Can we have a rational discussion about guns and why the typical arguments for gun control and its implementation won't work?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Who is stoned now?
The polite people were only as successful as they were because they were viewed as fellow countryman. Unfortunately 500 vs 30 Delta’s and SOCOM soldiers didn’t end so well for the Russians, maybe they will get a monument that their widows and orphans can visit.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Who is stoned now?
The polite people were only as successful as they were because they were viewed as fellow countryman. Unfortunately 500 vs 30 Delta’s and SOCOM soldiers didn’t end so well for the Russians, maybe they will get a monument that their widows and orphans can visit.
I'll take that as an admission of impairment. You were talking about the LAPD, but now they've turned into special forces.

May I inquire as to which branch of the armed forces you served with?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
National Guard is federally-funded and is part of the reserve corps.
OH, funded by the government but is under the control of state governors as in the past some refused to send them where the unit was requested.
And, they are also the member of the Organized Militia of the United States as defined by 10 U.S.C. 10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

United States National Guard - Wikipedia

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
J
I'll take that as an admission of impairment. You were talking about the LAPD, but now they've turned into special forces.

May I inquire as to which branch of the armed forces you served with?
Just a car salesman, and you?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This always seems to be the problem when 'rational discussions' about guns and gun control are attempted. They quickly become irrational.

There is nothing unconstitutional about a standing Army, Navy, Coast Guard, or Air Force (not to mention the Space Farce) in the USA.

Yet, we have a poster here who swears he knows different. It is no surprise to me that he never served in any branch of the armed forces :rolleyes:.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
J

Just a car salesman, and you?
23 years in the RCN, submarine service.

There was a point behind the question. While there are more than a few service people who like things that go bang and explode, it seems to me that it's people who don't have to deal with them as part of their job who fetishise them.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You do know only one guy had a handgun during the Capital raid, the rest had pepper spray and others random homemade weapons.

I can do this all day long...
Then what were all those things the protesters carrying around that day that looked like guns? How about those arrested for it? They were there....being wielded by idiots.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General

There was a point behind the question. While there are more than a few service people who like things that go bang and explode, it seems to me that it's people who don't have to deal with them as part of their job who fetishise them.
I think you’re your just mad because we shoot your torpedoes before we sell them to you. :p

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m corrected on the constitution about the army, not something I read much about. That said we originally had no intent on maintaining a standing army but Washington convinced lawmakers shortly before the first Constitutional Congress to ad that in.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

I agree completely. Although we've never discussed this particular point, I'm not at all surprised to hear you say it. I spent 4 years in the US Navy, not in the submarine service, but chasing Soviet submarines by secret electronic methods. All or most all of those boats were armed with nuclear weapons. So I had a similar overall mission to yours.

During that time, I met many people with a similar attitude to yours. I knew one Marine in particular who liked to act like he was hard core grunt, even though he did somewhat similar work to mine. But when it came to his M-16 and other weapons, he respected their power and danger, but he admitted he was no longer in love with them as he had been earlier in his career. He said the M-16 could blow your skull & brains into bits, but no weapon, no matter how fierce looking, could ever love you back. He even admitted that the Marine Corps – known to all in the USN as a group of serious badasses – actually looked to weed out those who fetishised their weapons. They were suspected as being a danger, not an asset.

So, to all those amateur soldiers who can't get enough guns & ammo, you all need several months of boot camp and combat infantry training. That should be enough to get most of you over that childish worship of small arms and camouflage fatigues.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I agree completely. Although we've never discussed this particular point, I'm not at all surprised to hear you say it. I spent 4 years in the US Navy, not in the submarine service, but chasing Soviet submarines by secret electronic methods. All or most all of those boats were armed with nuclear weapons. So I had a similar overall mission to yours.

During that time, I met many people with a similar attitude to yours. I knew one Marine in particular who liked to act like he was hard core grunt, even though he did somewhat similar work to mine. But when it came to his M-16 and other weapons, he respected their power and danger, but he admitted he was no longer in love with them as he had been earlier in his career. He said the M-16 could blow your skull & brains into bits, but no weapon, no matter how fierce looking, could ever love you back. He even admitted that the Marine Corps – known to all in the USN as a group of serious badasses – actually looked to weed out those who fetishised their weapons. They were suspected as being a danger, not an asset.

So, to all those amateur soldiers who can't get enough guns & ammo, you all need several months of boot camp and combat infantry training. That should be enough to get most of you over that childish worship of small arms and camouflage fatigues.
That’s good stuff...

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
We’re both right, Congress has the power to raise an army but only for two years. Again America was never intended to maintain a standing army, only a Navy. Citizens are the defense force of the United States Constitutionally and that means we are supposed to have military grade weapons. The Brits had it right during WWII, individual towns had bake sales and fundraisers to buy Spitfires for Great Britain.
Lol! So that’s what happened January 6th, the “ Citizens” were actually defending the country when they stormed the Capital.

So….as a USN Veteran, (aviation ordnance), I should have been celebrating Democracy as it was intended to work?
Deez nutz!

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This has been a good topic and as the OP said it's great to have this discussion Americans need to have this discussion.

I'm not sure what can be done about guns at this point. As noted there are so many both legal and stolen floating around. I've always felt legislation and action on this is 20 to 30 years behind and may be too late. I'm not sure how you could the entire situation under control now

But Damnit we have to try. Any improvement we can achieve is lives saved.

I'm no fan of Biden and I can't stand what the Republican party has become. As a former conservative I feel lost right now. I'll vote left have done it before but I can't stomach either party right now for different reasons

But one thing I do feel is Biden has to try something. No leader could sit back and do nothing right now. Just here in San Antonio we had some dude blasting at people over the 281 and 1604 bridge then went to the airport and was going to shoot everyone there. Thank God an officer intercepted him in time and ended the threat. A coworker who was going on holiday was trapped in the airport.

I'm about as pro 2nd amendment as you get but some checks and balances gotta be met. Better background checks at least as on par with getting a driver's license Or stricter waiting periods I don't see any problems with any of those.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’m against everyone who stormed the Capital, they need to be tried, convicted and put in a deep dark hole.

That said my googlefu is strong and I can’t find pictures of anyone breaking into or entering the Capital with a firearm. Anyone have any of those pictures to share?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I work psych nursing for our military the unit is called mission resiliency. It's considered one of the top at what it does PTSD combat trauma substance abuse and other disorders that our military go through. We have military active and veterans

I've seen grown men come out crying from combat trauma group what they call the War Room. I've also seen those same men some of the toughest I'll ever know just love spending hours in art therapy.

I've had the most heart breaking conversations with so many of them about what they went through and what it's done to them. Well they talked I listened.

You hear what they've gone through and it makes you get over that macho attitude about guns and hurting people real friggin quick. Real quick

To all of you on here that have served I have no words to express my gratitude for you. Man just no words

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Final thoughts it's gotta be a full on change though.

As people have said we got to have change from the home and communities affected all the way up to the legislation or its pointless

Just trying to control guns only is like throwing a blanket over a festering wound. We're only covering up the real problems and until those are treated the problem isn't going away no matter how much you control the guns

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis