Cambridge Audio EVO 150 Streaming Amplifier Review!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was the Power Cube test recent? I have heard very little about that since I worked in car audio and Rockford Fosgate showed us their results vs others. I would like to see it used more.
Not recent.
@PENG can elaborate on that. All I know is that The Audio Critic used the Power-Cube as “gold standard” for amps and tested amps down to 1-ohm.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I still feel pride of ownership of my 3805 that was given to me. I hoped to get two years from it while I saved for modern power. Then I just got attached to it because it's a formidable piece of gear. Not the best, not the worst, but I have been able to use it for everything and have another still. I have it playing now and it's just superb. Listening in the Michael Franks rabbit hole Gene's demo list got me trapped in currently.

I stream from my desktop PC through a Topping USB DAC to the 3805's AVR CD input. Not one hint of a sound or hiss from a PC driven system seems astounding to me. I was using Roon to play with the EQ but I didn't really need it so I didn't keep it. Now I just use Amzon HD, Pandora and CD.

Of all the things I have streamed with, nothing seems as complete as this desktop system, that also affords to read or surf while listening with minimal other dedicated hardware or TV. Can also control the sub amp on the fly from the same desktop.

If sound quality were not to be a noticeable, needed improvement, I cannot think of a reason to add a different piece of equipment or to spend more on it. It's ridiculous how good even the BT from my crappy motorola phone to the Fosi BT30D Pro in my bedroom sounds using just Pandora, with nothing other than Paul Carmody's Classix2 bookshelf speakers in play.

While the unit is pretty nice, I'm not a fan of the DeLorean theme or VU gimmicks. I could see someone building a system based on things like this, though, especially if that's all they are used to, or cares about, is streaming. Also, it's not a bad way to get into Hypex power so I can abide by it, I reckon.

A lot of my lack of need for yet another dedicated streamer is because I have been streaming since there ever was such a thing so these things seem rather superfluous, at least to someone who already has multiple ways to stream and more than enough amplifiers. The way streaming hardware is talked about now though, it was making me think of it as something new, or that I had somehow failed to adapt to yet.
Older quality receivers with EXT. IN 7.1 analog ports are great for connecting other devices handling streaming and bass management. The EVO is very capable but very pricey. Those with an older receiver like the 3805 may find a device like the upcoming Wii Ultra may just fit the bill when wanting to update their system for network streaming. They can compare the DAC performance and bass management of each device by making both analog and digital connections and switching between them.

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 2.29.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 2.29.43 PM.png

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I still feel pride of ownership of my 3805 that was given to me. I hoped to get two years from it while I saved for modern power. Then I just got attached to it because it's a formidable piece of gear. Not the best, not the worst, but I have been able to use it for everything and have another still. I have it playing now and it's just superb. Listening in the Michael Franks rabbit hole Gene's demo list got me trapped in currently.

I stream from my desktop PC through a Topping USB DAC to the 3805's AVR CD input. Not one hint of a sound or hiss from a PC driven system seems astounding to me. I was using Roon to play with the EQ but I didn't really need it so I didn't keep it. Now I just use Amzon HD, Pandora and CD.

Of all the things I have streamed with, nothing seems as complete as this desktop system, that also affords to read or surf while listening with minimal other dedicated hardware or TV. Can also control the sub amp on the fly from the same desktop.

If sound quality were not to be a noticeable, needed improvement, I cannot think of a reason to add a different piece of equipment or to spend more on it. It's ridiculous how good even the BT from my crappy motorola phone to the Fosi BT30D Pro in my bedroom sounds using just Pandora, with nothing other than Paul Carmody's Classix2 bookshelf speakers in play.

While the unit is pretty nice, I'm not a fan of the DeLorean theme or VU gimmicks. I could see someone building a system based on things like this, though, especially if that's all they are used to, or cares about, is streaming. Also, it's not a bad way to get into Hypex power so I can abide by it, I reckon.

A lot of my lack of need for yet another dedicated streamer is because I have been streaming since there ever was such a thing so these things seem rather superfluous, at least to someone who already has multiple ways to stream and more than enough amplifiers. The way streaming hardware is talked about now though, it was making me think of it as something new, or that I had somehow failed to adapt to yet.
My Denon 3805 ran my 7.2 theater system well for years. It still works. Waiting to be used in a future setup hopefully.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Older quality receivers with EXT. IN 7.1 analog ports are great for connecting other devices handling streaming and bass management. The EVO is very capable but very pricey. Those with an older receiver like the 3805 may find a device like the upcoming Wii Ultra may just fit the bill when wanting to update their system for network streaming. They can compare the DAC performance and bass management of each device by making both analog and digital connections and switching between them.

View attachment 67819
View attachment 67820
I bought a used Wiim Pro Plus before they came out with this model. It does the job allowing me to stream through my older AVRs For a little over $100 US.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
People rave about the wiim devices, but I am curious to know what do they offer that the Amazon firestick 4K Max. cannot. I have 2 Firesticks but would like to try a Wiim if there are features that I am interested in that the Firesticks cannot do.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
MusicCast is just too awesome. Awesome streamer, streamer app, remote control app not only for streaming but also to control the Yamaha AVR/AVP. And I don’t have to spend another dime on any standalone Network streamer. :D

Oh, did I mention that MusicCast has worked flawlessly (100% of the time) for me - even when the Internet is down and I only have local network? Yeah I did. About a 100 times. :D
Mine has stopped responding a few times, but all I needed to do is power cycle it. Don't know why this has happened, but it's nothing that worries me. I use Spectrum for internet and it rarely goes down but if it does, I can use my phone to stream and connect to the MusicCast via AirPlay and it makes no difference. No Sonos software problems, no App changes that make Sonos inoperable, nothing like it. I used my WXC-50 as the preamp in my system until I reconnected the Parasound P5 and had absolutely no problem with the sound quality- I have used thumb drives, a SeaGate hard drive and it worked great. I use the GUI on my desktop when I'm online instead of my phone (I hate using that), but I do the same when I'm operating/setting up a Denon or Yamaha AVR, too.

If you have used any of the audio enhancement functions like bass extension (just out of curiosity), you may have noticed a lag in the lower bass notes until about 1-1/2 years ago. I had called about that several times and was told that they hadn't received any other calls about it, but eventually solved it.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Not recent.
@PENG can elaborate on that. All I know is that The Audio Critic used the Power-Cube as “gold standard” for amps and tested amps down to 1-ohm.
That series of tests caused many amps to lose the will to live- some of the results from some brands made us wonder why anyone would want to use them- I'll see if I still have the binder from Rockford Fosgate and will post the tests and results. They showed the decrease in output caused by capacitive and inductive loads in some, but the good amps just powered through.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 67819
View attachment 67820
Just curious but, what do these wiim things do that a PC doesn't since I have a PC anyway? My PC has an external DAC and that's where I spend all my online time anyway when home. Only thing I use a smart phone for other than calls and texts is some Bluetooth to the Fosi amp in my bedroom and to BT to my car stereo and I hook the phone directly to active speakers at work. I have amzon prime music, but have used qobuz, tidal, spotify, pandora and roon but just didn't care for all the extras those platforms have, except for Pandora. Pandora has pretty much taken the place of FM radio for me, or that's about how I use it as a 'set and forget' random music discovery tool.

I think I have had Pandora about the longest. I realize it's not the top of the SQ chain, but I don't really notice a difference

Otherwise, I have been streaming rather seamlessly at the PC ever since Napster or youtube came around. I have not knowingly wanted for, or missed anything that I know of since the '90s, it seems. I just didn't realize I was actually doing something called streaming. I simply referred to it as playing music online.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mine has stopped responding a few times, but all I needed to do is power cycle it. Don't know why this has happened, but it's nothing that worries me. I use Spectrum for internet and it rarely goes down but if it does, I can use my phone to stream and connect to the MusicCast via AirPlay and it makes no difference. No Sonos software problems, no App changes that make Sonos inoperable, nothing like it. I used my WXC-50 as the preamp in my system until I reconnected the Parasound P5 and had absolutely no problem with the sound quality- I have used thumb drives, a SeaGate hard drive and it worked great. I use the GUI on my desktop when I'm online instead of my phone (I hate using that), but I do the same when I'm operating/setting up a Denon or Yamaha AVR, too.

If you have used any of the audio enhancement functions like bass extension (just out of curiosity), you may have noticed a lag in the lower bass notes until about 1-1/2 years ago. I had called about that several times and was told that they hadn't received any other calls about it, but eventually solved it.
Yeah, so for "Streaming Amp", something like the Yamaha R-N303 MusicCast 100 Watts x 2Ch Network Stereo Receiver for about $300 will do just fine . :D

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, so for "Streaming Amp", something like the Yamaha R-N303 MusicCast 100 Watts x 2Ch Network Stereo Receiver for about $300 will do just fine . :D
I added the WXC-50 to my existing system- if I needed to set up a new system, that would definitely be a contender.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Just curious but, what do these wiim things do that a PC doesn't since I have a PC anyway? My PC has an external DAC and that's where I spend all my online time anyway when home. Only thing I use a smart phone for other than calls and texts is some Bluetooth to the Fosi amp in my bedroom and to BT to my car stereo and I hook the phone directly to active speakers at work. I have amzon prime music, but have used qobuz, tidal, spotify, pandora and roon but just didn't care for all the extras those platforms have, except for Pandora. Pandora has pretty much taken the place of FM radio for me, or that's about how I use it as a 'set and forget' random music discovery tool.

I think I have had Pandora about the longest. I realize it's not the top of the SQ chain, but I don't really notice a difference

Otherwise, I have been streaming rather seamlessly at the PC ever since Napster or youtube came around. I have not knowingly wanted for, or missed anything that I know of since the '90s, it seems. I just didn't realize I was actually doing something called streaming. I simply referred to it as playing music online.
For some with a PC, it is easy enough to connect it to their sound system and be done with it. Others have a PC far removed from their older sound systems and a streaming device with a controller app fits the bill.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Updated my bench test with full written review and supportive Youtube video:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis