Can we have a rational discussion about guns and why the typical arguments for gun control and its implementation won't work?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yep, puts a real grin on my face. Maybe we can chip the owners, too.
When I got my COVID shot, the pharmacist asked if I had any questions, so I asked if the needle comes out shorter than when it goes in. He just chuckled.

I think chips would be a good thing, for those who have committed certain crimes but the chip would need to be hard to remove. Maybe a QR or bar code, placed on several parts of the body that are exceptionally sensitive to pain- that might prevent people having them removed. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Never said to remove guns. Just treat them like with the same caution we treat cars.
Cars, trucks, knifes, bare hands, poison
When I got my COVID shot, the pharmacist asked if I had any questions, so I asked if the needle comes out shorter than when it goes in. He just chuckled.

I think chips would be a good thing, for those who have committed certain crimes but the chip would need to be hard to remove. Maybe a QR or bar code, placed on several parts of the body that are exceptionally sensitive to pain- that might prevent people having them removed. :)
Nope, just remove a few fingers of the person who shot someone, since our justice system is so full of loop holes. . That should get their attention and hell with , its against their rights BS. I say tough poop, if they murdered someone they lost their rights in my book. cut away.

highfigh

highfigh

Cars, trucks, knifes, bare hands, poison

Nope, just remove a few fingers of the person who shot someone, since our justice system is so full of loop holes. . That should get their attention and hell with , its against their rights BS. I say tough poop, if they murdered someone they lost their rights in my book. cut away.
Again, lawyers would get that stopped as 'cruel and unusual punishment'. If we were in pre/Biblical times, we could use 'an eye for an eye', but that's not possible, now. Well, it's not happening here, anyway. In some countries (Iran, Indonesia, etc), it does happen and for less than murder.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I like it here.

What's the point of taking a place over violently and then reconciling with the small segment of the indigenous population you didn't kill?

Somebody needs an explanation on how war works. Who knows, maybe it's me but I thought killing people and taking their stuff was the whole idea.
Just so the question doesn't go unanswered, while "Right of Conquest" used to be a thing under international law, the wars of the 20th century have lead to international treaties and laws proscribing aggressive war. Which means all subsequent wars have been "defensive"... :rolleyes:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the perception here is that the SCOTUS is quite politically biased, while up here...not so much. Of course, there wouldn't be a judge in any country whose philosophy or political leanings didn't influence their decisions, but it seems to be far more muted here. You just don't see blatant efforts to stack a court with a view to flipping previous decisions - such as conservative hopes to get wade v. rowe overturned.
Why Canada Doesn’t Have The Same Partisan Supreme Court Fights As The U.S. | HuffPost Canada Politics (huffingtonpost.ca)
Unlike the U.S., Canada does not do spectacle when it comes to picking Supreme Court judges | National Post

I'm not suggesting that the process is superior here, but it's certainly different.
Well whadda ya know, @Irvrobinson - Supreme Court to hear case that could test abortion limits established by Roe v. Wade | CBC News

Sorry about the thread derailment, @highfigh.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
You might want to put a hold on thinking driver training will continue to be needed-

I posted an arrticle about this on FB with the caption "What's the worst that could happen?". Hey- I had already posted that Wisconsin does a lot of stupid crap, right?

We can make all kinds of rules, but some just refuse to play along.

Your last comment about search & seizure- any halfway decent lawyer would get that tossed because random searches are unconstitutional unless some kind of blanket warrant is issued. Also, the cop(s) would need to see the gun- since many fit in a pocket, that's going to be difficult.

So, back to the stupid in Milwaukee- yesterday alone, 7 shot, 4 dead- the dead were all women. And a few days ago, a gun was left unattended and this time, a TWO YEAR OLD shot himself.
There is a problem with the, "if a change won't fix every problem let's not make the change" thinking. It leads to nothing getting done.

highfigh

highfigh

There is a problem with the, "if a change won't fix every problem let's not make the change" thinking. It leads to nothing getting done.
Your comment about "...let'snot make the change" might go along with "It is what it is", which I see as another way to say "I give up". Some things can be improved or corrected, but some people just prefer to stop trying. People are dying- we should continue to try.

85% is good, but the 15% who don't pass often drive anyway and this is one place where driving is a real challenge- at least the stat covers the whole state.

It seems that driver's ed training has an expiration date, too- I see people who are old enough to have been driving for a long time driving like complete idiots- I should post some videos because it's hard to believe what they do and it has gotten worse in just the last couple of years.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That type of argument, sadly, is quite common. I believe it is grounded in motivated reasoning.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Huh? They're not even supposed to have a gun.
If a person has a felony conviction for embezzling money or other non violent crimes, should they have their "right" to have weapon be taken away once they have paid their debt to society?

highfigh

highfigh

@highfigh, you've mentioned - or at least alluded to - this issue before. Maybe this is the place to start.

School-to-prison pipeline - Wikipedia
From what I have seen and heard on news/shows dealing with the education system, it really looks like the school systems are far less interested in getting the students to connect with the curriculum as a long-term tool than in teaching for the tests and in the Milwaukee system, they're not doing well in the latter, either. I have had interactions with people who couldn't make change without using a calculator or asking for help- that hardly appears to be a case of teaching kids what they need for real life situations.

A lot has changed since 1975- gang activity has grown immensely, making school seem like a dead-end for the short-term because a runner can make a boatload of cash without staying in school. The lack of a functional family unit plays a huge part, too. Addicts having kids who are born with absurd levels of drugs in their system has caused a lot of problems, but that's not new, since mothers smoked and drank while pregnant before that time. As has been said, if they can't find a family at home, they'll find one on the streets.

For those who might think this only applies to the larger cities, they would be wrong- suburban schools have the same problems, just not in the same percentage. Even when I was in high school during the early- '70s, we had the Greasers, who were generally a large PITA, but it's also amazing to see who became what in later years. An oddly large number of classmates who caused a lot of trouble became police officers. Drug use has been common at the high school I attended since the 1960s and that hasn't changed. The surrounding area is really no different, other than in the numbers- Heroin, Meth and Fentanyl are more common, but only Fentanyl is a newcomer- pot & alcohol were the most common, with some using Meth & Heroin while I was there. I don't remember anyone using Coke, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Relatively recently, at least two twenty-somethings OD'd on Heroin in my neighborhood- went to school with both fathers and in another house, I had met the dad when he and his ex lived in the area- his new wife inherited a bunch of money and bought the kids a house about a block away- PD and Fire/Rescue have been called several times for unresponsive adults.

A school system outside of the Milwaukee Metro area has had huge gang problems and this is in an area where they don't have a huge population in specific areas, but it does make up the largest school district in the state. Mostly rural, too.

In the case of some schools, like the one I attended, the parents were affluent and when it came to dealing with the kids, it was more likely that they would hand out money and say "Have a good time" than to ask where they were going, with whom and what they were doing. That was their lives, not mine- when I asked for some things, my parents would say "OK, go and buy one". Boredom is a problem for kids who need something constructive to do and one group started breaking into homes to steal artwork, jewelry and other collectibles. They didn't need the money because their parents were loaded and when I saw the names, I was surprised because they seemed like decent kids.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Yes we can have a reasonable discussion about gun control. No government overreach that weakens my rights and my ability to defend my family or property is reasonable. God I am glad I do not live in one of those hell holes where failed politicians are blaming their failures on the police and racism when the real problem is their corruption and desire for power.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Yes we can have a reasonable discussion about gun control. No government overreach that weakens my rights and my ability to defend my family or property is reasonable. God I am glad I do not live in one of those hell holes where failed politicians are blaming their failures on the police and racism when the real problem is their corruption and desire for power.
Does this mean that the controls on fully automatic weapons are unreasonable? What about RPGs or Stinger missiles? Perhaps Claymores around the perimeter and an M777 howitzer in case they breakthrough?

These are all government controlled weapons which weakens your rights and ability to protect your family.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Fully automatic weapons are horribly inefficient and have no desire to own one. If I am in a tactical situation where I need a full auto I do not want one I carry. I want a crew served weapon on a tripod or mounted to a hard point. I have no problem with people owning them you can in some states it is pricey though and requires a special license.

Mr F

Mr F

Enthusiast
I don't own any guns (maybe I will in the near future) but I am pro guns. I believe it's important for people to have the right to own arms. As mentioned by others here, it's all about the user and its mindset, which has to do a lot with upbringing. The only guns I want to see and hear are the ones coming from my home theater.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
Does this mean that the controls on fully automatic weapons are unreasonable? What about RPGs or Stinger missiles? Perhaps Claymores around the perimeter and an M777 howitzer in case they breakthrough?

These are all government controlled weapons which weakens your rights and ability to protect your family.
As far as the other weapons you mention they are all explosives. People can own explosives they require special training and licenses. Again I would have no trouble with what someone purchases through legitimate channels. Biden is arming terrorist all over the world with them right now. Why are you ok with that and have a problem with law biding citizens that do not want to harm anyone owning them? You should be more angry about the terrorist since it is your money buying weapons for them that you can't own. Are you aware how silly your logic and reasoning actually is?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis