Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Five bucks says it has an 8 track. :D

I sure hope you post pic's. That thing is fascinating.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I definitely will. I can't pick it up for like a week though. He just emailed me and told me that his dog chewed through the power cord lol.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
How much is he paying you to haul it away!!! :)

dkane360

dkane360

this is the COOLEST THING EVER. I picked it up today, and I'm heading to radioshack to get a new power cord for it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My parents had something similar in the foyer/entrance hallway in my childhood home...Didn't they know anything about acoustics?:confused::eek::D

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
God, I can hear Elvis with the Jordinairs in the bacground. I can picture that dog looking into the Victrola going around and around on the turntable. Or the Ventures playing "exclusively Mosrite guitars". Guess your going to Home Depot to pick up some sand paper soon. Fun project. Does it play?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

In high school I actually had something similar to this, but it had a record player, radio, and a tape cassette changer with ~dozen cassette capacity. Thing was huge and great for hiding booze in....:D

dkane360

dkane360

So the record player doesnt work, but the radio does. I think it might be because it has a terrible power cord connection. It's got a real bad hum too. They didnt have a power cord that properly fits. Any suggestions?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

:D :p

Even TLS wouldn't hang onto that thing. :eek:

Seriously, I find that stuff to be fascinating.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
My oldest brother bought this exact same Zenith stereo console in the late 60s. He gave it to my parents in the early 70s when he discovered components. As I recall, the audio didn't sound very good and the turntable stopped working in the mid 70s, though the radio still worked. This unit found its way to another brother's farm when my parents moved in with him. It then sat in his barn for 10 years and remained there after my parents died and he sold the farm. For all I know, it is still sitting in that barn.

dkane360

dkane360

So the turntable actually does work, but the stylus is broken, and it has a hard time getting up to speed. Volume and balance knobs are on the same dial, so it makes it really confusing to figure out what you're doing because they are both stuck together. Changing any dial results in a really loud hum, strange changing of volume, and losing sound randomly from speakers. I don't know if its the electronics, or the tubes that need cleaning. I went over to Hi-fi sales and they suggested cleaning the tubes.

I think I'm going to try cleaning the tubes. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get a cheap receiver to put inside to power the speakers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My oldest brother bought this exact same Zenith stereo console in the late 60s... For all I know, it is still sitting in that barn.
Aren't you paying attention???

dkane360 has it now! :):):)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis