TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is flat out untrue.

Where on earth did you read this nonsense?
I got this nonsense here.

And also here.

However I also have some further nonsense to spout.

The fact is that the US has failed to grasp that the arts and entertainment are a very major leg of the new economy. In Europe and especially the UK, that most theatrical of nations, this has been grasped years ago. Lets just take symphony orchestras. In the US they are getting into trouble one after the other. The Baltimore Orchestra is now under lockout. Now a symphony orchestra has, or at least should have 100 professional salaries brought into the community from the musicians alone before we get into stage hands and other support staff. An Opera company like the Met and the Royal Opera House bring even more to the table. Yet in the US they struggle, and seem to be dismissed as elitist.

The theater arts, and the production arts, and distribution are enormous drivers of the new economy. And I include in that umbrella and vast number of entities.

Yet here the universities either never had, or are closing a lot of programs that train people in supportive roles. The music and some drama schools remain intact, but because of lack support for the totality of the system have trouble getting work.

A few years ago I was VP of the upper west chapter of AES. We had a number of training colleges and a good deal of our membership came from their faculty. We also had significant student interest. However that colleges had very little public funding, in fact next to none. So fees were high and one by one they have all closed. The MacNally school in St.Paul the last to go under. This chapter of AES has disbanded with the loss of those faculties and students. The students not graduated basically had the choice of considering a different line of work or go abroad to study. This latter school was really good outfit. Now this in the Twin Cites which is probably the greatest center for the arts outside on New York in the US.

So yes, we are not maximizing what this sector could bring to the economic well being of the country, not by a long shot. Call this nonsense if you like and watch more and more of the arts gravitate away from the US. Whether you agree or not, Netflix are voting with their feet and going where the skills and talent are.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I got this nonsense here.

And also here.

However I also have some further nonsense to spout.

The fact is that the US has failed to grasp that the arts and entertainment are a very major leg of the new economy. In Europe and especially the UK, that most theatrical of nations, this has been grasped years ago. Lets just take symphony orchestras. In the US they are getting into trouble one after the other. The Baltimore Orchestra is now under lockout. Now a symphony orchestra has, or at least should have 100 professional salaries brought into the community from the musicians alone before we get into stage hands and other support staff. An Opera company like the Met and the Royal Opera House bring even more to the table. Yet in the US they struggle, and seem to be dismissed as elitist.

The theater arts, and the production arts, and distribution are enormous drivers of the new economy. And I include in that umbrella and vast number of entities.

Yet here the universities either never had, or are closing a lot of programs that train people in supportive roles. The music and some drama schools remain intact, but because of lack support for the totality of the system have trouble getting work.

A few years ago I was VP of the upper west chapter of AES. We had a number of training colleges and a good deal of our membership came from their faculty. We also had significant student interest. However that colleges had very little public funding, in fact next to none. So fees were high and one by one they have all closed. The MacNally school in St.Paul the last to go under. This chapter of AES has disbanded with the loss of those faculties and students. The students not graduated basically had the choice of considering a different line of work or go abroad to study. This latter school was really good outfit. Now this in the Twin Cites which is probably the greatest center for the arts outside on New York in the US.

So yes, we are not maximizing what this sector could bring to the economic well being of the country, not by a long shot. Call this nonsense if you like and watch more and more of the arts gravitate away from the US. Whether you agree or not, Netflix are voting with their feet and going where the skills and talent are.
Neither of your links support your assertion of lack of appropriate training as a reason for investing in UK production facilities. Nothing in Netflix's public statements or their SEC disclosures, including their annual report, mention any of this stuff. These are just your personal and probably incorrect opinions. I am not an expert on the arts scene in the US, but I do watch Netflix as a company pretty closely, and your evidence is non-existent. Anyway, how do you explain Netflix's New Mexico investment? That southeastern NM is a hotbed of video production talent? Well, perhaps I'm under estimating New Mexico:

http://cinematicarts.unm.edu

Apparently Minnesota needs a booster shot. A simple web search shows that there's no lack of university programs in the US. Just choosing one major public university system I'm not all that impressed with at random (New York) you get:

https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/guides-to-majors/career_cluster_Arts.pdf

California makes New York look like the arts aren't active there.

The Twin Cities are the greatest center for the arts outside of New York City? What's your evidence?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Neither of your links support your assertion of lack of appropriate training as a reason for investing in UK production facilities. Nothing in Netflix's public statements or their SEC disclosures, including their annual report, mention any of this stuff. These are just your personal and probably incorrect opinions. I am not an expert on the arts scene in the US, but I do watch Netflix as a company pretty closely, and your evidence is non-existent. Anyway, how do you explain Netflix's New Mexico investment? That southeastern NM is a hotbed of video production talent? Well, perhaps I'm under estimating New Mexico:

http://cinematicarts.unm.edu

Apparently Minnesota needs a booster shot. A simple web search shows that there's no lack of university programs in the US. Just choosing one major public university system I'm not all that impressed with at random (New York) you get:

https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/guides-to-majors/career_cluster_Arts.pdf

California makes New York look like the arts aren't active there.

The Twin Cities are the greatest center for the arts outside of New York City? What's your evidence?
Here is a list of Minnesota Arts organizations. I would point out that the Twin Cities have two full time professional Orchestras the Minnesota Orchestra and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, as well as an early original instrument ensemble, Lyrica Baroque.

We have an opera company with a full yearly season. Numerous professional choirs, including Cantus, the Singers, the Minnesota Orchestra Chorus and many others.
This does not include fine University programs like those at Northfield and especially St. Olaf college.

We are also the hub of much of the Public Radio Music system and the base of American Public Media.

As far as Netflix is concerned lets see in a few years the quality of productions that come out of Albuquerque New Mexico versus Ashford UK. The later is close to the London hubs of the performing arts the other in the New Mexico desert, surrounded by miles of Sage Brush. Albuquerque was one of the most God forsaken places I have ever visited.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a list of Minnesota Arts organizations. I would point out that the Twin Cities have two full time professional Orchestras the Minnesota Orchestra and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, as well as an early original instrument ensemble, Lyrica Baroque.

We have an opera company with a full yearly season. Numerous professional choirs, including Cantus, the Singers, the Minnesota Orchestra Chorus and many others.
This does not include fine University programs like those at Northfield and especially St. Olaf college.

We are also the hub of much of the Public Radio Music system and the base of American Public Media.

As far as Netflix is concerned lets see in a few years the quality of productions that come out of Albuquerque New Mexico versus Ashford UK. The later is close to the London hubs of the performing arts the other in the New Mexico desert, surrounded by miles of Sage Brush. Albuquerque was one of the most God forsaken places I have ever visited.
Not very good evidence for the Twin Cities standing, but whatever. My point originally was that the evidence shows that Neflix is in the UK to produce UK-sourced content, which is great for the UK and other markets. There is no evidence that Netflix thinks US-based production personnel are inferior, and you're taking some editorial liberties. (Though it wouldn't bother me if that was the case. I care more about US-based engineers and scientists than I do people who make videos.)

My point in bringing up the New Mexico investment is only to reinforce the point that Neflix makes production investments which obviously are not based on the superior video production work force. All I'm looking to do, Mark, is challenge your presentation of opinions as facts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seeking production facilities in a particular location isn't exactly new, nor seeking lower costs or even subsidies. Build it and they will come sort of thing I'd suppose to an extent. Didn't New Zealand benefit from Jackson's studios and Northern Ireland from Game of Thrones?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Not very good evidence for the Twin Cities standing, but whatever. My point originally was that the evidence shows that Neflix is in the UK to produce UK-sourced content, which is great for the UK and other markets. There is no evidence that Netflix thinks US-based production personnel are inferior, and you're taking some editorial liberties. (Though it wouldn't bother me if that was the case. I care more about US-based engineers and scientists than I do people who make videos.)

My point in bringing up the New Mexico investment is only to reinforce the point that Neflix makes production investments which obviously are not based on the superior video production work force. All I'm looking to do, Mark, is challenge your presentation of opinions as facts.
Well I think those opinions have a foundation. I saw the problem first hand here with the closure of facilities, especially with the closure of McNally here.

I now find that at the time McNally closed another two similar institutions have closed their doors. I see New York closed up quite some time ago. So we have universities in Washington, Bloomington Indiana, Berklee, and New Haven left. These are traditional university based. There is an independent school in Florida, Full Sail that purports to over multiple degrees associated with the performing arts. I can find nothing of the scale or reputation of RADA for instance. So yes, I think there is a problem, in fact I know there is. The musical and dramatic arts are not supported in the US in the manner they should be or in accordance with what is required, at least on the production end any way.

The bottom line is that I believe there is a deficit of professional education in the US devoted to these skills. Yes, I believe that.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can deal with dubbing. It's ,just that reading the sub titles distracts me from the flow of the visual action taking place in real time.

Photodan

Photodan

Enthusiast
Amazing! A guy starts as thread about Netflix and foreign films and TV and the first responses are attacks.

"So you cancelled Netflix because they also produce content for people that are not you?"

"Don't watch it if you don't like it."

"but to be a drama queen about it, meh"

Why did you post at all other to complain about them damn furriners!?"

"So you cancelled Netflix because they also produce content for people that are not you?"

"You don't represent 50% of the world, do you? Not even 50% of the USA.It is just an odd comment you posted."

And then, after the vitriol, it goes on to be a fairly reasonable discourse about Netflix and their foreign content. Seems to me that's the reason this forum exists so why the attacks? What's this forum called? Oh yeah, "The Steam Vent."

I don't have Netflix (dropped it a couple years ago.) And NO, I don't hate "them damned furriners." In my long and wasted life I've visited England several times and love them! I subscribe to Acorn, Britbox and Prime and they provide some of the best foreign TV available. My wife has been hard of hearing for years and so captions are a way of life for me. And, they're essential when watching French, Italian or content with any strong Brit accents. Oh, and by the way, I love foreign films and TV and usually find it far ahead of the comic book garbage coming from Hollywood. Nothing to do with my politics.

Oh! And another by the way, I dislike public funding of the arts. There are many reasons why it's necessary but my take is simple. If an entity can't support itself it doesn't deserve to exist. Oh wait! Did I just expose my politics?

As for politics - I'm 82. I like to talk politics in person.

old arkiedan

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Mob Psycho 100 FTW. ;)

British TV is the best (Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, etc.),along with their ales and sticky toffee pudding. If I hit the lottery I'm moving to Winchester, England. ;)

As for Netflix, the utter lack of commercials alone is worth the meager monthly fee. I canceled cable and save $123 a month. $13 for commercial free Netlix is a pittance by comparison. I have Prime, antenna and buy a few shows like The Orville and Ancient Aliens off iTunes and still save a bundle.

Even if I only watch a few programs, it's commercial free! Cheers in HD. STTNG in HD. The new Voltron, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Plenty to watch. I can't imagine ditching it because they added foreign programming. Mob Psycho 100 (Japanese subtitles) was one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in a long time. I even drove to Pittsburgh to go to a Japanese restaurant that served those deep fried octopus 'balls' they showed constantly. ;)

Last edited:
G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I remembered this thread from awhile back. I just recently watched a German series on Netflix called “Dark”. This is one of the best series I’ve seen on Netflix. It’s an English dub so you don’t have to read subtitles but it’s done well not like Saturday Kung fu classics. It’s a really cool story I highly suggest it. It may just change your view on foreign films. There’s always a hidden gem but you would never know unless you give it a try.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
This is a very interesting perspective, Mark, but probably not anything like reality. Netflix's statements about production facilities in the UK have more to do with needing to produce more UK-based content to support their leading market share in the UK for streaming. Amazon is in second place. Since Netflix's subscriber growth rate outside the US is growing far faster and is much larger than the US subscriber growth rate, it is logical that non-US content must and will increase to fend off local competition. Also, UK produced content is popular in the North American market too, because, ahem, the actors tend to be native English speakers.

Oddly, Netflix's biggest production investment is going to New Mexico, not exactly a place where you'd think there's a lot of product development talent that you discuss, though John Wayne used to like making movies about Texas there...

(I keep a pretty close eye on these guys because I'm a stockholder, and their competitive moat doesn't strike me as all that wide or deep. And they since their stock performance over the past year has not been stellar, and they compete against the likes of Amazon and Disney, I keep wondering if I should just sell. I do think Reed Hastings is a great CEO though, which is why I bought in a few years ago.)
Actually, NM, where I live, has been quite the hub of movie making for sometime now. There are studios everywhere; literately. Whatever is going on in Georgia brought more production here. Netflix just bought a studio down the road from me. I'm surprised by how many movies and TV shows I watch and recognize places in it from around the state. Then again, I'm more surprised about the number of movies made here I don't recognize any place, lots of CGI.

To the OP, I do feel what he is (might) be trying to say. Over the last year or so there has been an influx of older movies and TV shows. I'm not saying that's bad. Watched Cool Hand Luke the other night. What we have here... I'm also not sure if this influx is replacing or increasing content?

Anyway, as someone else said, for the price I you can't beat it. Now sometimes I question why I'm still paying for Hulu. LOL!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I remembered this thread from awhile back. I just recently watched a German series on Netflix called “Dark”. This is one of the best series I’ve seen on Netflix. It’s an English dub so you don’t have to read subtitles but it’s done well not like Saturday Kung fu classics. It’s a really cool story I highly suggest it. It may just change your view on foreign films. There’s always a hidden gem but you would never know unless you give it a try.
I still need to watch season 2! It is indeed a well-made show (although I admit I watched it subtitled... just my thing :) ).

I tried to watch "Black Spot" hoping it would be more of the same, and S1 was ok but season 2 just wound up being "low budget French X-Files" and I can't make myself finish it. So there's a lot of hit or miss on there.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty stoked for that. If it's as good as I hope it is I'm definitely keeping my sub.
I'm holding out hope, but with netflix, who knows.

There are actually TONS of good shows on Netflix, but there are SO MANY SHOWS that it's hard to tell. We recently started watching Mindhunter and it's pretty fantastic so far.

Altered Carbon and Castlevania were both awesome too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

There are actually TONS of good shows on Netflix, but there are SO MANY SHOWS that it's hard to tell. We recently started watching Mindhunter and it's pretty fantastic so far.

Think season 2 Altered Carbon is coming February :)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

Yes, Mindhunter gets even better in the second season.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis