But, The Subs Shake The Whole House

D

Djjosh

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha 5760, cheap 7.1 Yamaha speaker system, but from the 5760's sub out it goes rca to 1/4 inch to an Ashly four way electronic 24db/octave variable crossover using only the sub low pass out to XLR then to a QSC RMX 2450 power amp pushing four Audiobahn 12" car subs in two big sealed truck boxes at 2ohms a channel the bass rumbles guts, brains, shakes the foundation, and hits you in the chest.

To me this sounds the best I have ever herd, I know I need to get better mains and surrounds but am i missing out if I keep my sub system? :cool:

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
audiobahn is known for loud thumping bass, but not very accurate or clear, even in the car audio business.

if it sounds good and youre on a budget then im sure thats good enough, you might want to also check out a home theater sub in the same price range and see which you like better. SVS or HSU both make awesome subs, as well as the axiom ep500 and 600.

the 4 audiobahn speakers plus boxes probobly add up to at least 700-1200 bucks right? i bet an ep500 would thump almost as hard and sound cleaner. it runs at $1200, free shipping.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
One persons treasure is another mans trash.
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.
Thought my Klipsch 15" sub was pretty darn good until i got the SVS 20-39pci. Now i know what pretty darn good is.

D

Djjosh

Audiophyte
The subs were leftovers from my car there about 500w rms $75 each now the boxes about $45 each the amp and crossover were very expensive but those are for live stage use and are just hooked up at home when not in use but I think the amps 1200w a channel at 2ohms for $600 and crossover $600 for a grand total of about $1,700

You say I will get more clarity and accuracy with the same punch. any body know why? and what are the names of these super subs

SVS has a passive setup thats just like mine exept for the subs if I put my JL audio subs in would that make my syatem better

Last edited:
P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You say I will get more clarity and accuracy with the same punch. any body know why?
Materials used, better design, better crossover, superior driver, basically everything that goes into a quality performing sub will be far superior. You might want to demo a sub first and see if you like the difference in sound, because allot of people like a one bass note that shakes the house.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you feel like doing some DIY stuff, you can always acquire a JL audio sub, build a suitable box for it, and hook it up to your amp. That would also deliver chest pounding bass, but with more accuracy.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jaxvon said:
If you feel like doing some DIY stuff, you can always acquire a JL audio sub, build a suitable box for it, and hook it up to your amp. That would also deliver chest pounding bass, but with more accuracy.
Spectacular idea, a JL W7 can be found on ebay for around $350 and will put those audiobahn subs to shame.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
Spiffyfast said:
Spectacular idea, a JL W7 can be found on ebay for around $350 and will put those audiobahn subs to shame.
ill second that. jl is much better

but i also think an svs or ep500 will still beat a jl

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Perhaps, but talking drivers only, I think that JL makes superior drivers. Have you ever seen one of their W7 drivers? Incredible. They're very low distortion, highly linear transducers, some of the best sub drivers you can buy, period. I'd love to hear one of JL's home subs (Fathom or Gotham), but I just don't have the cash to shell out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis