Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Tried watching "dubbed" and "subtitled" movies/shows...lost interest quickly but perhaps that is my mindset which at 64 years old means watching dreadful kung fu movies in the 60's and loving the action but cracking up laughing over the sub.
We have a mixed marriage. My wife loves watching the euro content, including those with subtitles. I can't stand them. I think the acting sucks, and I can't get into the plots. I'm not much of a television series watcher like my wife, and most US made series and movies don't keep my attention either. She thinks I'm weird because I like Arnold Schwarzenegger comedies. They are stupid, but he makes me laugh.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Just cancelled my subscription! I cancelled cable because I was forced to pay for tons of content that I had no interest in. Netflix with the overwhelming amount of foreign content has finally broke me. I have nothing against foreign films, dubbed movies or subtitles. My issue is almost half of new content is foreign, feels like they are padding their loss of content with cheap foreign movies to protect profits. Well I’m letting them know with my wallet that they’ve made the wrong decision.

Sent from my iPad using MySpace
Your goibg to miss the Witcher coming this fall

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I will expand my thoughts on Netflix. A new series has just started. It is the 'The Last Czars". My wife and I watched the first episode last night. It is an original Netflix production and superb. The audio was perfectly balanced with excellent speech quality. This series will cover an important and significant number of events that shaped so much of the twentieth century and continues to shape this new century.

One of the good things about Netflix, is that if you use it properly its AI gets better and better at offering what is of interest to you. I think it an excellent service and getting better.

One series I highly recommend on Netflix is Dad's Army. It ran from 1968 to 1977 on BBC. It chronicles a Home Guard unit through WW II. Not only is it incredibly funny, many have told me that it actually captures the flavor and spirit of the times better then anything else. Start at the beginning and follow it through the war. the first few episodes are black and White. Netflix have done a wonderful job of restoration of these tapes.

My grandfather who sadly died when I was one year old, was the company commander of his local platoon. My father and my uncle John were in the platoon as teenagers. My father always told me he could relate very well to many of the incidents. Give it a try and give yourself a few episodes to get into it.
I have watched the first couple of episodes of "The Last Czars" and I agree that it is very well done. I've only seen a handful of "Dads Army" episodes, long before Netflix was on the scene. I think I'll put that on my list.

A lot of superb programs on Netflix from the UK:
"Peaky Blinders"
"Happy Valley"
"Ripper Street"
"The Frankenstein Chronicles"
"The Fall"

I could go on...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We have a mixed marriage. My wife loves watching the euro content, including those with subtitles. I can't stand them. I think the acting sucks, and I can't get into the plots. I'm not much of a television series watcher like my wife, and most US made series and movies don't keep my attention either. She thinks I'm weird because I like Arnold Schwarzenegger comedies. They are stupid, but he makes me laugh.
'Ahnold' is far funnier than he is given credit for, IMO. "Twins" and "Kindergarten Cop" were quite funny. As for European content, have you watched "Babylon Berlin"? Absolutely superb production, with acting that is second to none.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Just cancelled my subscription! I cancelled cable because I was forced to pay for tons of content that I had no interest in. Netflix with the overwhelming amount of foreign content has finally broke me. I have nothing against foreign films, dubbed movies or subtitles. My issue is almost half of new content is foreign, feels like they are padding their loss of content with cheap foreign movies to protect profits. Well I’m letting them know with my wallet that they’ve made the wrong decision.

I'll bet I can guess what your politics are.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
There is a very good reason that Netflix is investing heavily in Europe and especially the UK. They have been honest about this. The quality of actors, sound engineers, video staff, production staff right down the line is far more professional and better than what is available in the US.

The reason is that all of these individuals can receive rigorous didactic training in their respective crafts. Students have multiple options to receiver the best training in the world in their chosen avocation. In the US options a slim and rapidly getting slimmer. All options are now closed here in Minnesota. One of my nephews has just graduated after getting a degree in theater arts from RADA. This was a lot of hands on rigorous training.

It is for reasons like this that Netflix is going to expand there footprint in the UK. Netflix has just bought a large piece of property in Ashford Kent, UK and is planning a large production/studio complex.

I have found in just one aspect that is a movie has sound mixed in the UK the quality is head and shoulders above anything mixed in Hollywood.

The Bottom line is that Netflix are backing quality productions and now where to produce them.
This is flat out untrue.

Where on earth did you read this nonsense?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I'll bet I can guess what your politics are.
I bet I can guess yours too since you lack basic reading comprehension. I’m going to block you because you’re obviously too stupid to talk to and want to make political insults over a thread about Netflix. Perhaps you should read the rest of the thread before you put your foot in your mouth!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would have cancelled Netflix a LONG TIME ago, but my wife and 2 daughters LOVE Netflix.

And it makes me HAPPY to see them happy. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like foreign films
Bashing is what you get for saying you cancelled Netflix. :D

Now you are a drama queen. :D

Me OTOH, I can't stand foreign films that's not in English (is that the definition of foreign films?). Heck, I can't even watch the Harry Potter movies unless I use English Subtitles. :eek:

Wait, if I use ENG subtitles for everything, then why do I hate movies that are not in English? That makes no sense. Oh, well, I just prefer it if they spoke English (even if I can't understand their accents like Harry Potter) plus use SDH English Subtitles. :D

But I'm not a drama queen since I didn't cancel NFLX and post about it. :D

Wait, is this the STEAM VENT where people go to B-itch about stuffs? :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
'Ahnold' is far funnier than he is given credit for, IMO. "Twins" and "Kindergarten Cop" were quite funny. As for European content, have you watched "Babylon Berlin"? Absolutely superb production, with acting that is second to none.
No on Babylon Berlin. The Last Stand is another totally dumb but hilarious Arnold movie. I bet I've seen it four times.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Bashing is what you get for saying you cancelled Netflix. :D

Now you are a drama queen. :D

Me OTOH, I can't stand foreign films that's not in English (is that the definition of foreign films?). Heck, I can't even watch the Harry Potter movies unless I use English Subtitles. :eek:

Wait, if I use ENG subtitles for everything, then why do I hate movies that are not in English? That makes no sense. Oh, well, I just prefer it if they spoke English (even if I can't understand their accents like Harry Potter) plus use SDH English Subtitles. :D

But I'm not a drama queen since I didn't cancel NFLX and post about it. :D

Wait, is this the STEAM VENT where people go to B-itch about stuffs? :D
English subtitles won’t help if you lack reading comprehension. Can you quote me where I said I dislike foreign films? It’s their business model I am complaining about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
English subtitles won’t help if you lack reading comprehension. Can you quote me where I said I dislike foreign films? It’s their business model I am complaining about.

No, I did NOT say you hate foreign films.

I said that I hate foreign films.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but you liked the Marvel series though right?
Only Daredevil and Punisher, yes. But then they are now cancelled.

I hate all the other stuffs - JJ, LC, IF, Defenders. Especially JJ, cannot stand that show.

Even if the shows start out good, it seems NFLX will eventually screw them up.

Like House of Cards. One of the best shows I've seen. Then they totally screwed up the final season.

Hemlock Grove started out pretty good to me. Then NFLX totally screwed it up after the 1st season.

"Travelers" was awesome to me, then NFLX cancelled it after the 3rd season.

There are a few shows on NFLX that I think are good - The Crown, Mindhunter, Ozark, The OA, The Last Kingdom, Umbrella Academy.

Hopefully NFLX won't totally screw up these shows or just cancel them.

As for the Netflix original movies, I think I hate 99% of them.

But, of course, gotta keep my girls happy. So gotta have NFLX. :D

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Only Daredevil and Punisher, yes. But then they are now cancelled.

I hate all the other stuffs - JJ, LC, IF, Defenders. Especially JJ, cannot stand that show.

Even if the shows start out good, it seems NFLX will eventually screw them up.

Like House of Cards. One of the best shows I've seen. Then they totally screwed up the final season.

Hemlock Grove started out pretty good to me. Then NFLX totally screwed it up after the 1st season.

"Travelers" was awesome to me, then NFLX cancelled it after the 3rd season.

There are a few shows on NFLX that I think are good - The Crown, Mindhunter, Ozark, The OA, The Last Kingdom, Umbrella Academy.

Hopefully NFLX won't totally screw up these shows or just cancel them.

As for the Netflix original movies, I think I hate 99% of them.

But, of course, gotta keep my girls happy. So gotta have NFLX. :D
See, you do like netflix after all, you're just mad at them for making dumb decisions with your shows.

I can't even remember how many times this has happened with the "traditional" tv networks over the years. I let shows go for a few seasons now because of it. If it gets cancelled, I check to see if people thought it came to a satisfactory conclusion.

I haven't seen the Deadwood movie yet, but HBO pissed off a lot of people by cancelling that one in the middle. Frustrating as hell.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
See, you do like netflix after all, you're just mad at them for making dumb decisions with your shows.

I can't even remember how many times this has happened with the "traditional" tv networks over the years. I let shows go for a few seasons now because of it. If it gets cancelled, I check to see if people thought it came to a satisfactory conclusion.

I haven't seen the Deadwood movie yet, but HBO pissed off a lot of people by cancelling that one in the middle. Frustrating as hell.
I loved Deadwood, but I wish I had not seen the Deadwood movie, which I thought was lame. :D

As for NFLX or any network, it all boils down to whether they have the contents you love. If they no longer have ENOUGH of the contents you love, like the OP, then you cancel - unless your wife and daughters love the network. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I loved Deadwood, but I wish I had not seen the Deadwood movie, which I thought was lame. :D

As for NFLX or any network, it all boils down to whether they have the contents you love. If they no longer have ENOUGH of the contents you love, like the OP, then you cancel - unless your wife and daughters love the network. :D
Damn. Sucks that the movie wasn't good. They waited too long to do it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Damn. Sucks that the movie wasn't good. They waited too long to do it.
Yeah, the DW movie felt contrived or awkward. Just loss the DW magic.

And it's not like the movie really "solved" or "answered" anything for me. Just felt like it dragged on.

In the end, I was like "WTF?" :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis