can anybody help me with streaming

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I have a Yamaha RXA8A and recently started streaming Qobuz, my issue is Yamaha is supposed to support Qobuz but now I understand only with a Yamaha music cast app.well I have an apple iMac and there is no such app for it and I don't have a smart phone never had use.so I have to stream through the iMac input to Yamaha receiver which I'm sure is not best quality.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If it's the same as Spotify, you need an external device with the app in order to stream- Spotify used to stream natively through these devices (MusicCast, Heos, Sonos, etc) but because Sonos had it first and probably paid Spotify a lot of money in order to be exclusive, this ability was removed.

The easiest way to do this is to buy a used iPhone or Android phone and download the app.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
if I buy a streamer then will they come with an app to download on iMac, thanks

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Not the best advice but get yourself a cheap tablet and stream from that as the control client. I use Android and I bet you can find a decent one for way cheaper than anything Apple sells. Samsung makes some nice tablets, setup a free google account and access the app store.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen mac/apple users complain over the years about not having things work or access to stuff. That loyalty comes at a price.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
is there any improvement in sound quality with a streamer over streaming with my Yamaha rxa8a

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Qobuz is great. Hi-res or not, their selections just sound good on any platform. Unfortunately, of all of the AVR brands, only Yamaha support them via MusicCast and one needs a separate device for control. Apple does not have an app for Qobuz in their store but you can download one from Qobuz. I doubt you would be disappointed in the sound if you used Airplay 2 to get Qobuz audio to your Yamaha. But, using a Smart device with the MusicCast app as was mentioned is really convenient and allows for hi-res track playback directly to the Yamaha as the device acts as a controller and the audio goes directly to the receiver from the service.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Qobuz is great. Hi-res or not, their selections just sound good on any platform. Unfortunately, of all of the AVR brands, only Yamaha support them via MusicCast and one needs a separate device for control. Apple does not have an app for Qobuz in their store but you can download one from Qobuz. I doubt you would be disappointed in the sound if you used Airplay 2 to get Qobuz audio to your Yamaha. But, using a Smart device with the MusicCast app as was mentioned is really convenient and allows for hi-res track playback directly to the Yamaha as the device acts as a controller and the audio goes directly to the receiver from the service.
Thanks, they seem to make more sense than the silly MQA thing offer by Tidal. I may try both, for free..

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I've tried all of them and am waiting like many for Spotify to offer up their lossless service to try out. If one is not outfitted for playback of MQA tracks fully, the 44.1/16 CD quality tracks sound a bit better than the gimped MQA tracks. Hey, better to have 100% of a good thing than 50% of a silly thing. It is also nuts that Tidal makes you sift through several versions of an album instead of having one selection and being able to select the version for playback from within it. The volume level of Tidal's Atmos tracks is still ridiculously low on any device that supports proper playback of them.

C

Cammiect

Audiophyte
The same Qobuz has a web version, although it is much worse than the application. If you need this application for constant use, then buy a device as mentioned earlier or use analogues.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a Yamaha RXA8A and recently started streaming Qobuz, my issue is Yamaha is supposed to support Qobuz but now I understand only with a Yamaha music cast app.well I have an apple iMac and there is no such app for it and I don't have a smart phone never had use.so I have to stream through the iMac input to Yamaha receiver which I'm sure is not best quality.
S0, you have an iMac. That means you have an option for streaming Apple Music via usb connection to your receiver for lossless and hi-res. I find the quality on par with SACD play.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It had been some time since I used the Qobuz app in the Mac. If one wants hi-res while using it, they’ll not get it if they use Airplay 2. I don’t know that one would be disappointed with the sound. Chromecast can be selected for output within the app to receivers that support it and hi-res is selectable as well. But, that won’t be an option with a Yamaha receiver.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
thanks guys, I'm using the usb out of my iMac to receiver just didn't know if it got much better streaming straight to Yamaha

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
thanks guys, I'm using the usb out of my iMac to receiver just didn't know if it got much better streaming straight to Yamaha
Try Apple Music. Just download the app to your iMac if it is not already there. A subscription is about $9.99 monthly plus tax.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If anybody is considering Apple Music or Tidal, check Bestbuy’s deals. I scored another three months of Tidal for two bucks and scored five months of Apple Music for free. That’s right, F-R-E-E! Qobuz offers 30 day trials.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just checked things out again and it looks like Tidal is on sale. I could have saved a buck.:confused::D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I wanted to give a try this morning but MusicCast only proposed Tidal, Deezer, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora… but no Qobuz. Any idea why ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis