Building new house. Could use some setup advice

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Like u said, currently the room is all about form over function. We all have opinions here on how that room should be laid out but we're not spending the money or have to answer to a higher power (read: wife);)
True story. I think for what it is it will
Still sound good and we will be happy. Especially when you look at what 5.1 setup we had for 14 years!!!
There will be more ambient sound and flooding of sound, but I am ok with that in this room. It will be setup up for get togethers, parties, entertaining etc.
Basically I’m asking advice on how to drive a Toyota Corolla, when you guys are driving Cadillacs. The Corolla will never be a Cadillac, but we can make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 9 ft ceiling height basement with 1400 square feet to someday build a real setup.
At least pre-wire the basement now so you don't have to worry about it later.

As for the fireplace room, I would get in-wall & in-ceiling speakers and make it part of the overall house budget. The subwoofers could also be either in-wall or in-ceiling. These speakers/subs don't have to be very expensive.

Brands to consider: RBH, KEF, Revel, Monitor Audio.

I think it would also increase the value of your home and will look much better than the current speakers and subwoofer you have.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And thanks for getting Jethro Tull stick in my head!

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
At least pre-wire the basement now so you don't have to worry about it later.

As for the fireplace room, I would get in-wall & in-ceiling speakers and make it part of the overall house budget. The subwoofers could also be either in-wall or in-ceiling. These speakers/subs don't have to be very expensive.

Brands to consider: RBH, KEF, Revel, Monitor Audio.

I think it would also increase the value of your home and will look much better than the current speakers and subwoofer you have.
Just want to make sure you guys don’t think I’m using this setup. This was my old setup.

I just sent a message to the installer for two options:

1. Quote on in-wall speakers.

2. Moving the front speakers lower into the bookshelves and 8ft apart. Moving the side surrounds back and next to the LP.

If the in-walls aren’t too much more, I will do it and move the new Polk speakers I bought to my office and setup 5.1 surround. Return 1 pair of speakers since I wouldn’t need 7.1 in the office. That room is 13x10 and will have my 46” Plasma tv.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I’ll keep the rears in the dining room for ambient music

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
So I had them move the speaker connector locations. Good timing as the drywall is going up Thursday. I feel better about the front speaker locations and I have some options for height placement.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
So here’s the final layout, I’m sure it will be far from perfect, and I’ll love it. Also left the original size photos for better perspective of the room size.

Front: 8’ apart about 4’ off the ground
Polk S15 scored for $160
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lA2fuyCTdG0/p_107SIGS15/Polk-Audio-Signature-S15-Black.html

Polk S35 Center under TV $230
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS35/Polk-Audio-Signature-S35-Black.html

Side Surrounds: on 1/4-20 mounts angled at LP. I will try to move them back a little farther than the mark shows.
Polk S10s $130 a pair
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS10/Polk-Audio-Signature-S10-Black.html

Rear Surrounds:
Same Polk S10 8 feet apart

Sub Location. Klipsch R12SW
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714R12SW/Klipsch-Reference-R-12SW.html?tp=187&awkw=81953407225&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=51833810305&awdv=m&awug=9015276

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
So here’s the final layout, I’m sure it will be far from perfect, and I’ll love it. Also left the original size photos for better perspective of the room size.

Consider moving your side surrounds further back, above that beam and top plates on both sides at least to the 90 deg position of the main seating or a bit more, up to 110 deg.

Last edited:
A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Consider moving your side surrounds further back, above that beam and top plates on both sides at least to the 90 deg position of the main seating (90 deg) or a bit more, uo top 110 deg.
Ok sounds good!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
aqualung,

I somewhat feel your pain, as we are just Renovating the Main Floor. (see https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/waf-a-new-beginning-where-should-one-start.108444/ )

The move putting the TV above the fireplace is one many folks make, and regret later. (Designers seem to love this position.) You are so far along, I suggest you bite the bullet and buy this TV mount, and then lower the speakers into the book shelves as others have recommended. ( I bought - but haven't yet mounted a North Bayou Universal Full Motion Articulating Gas Spring Wall Monitor TV Mount F400 as i only needed 10 inches of movement). This one will allow you to swing it down about 32 inches in front of the Fireplace when you really want to get into watching a Movie, or Sports, etc. Get the installation instructions ASAP, and have your contractor frame it to suit now.

https://dynamicmounting.com/purchase/

As for the overhead Atmos speakers, it's obviously a compromise too. I installed (just put the painted Grills on tonight) 4 Polk MC60 In-Ceiling Speakers from Fry's in the USA. They are once again on sale (and even ridiculously low with a Promo Code). I figure they must go on sale quite regularly. https://www.frys.com/product/7869539?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

These Polks may work for you as they have aimable tweeters which could help compensate for the roof angle. As they are low cost, if they don't work out, you can easily remove them and move up to more expensive in ceiling speakers later. But I think you'll be fine with these. Going to Atmos removes the need for Rear Surrounds as you are now into a 5.1.2 setup and your Misses should like two less speakers hanging around... I actually got buy in for a 7.1.4 setup in the Games Room, but I'd like to get it to 7.2.4 someday. :rolleyes:

You said "So what if I move the front speakers to the bookshelves highlighted in yellow? That would put them about 4 ft above the floor. The Center channel will be mounted under the TV" Optimally having the front speakers at ear height when seated (about 41 inches for me) is what you should aim for. If you can't get the center the same, there is a bracket that attaches to the TV Mount I suggested, that could get it close.

Last edited:
A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Jim for the input! I’m going to just settle with a 7.1 setup. Which works. It doesn’t have to be crazy since we will watch TV, movies, and have functions in the room and play music. I think at some point I’ll build something more serious in the basement. Real Atmos too lol.

This Receiver I’m sure does the most basic Atmos. So I will just take advantage of the 7.1 in this room. I wanted to keep the rear channels for music also. I do a lot of cooking and prep and it would be nice to have ambient music over the dinner table or when entertaining.

I had them move the front speakers into the Bookshelves. So that will fix a lot of the issues.

I think we will be happy with the setup being universal.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
As far as the TV mount I’m looking for something similar. That TV mount will go on a single center stud, which will work. I’m going to hang the Center channel from the mount like you said. I tried to get them to put more framing into the fireplace. At least 2 studs 16” apart. They’re put up the drywall today so hopefully they got it done. I’ll have to ask him today.

The good thing is the fireplace is about 3 feet tall so from 8-9 feet the viewing angle should be decent. I will check out that tv mount. I definitely want tilting and telescoping option.

Last edited:
A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Here’s my Zone 2. I picked up some Polk Atrium 6s.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I think I am old school. I actually like the look of these Polk Signature speakers. They dark grey cabs match the floors and color scheme of the room. I don’t mind seeing speaker cabs in the room

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oooh I see fresh snow! We’re getting some here too. The high for today will land around zero degrees. Yay.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Oooh I see fresh snow! We’re getting some here too. The high for today will land around zero degrees. Yay.
Haha! We’ve been 20 and below. Today is the Heatwave. 56 degrees. Going to wash that salt off my Jeep. Of course the doors and hard top are on. Showing you that pic would be like showing a pic of your wife with no makeup. Lol

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are building a stick home, then wire the heck out of it. If the basement is unfinished, then find a spot now for your A/V head-end and network head-end that will never be disturbed and has a lot of room for growth with high access.

Run wiring to any and all rooms that you may EVER want wiring to. Wires are cheap, repairing drywall and repainting sucks.

All this said, I'm not really comfortable with discussing your family room setup. There is absolutely nothing that I see there that is good and I would ditch pretty much every aspect of surround sound and just get a couple of bookshelf speakers and work with them, if that's even possible.

From the first photo you posted, it looks like the outer edge of the bookshelves that flank the fireplace are 18.5" wide. That would make the internal edge to edge dimensions under 17" wide. Your typical A/V receiver is 17" wide. So, an A/V receiver won't fit in your finished opening, unless I'm reading things wrong. There are two conflicting notes on this as one says to build it 19.5" wide, and one showing the frame out as 18.5" wide. Be very aware of that as it will screw you if it is wrong.

Not my decision at all, but I would have gone with a lower, wider fireplace, then dropped the TV down to a usable level and left the space wide enough to handle that. I would have put the A/V components in a completely different location than the front of the room so that they were hidden and not a part of the room.

I would have planned for the speakers as part of the fireplace/TV design from the start so that they were position properly and I would have found a place for the subwoofer, or gone with a good quality in-wall/floor unit that would have enhanced the sound of the system without impact the room layout and design.

At some point, those stupid tall fireplaces will finally go away when home designers get their heads out of their rears. Not in this design though, which is a shame.

I would recommend that you add proper 2x4 framing, centered on the opening over the fireplace, at 16" on center, for your wall mount as that is industry standard. It appears to be wider than that currently and most mounts won't span the wider distance.

I like the use of the large conduit between the equipment and the TV location. I would run it more as a straight line then the large swoop at the left side bottom, but it shouldn't any issue no matter what.

Make sure to run network to all display and equipment locations. Do NOT use wireless for any permanent devices which can be wired. Get the wire there.

Wire, wire, wire, wire, wire, wire!!! (oh, and label the wires so you know what they are and where they go!)

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I see all your points and I get it. I wanted more than just TV sound, bookshelf speakers, or a sound bar. This is what I can afford and I would rather have less than perfect surround sound, than none at all. Even if I am just filling the room with sound and the sound separation isn’t perfect. I have lived with imperfection all my life.. Maybe someday that will change. I can see from what a-lot are running in this forum, why you wouldn’t recommend or run what I have. It would be a huge downgrade and sacrifice from your current setups. So I’m a little out of my league in that aspect. But this has to be better than just having TV sound. I don’t have the budget to even compare to some of the setups I see on here. Not right now. The basement is unfinished, maybe someday. From what I coming from in the old house this is an upgrade, but it was in no way supposed to be something that it can’t be.
I am having the contractor double check the spacing in the bookshelves again and he is going to get back to me. I set the expectation that it had to fit from the beginning, so they should make it work. So if its not going to work I need a plan B. Thank you for bringing that up and I have been watching it like a hawk. As far as the wiring job I already paid the audio guy to wire everything and it’s done. The drywall is goin up now as we speak. If the receiver doesn’t fit which the builder said it should, I can only think of putting the receiver in the master walk in closet, which is behind the fireplace. That of course will most likely cost me to have him come back and rewire again.

Going back, my wife wanted the TV over the fireplace and bookshelves integrated, and I didn’t mind. Her sister has a similar setup and we liked how they had their receiver and PlayStation etc in the shelving. I guess I like that and don’t mind it in view. Although their fireplace is higher at 5 foot plus. Until now I never thought of having the receiver in another room. I’m still behind in tech and thinking old school. I didn’t know receivers had apps at the time that could control them wirelessly through walls until a few weeks ago when I got the Denon Receiver. So the build was already under way.
The fireplace is a 33” Majestic and we didn’t want anything lower. Our old house had a 5 foot plus fireplace and we thought we were doing good having a lower fireplace. I guess they make them lower?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis