremely warm and layed back. I could NEVER hear details and dialog in movies properly.
Well those just sound like terrible speakers all the way 'round.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I did do a YPAO general set-up, just haven't had time to do some tweaks. I tried the Extra Bass, but will have to study the manual as there have been so many settings that I've tried, only to have "not available" keep popping up on the receiver's readout. It's primarily music in which the bass sounds lacking, but I really want to adjust and even out the sound for both, to reach a "set and forget" calibration where the system sounds perfect for any listening situation.
Since you have the 3080...you have the more advanced YPAO R.S.C ( not the regular YPAO, big difference between the two), which is two filter sets - 1) RSC filters that they don't let you adjust for good reason and 2) PEQ filters that you can adjust.
Another forum member summarized some of the differences between the two here...https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-ypao-effectiveness.123957/post-1522395

After you run YPAO RSC, you will have manual access to PEQ filter set#2
- By default, It will give you 2 PEQ adjustments (20 to 20khz) "Flat" or "Natural" , which you can copy into "manual" PEQ mode. From the manual interface, you can reach any target curve, adjust it however you want to suit your tastes.
- If you don't want any PEQ past 250 to 300 hz, you can just nullify every PEQ adjustment past 250 to 300 hz.
- If you want to deviate from what YPAO considers a flat PEQ response, you can work with it manually, bump the mids, drop the highs, whatever target you want.
- Another feature that you may not find in other receivers is the ability to manually customize the sound field to your tastes (they offer a list of parameters for that).

You have two configuration patterns that can be saved (with all your YPAO peq settings, DAC filters, custom soundfields, etc) and can be switched back and forth at the click of a button. You could tailor one specifically for movies and another for music if that suits you. IF you want more than 2 patterns saved, you will have to do it through a laptop. I have about 7 configuration files that i have saved and keep on my laptop. Between these 7 different configurations, i can load it up and make it sound like 7 different speaker/amp/room combos, one for every day of the week. ;)

After i figured out all of this on the Yamaha, it made my minidsp SHD w.Dirac sound like sht in comparison.

Last edited:
K

Ka4sxi

Audiophyte
I am new here but have the same question for a different reason. I inherited a McIntosh amp, an Anthem MRX 710, and Golden Ear Triton One.r speakers. I want to use the Triton speakers as front speakers for surround sound and for 2 channel musically. I want to know if I can run wire from surround front to a A/B speaker switch while at the same time running wire from the front pre outs to the McIntosh to the A/B switch. And then be able to use the Anthem for surround sound and general TV use while using the Anthem-McIntosh-speakers for high quality fidelity.

I am trying to avoid having the McIntosh on all of the time for general tv use. By using the switch “I” can switch to the music setup when I desire but otherwise keeping it very simple for my wife and kids. I hope that makes sense. Anthem technical support has not responded. There is no answer in the manual. Zone 2 is dedicated to outdoor speakers. I only have 5 channel surround sound.
My priority is keeping it simple for others to use for regular tv, not leaving the McIntosh on all of the time, and not damaging any equipment. Thanks in advance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am new here but have the same question for a different reason. I inherited a McIntosh amp, an Anthem MRX 710, and Golden Ear Triton One.r speakers. I want to use the Triton speakers as front speakers for surround sound and for 2 channel musically. I want to know if I can run wire from surround front to a A/B speaker switch while at the same time running wire from the front pre outs to the McIntosh to the A/B switch. And then be able to use the Anthem for surround sound and general TV use while using the Anthem-McIntosh-speakers for high quality fidelity.

I am trying to avoid having the McIntosh on all of the time for general tv use. By using the switch “I” can switch to the music setup when I desire but otherwise keeping it very simple for my wife and kids. I hope that makes sense. Anthem technical support has not responded. There is no answer in the manual. Zone 2 is dedicated to outdoor speakers. I only have 5 channel surround sound.
My priority is keeping it simple for others to use for regular tv, not leaving the McIntosh on all of the time, and not damaging any equipment. Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about something like this:

Amazon.com: SOLUPEAK P2 2(1)-in-1(2)-Out Amp Amplifier Speaker Switcher Selector Switch Splitter 2-Way Loudspeaker Control Combiner Box : Electronics

1648557565829.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis