Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will always and always buy from a dealer vs online whenever possible. I get fantastic support from my dealer that no Internet Dealer can touch in my experience. That being said, I think that Klipsch is sold all over the place and has been commoditized. That is not to say it's a bad speaker, it's just from a dealer's perspective, the probably choose not to carry it, because they can't make margin on it due to too much competition. In the case of Klipsch, I would say buying online is not a bad idea.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, people ship heavy big speakers often enough. For big heavy speakers, they better ship freight, not UPS or FedEx.

2nd, it depends on the actual savings. If we are talking about a few hundred dollars, then it’s probably not worth it. If we are talking a few thousand dollars, then I think it’s worth it.

3rd, if your local dealer can offer you at least the same or even bigger savings, then that’s a no-brainer.

Let’s just say that no matter which B&M speakers I bought, I always got at least a 20% discount, including the B&W 802 D2, Revel Salon2, KEF 201/2, and RBH speakers.

The local B&W dealer gave me the discount, while the local Revel and KEF did not. So I bought the B&W locally and bought the Revel and KEF online.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes. After a month of searching and researching, thinking, getting great advice from many knowlegeable and experienced audiophiles, I have decided on three ForteIIIs, distressed oak. Making the purchase as we speak.
Congrats!

On the delivery.

Idk where you ordered them from but I've had good experience dealing with Crutchfield. It wasn't a large item like that, but the whole order process, shipment tracking, etc was good.

If they are indeed being shipped, yeah, it's a half day off or whatever because somebody will have to sign for the delivery.

My HSU subs came via Fedex ground...they actually called me a day ahead to let me know the delivery time window.

2channel lover

First, people ship heavy big speakers often enough. For big heavy speakers, they better ship freight, not UPS or FedEx.

2nd, it depends on the actual savings. If we are talking about a few hundred dollars, then it’s probably not worth it. If we are talking a few thousand dollars, then I think it’s worth it.

3rd, if your local dealer can offer you at least the same or even bigger savings, then that’s a no-brainer.

Let’s just say that no matter which B&M speakers I bought, I always got at least a 20% discount, including the B&W 802 D2, Revel Salon2, KEF 201/2, and RBH speakers.

The local B&W dealer gave me the discount, while the local Revel and KEF did not. So I bought the B&W locally and bought the Revel and KEF online.
I'm still a touch, feel, kind of buyer by nature, most of us are probably similar for big ticket items, but I've gotten a lot more comfortable buying AV equipment online now.

I did buy some things from a B&M shop and they were flexible on price.

They did very well on the pre/pro...matched an online price that was $800 off msrp on the 7702mkii...it was a closeout so maybe they had more leeway or incentive.

Heavy shipments...I will find out in a few more weeks how Salk ships, but iirc he said Fedex. HSU, the subs came via Fedex Ground...the subs arrived fine..., off loaded with a dolly...by a woman delivery driver! The boxes weren't even dinged much, but kind of hard to toss those around.

The Salks will be about 80lbs or so each but the shape makes them a little easier to toss or topple over...I said I wasn't going to worry so, I better stop.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Salks will be about 80lbs or so each but the shape makes them a little easier to toss or topple over...I said I wasn't going to worry so, I better stop.
Yes, Salk ships items this large by FedEx Ground. And yes, they are very well packed. Unpacking them will take some time and effort :).

Over the years, I've received 3 shipments from Salk. All of them arrived in good shape.

2channel lover

Yes, Salk ships items this large by FedEx Ground. And yes, they are very well packed. Unpacking them will take some time and effort :).

Over the years, I've received 3 shipments from Salk. All of them arrived in good shape.
Comforting...the wait has gone really fast actually. I've had a lot going on this summer, plus I purposely added a landscaping project that took a few weeks.

But now I've hit that stretch at the end you spoke of...the days are starting to drag it seems.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
But now I've hit that stretch at the end you spoke of...the days are starting to drag it seems.
I do understand if it seems like nothing is happening, other than crickets & tumbleweed.

Just don't expect us to be interested if you fill the time with a new-found interest in selecting speaker cables for your new speakers :eek:.

So until FedEx pays a visit…

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
I set up the freight shipment for Tuesday, since I am out of town this weekend and part of Monday. Could have had them delivered tomorrow if I was available. I got a great deal on these three Forte IIIs. Thanks to everyone here for all the great advice! I was frustrating that each time I thought my mind was made up, someone posted something really intelligent that made me change my mind. Nothing impulsive - I have been actively searching and researching and trying to make a decision for over two months now, and it will be another several weeks before the music listening room is complete.

I had a great discussion with my architect daughter, who is helping me to design the room. She said, Dad, in my work, I have to have everything figured out and spec'ed out we'll in advance, so everything can be delivered and installed on a tight time schedule. I explained that part of the fun of this is taking my time, thinking carefully, exploring new ideas and various equipment. She agreed that it is nice not to be under a tight deadline for a change. :)

Now, I need to paint the room (the cork floor is installed), select and buy the large carpet for the middle of the room, buy and install the TV on the wall, decide what furniture or racks I need for the components, select and purchase the components, wired it up, choose some chairs for the key listening / viewing area, then start listening to the music, experiment with speaker location and some cool 70s theme sound panels my daughter is working on and experiment with those.

But after the speaker selection process and the floor installation, I feel like I am over halfway done! LOL

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Throw us a pic of that cork floor. I'm curious. (and of your system later on, naturally:D:D)

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
My speakers arrived on Wednesday evening. I moved them into my game room (to be converted to much nicer music room) to test them on my existing
Yamaha RX-V377 receiver (being moved to my son's apartment soon, as well as the TV, cabinet, old Polk Monitor Series 11T speakers and the small subwoofer you see in the photo.

I tested the two on the left and they sounded superb! Cannot wait to hear what they sound like in a proper set up room and new components, and a room remodeled into an elegant listening room, with help from my architect daughter. You can see the cork floor has already been installed (we had wall to wall carpet). My daughter is recommending a 9'x12' for the center of the room. I was surprised by the lack of booming echoes in the current set up - I am really liking the cork floor - it is softer than hardwoods and seems to absorb sound better.

Attachments

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

I’ve always had AV equipment delivered via ups, my ups driver probably hates me. I remember once he knocked on the door and said “you got a really big one this time” preceded by a sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve always had AV equipment delivered via ups, my ups driver probably hates me. I remember once he knocked on the door and said “you got a really big one this time” preceded by a sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Amps and the likes are fine by UPS/FedEx.

But very large bulky heavy speakers and subs are a different story.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Love those cane grills. Those are some handsome monkey coffins you got there!

Mike V

Mike V

Junior Audioholic
These three Forte IIIs were shipped to me via a freight company on a pallet.

And I really do like the grills - they are the reason I chose distressed oak, because only distressed oak has these grills.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think Amps and the likes are fine by UPS/FedEx.

But very large bulky heavy speakers and subs are a different story.
I'm always home to meet UPS when I have large packages. I also have a dolly to meet them at the truck with. If I had a job like that, I would expect to have to move heavy stuff. I brought the side-by-side fridge in here by myself. I hung drywall for 20 years and I'm only 5'9" and 170#. America should be in better shape for this. If I was a FedX or UPS driver, I would not want to be wimpier than their weight limits.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis