Can you hear a difference in Sound between Audio Amplifiers?

Do Amplifiers Sound Different?

• Yes

Votes: 103 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 30.4%
  • crikets crickets....What?

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Well, we all know all amps sound differently. Duh! I can hear the night-and-day significant difference a mile away and blindfolded since I have golden ears. Don't be jealous and call me a liar if you're not blessed with golden ears.

I also have golden eyes so I can see a huge difference between 8K vs 1080p a mile away. Don't be jealous either. But that's another thread.

So the only real question is, how chocolaty, how minty, how sweet, and just exactly how airy do the different amps sound?

My Yamaha MX-A5000 11Ch amp sounds exactly 19.46% minty, 20.73% chocolaty, 19.86% airy, and 39.95% sweet.
Back in the 90’s during my audiophile days, I was told by expensive hifi dealers that midfi stereo receivers sound 25% salty, 25% semi-sweet, 25% vinegar and 25% sweet-tart.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The claim usually made goes something like this:

The person buys new amp, and it sounds better than the old amp based off of an uncontrolled listening test, usually after unplugging one, and listening to the other, begging the question that this process is the least bit reliable. It’s not. It’s less than worthless.

1. Human hearing is easily fooled; yes even yours.
2. No one can control their subconscious biases.
3. Cost matters, but only to extent; transparent amps are easy to make, fairly inexpensive, and abundant.
4. Exotic manufacturers routinely add very subtle coloration to their amps.
5. Your room, speakers, and the production of the media will have gargantuan colorations.
6. If you want tone controls, use your damned tone controls, not some baked in coloration with the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The claim is also made based on your current gear being somehow deficient compared to the new gear, often with no basis at all. It's a fun industry.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The claim is also made based on your current gear being somehow deficient compared to the new gear, often with no basis at all. It's a fun industry.
Well, that's how they sell new components (manufacturers/dealers) or justify their spending (consumers).

Oh, yeah, everything new this year is so much better than last year's models.

Oh, yeah, I've heard them with my own ears. The new one is absolutely better. No doubt about it. Worth every penny. Even if they cost $30,000. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
"More attack"... ha ha! Silly talk. I'd love to get you guys in a controlled setting and pick between these "night and day" differences in a DBT. I don't think you'd be able to tell one from another. Until then it's just very sight biased, subjective experiences influenced by preconceived expectations.
yep and it's a hobby and however one wants to spend their hard earned $$, more power to them. Over the years I have been blessed to hear some really great systems and none of them, not a single one was driven by an 'AVR'. Does that mean an AVR couldn't do the job, no, but few if anybody that spends 5 or 6 figures on a pair of speakers will be powering them with AVR's.

if your kit puts a smile on your face and your feet a tappin' , regardless of how much you spent that's ALL THAT MATTERS !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yep and it's a hobby and however one wants to spend their hard earned $$, more power to them. Over the years I have been blessed to hear some really great systems and none of them, not a single one was driven by an 'AVR'. Does that mean an AVR couldn't do the job, no, but few if anybody that spends 5 or 6 figures on a pair of speakers will be powering them with AVR's.

if your kit puts a smile on your face and your feet a tappin' , regardless of how much you spent that's ALL THAT MATTERS !
As long as you know what's what, sure....I just cringe when newbs take this to be particularly meaningful. Look at all the silly cable a lot of these same guys buy, too.....and then put the gear in a bad room arranged poorly....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
As long as you know what's what, sure....I just cringe when newbs take this to be particularly meaningful. Look at all the silly cable a lot of these same guys buy, too.....and then put the gear in a bad room arranged poorly....
yes, truer words have never been said !

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Who would spend 5 to 6 figures on a pair speakers?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Who would spend 5 to 6 figures on a pair speakers?
Well, I for one, five figures that is and believe me I'm not alone. IMO the 'sweet spot' is in the lower end of the five figure category. While I've listened to many high dollar systems driving speakers that cost more than my house did 41 years ago I'm completely happy with my Revel Studio 2's.

C

Chocolatey MidsFan

Enthusiast
Back in the 90’s during my audiophile days, I was told by expensive hifi dealers that midfi stereo receivers sound 25% salty, 25% semi-sweet, 25% vinegar and 25% sweet-tart.
I prefer a22.3% Chocolatey mids ratio. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well, I for one, five figures that is and believe me I'm not alone. IMO the 'sweet spot' is in the lower end of the five figure category. While I've listened to many high dollar systems driving speakers that cost more than my house did 41 years ago I'm completely happy with my Revel Studio 2's.
OK:confused:

I supposed five figures on the low end isn't that foolish.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm pushing 5 figures for my current rig. Pretty damned close. That's if you figure full retail for everything tho. If you count ALL of the speakers I have currently I'm definitely comfortably into 5 figures. I need to get to selling some Ultras here soon... I did make out pretty good with a couple pieces tho. Glad I got the Monolith 7 when I did. It's gone up over $200 since I bought mine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you know, who are they and why?
All sorts of folk....some here on AH and on many other audio fora/groups. Of my group of friends/relatives I think I've spent the most (but not 5-6k/pr particularly unless you count speaker/sub combo). Why, because they can and want to no doubt. Why does it matter to you particularly?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm pushing 5 figures for my current rig. Pretty damned close. That's if you figure full retail for everything tho. If you count ALL of the speakers I have currently I'm definitely comfortably into 5 figures. I need to get to selling some Ultras here soon... I did make out pretty good with a couple pieces tho. Glad I got the Monolith 7 when I did. It's gone up over $200 since I bought mine.
Five figures on the low end isn't that bad. My mind kind of lead me to more to the higher side of five figures.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
All sorts of folk....some here on AH and on many other audio fora/groups. Of my group of friends/relatives I think I've spent the most (but not 5-6k/pr particularly unless you count speaker/sub combo). Why, because they can and want to no doubt. Why does it matter to you particularly?
Understood!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis