Building new house. Could use some setup advice

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
It all started with a short in my 14 year old Infinity sub.. this was my old setup and a Yamaha 5.1 receiver

I went from buying a 12” sub Black Friday special to getting a whole new setup. Oops:
Denon X1300W 7.1/5.2 Atmos Reciever
Klipsch R-12SW sub
Polk S35 center
Polk S15 front speakers
Polk S10 side and rear surrounds

Our TV will be mounted over the Fireplace with 8 foot built-in shelves on the sides which are off limits according to the lovey wife.

I am so far planning on mounting the front, sides, and rear speakers on these mounts.

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Bookshelf-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI

Here’s the floor plan and speaker placement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Here are the spots I picked out to mount the speaker. The wires (green) are to be installed in wall with connection plates.
Front:

Sides:

Rear

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I am debating exchanging the rear S10 surrounds with the bigger S15. Any suggestions would be awesome.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That seems awful high up and very close together to do LR speakers. You might consider doing display mounted speakers like ones from this company
https://artisonusa.com
And the LCRs from www.rbh.com

They address the narrow distance between the LRC

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I am debating exchanging the rear S10 surrounds with the bigger S15. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thank you, seriously, for the photos and details... people seldom do this!

That said - I would not spend any more money in this room. Function must make way to form in this room, and as proposed, is not worth spending more money on.

But... I'll bet there's another room in the house we can tell you how to turn in to a proper theater!

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Thank you, seriously, for the photos and details... people seldom do this!

That said - I would not spend any more money in this room. Function must make way to form in this room, and as proposed, is not worth spending more money on.

But... I'll bet there's another room in the house we can tell you how to turn in to a proper theater!
Yes the 1440 unfinished square feet in the basement lol. Yea I would have loved to do floor standing speakers but it was a no and out of the budget right now.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
That seems awful high up and very close together to do LR speakers. You might consider doing display mounted speakers like ones from this company
https://artisonusa.com
And the LCRs from www.rbh.com

They address the narrow distance between the LRC
Yea. I may be able to get a spot in the bookshelves, but may not make a difference. Like the prior person said. This may be a form over function room.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH is in order. :)

Unfortunately the way you are proposing and perhaps forced by higher powers, it will not be a good theater setup.
TV will be too high for comfortable watching. Front speakers way up there will not sound good.

How large is the TV? How far is the seating from it and from that seating to the rear surrounds?
It seems that with 4 surround positions you will need a AVR with 7.1 capability not 5.1.

Just noticed your side surrounds are in front of the primary seating location. That is horrible location. It needs to be at least in line to the seat on the sides if not a bit backwards to what is called the 110 deg position.
For that size space to have a meaningful sub presentation I think you need a much better sub.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
The TV is 55” and will be about 4.5 feet up. It’s not the tall fireplaces in a lot of homes. I’d imagine we will be about easily 6-7 feet back. To the rear surrounds will be a bit farther as you can see it’s a 16x21 room

If you look at my old infinity system it was in about the same size room and it was ok. I did swap it with this new setup and it sounded aweome. I’m not expecting to have theatre sound that will blow my doors off but I know this is an improvement over my old setup.

I know having the speakers up higher isn’t the best, but if they’re angled down I’m sure the sound will project better.

I know I have a lot of form over function, but what suggestions could make it better?

The side surrounds were a little forward for atmos presentation. The receiver is 7.1 or 5.2 Atmos.

I have a lot to learn, and I plan on having a better setup later. What could I do to get better sound in this room. Should I have done inwall speakers?

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I guess I am accepting and going into this as “not the best setup”.
I am just trying to get nice decent sound that I can accept and that is so subjective. Lol

I guess looking at my prior puny system I will still be happy for what it is.

Now when I finish a room in the basement. Function will be going over form.

Thanks guys for being honest and helping

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I have a lot to learn, and I plan on having a better setup later.
If so make sure u leave yourself a dedicated access panel for all the electronic equipment cabling (AVR, coax, speaker cables, etc.), preferably near or behind your entertainment center hub, if possible (the closet?), for easy access in the future if u decide to move your speakers around (heights, surrounds) or the TV height/location. The access panel can always be camouflaged by a painting or whatnot. Before closing the walls, run some fish rope along to each speaker/coax, etc. location back to the access panel. Leave about 6’ of slack in the wiring in the ceiling, on both ends; be it coax (router extender for instance), speaker wires, etc., if u decide to move the AV plates down to standard height or to a nearby location.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
If so make sure u leave yourself a dedicated access panel for all the electronic equipment cabling (AVR, coax, speaker cables, etc.), preferably near or behind your entertainment center hub, if possible (the closet?), for easy access in the future if u decide to move your speakers around (heights, surrounds) or the TV height/location. The access panel can always be camouflaged by a painting or whatnot. Before closing the walls, run some fish rope along to each speaker/coax, etc. location back to the access panel. Leave about 6’ of slack in the wiring in the ceiling, on both ends; be it coax (router extender for instance), speaker wires, etc., if u decide to move the AV plates down to standard height or to a nearby location.
The access panel is in the built in bookshelf next to the gas fireplace.

There’s a raceway to the tv. The receiver and PS4 are going in the bookshelves. Maybe I could have the installer move the left and right speakers inputs lower and in the bookshelves.. the Fireplace mantle is about 4’. The center speaker is 6” High and the 55” TV above it.
Should I have the installer move the side inputs more to the sides of the LP than the front. The installer suggested them a little forward and up higher to use the Denon 1300’s Atmos ability. It does 7.1 and Atmos in 5.2 from what I understand. He also left about 6ft of extra wire for each channel for things like you suggested. I have pics and access to all the wirepoints via attic and basement.

My thing is this is better than a sound bar and wireless sub that some people get. I’ve also seen and heard tons of cube satellite systems with subs that sound decent in rooms like this. I had a chance to swap out to the new speakers and receiver in my old house before packing them back up. The room is about the same size except no vaulted ceilings and I thought it was perfect. Only difference is they’ll be mounted higher and pointed towards the LP. i just want something decent for HT than tinny box setup, and that I can listen to music in 7.1 stereo.

I have a 9 ft ceiling height basement with 1400 square feet to someday build a real setup. I also have a Jeep that eats a lot of budget..

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Also there will be 6 ft between the front L and R speakers. I can do the same with the rear

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
So what if I move the front speakers to the bookshelves highlighted in yellow? That would put them about 4 ft above the floor. The Center channel will be mounted under the TV

Move my side speakers back, and tilted toward the LP. Possibly lower them a little?

I think my wife will understand if I move the front speakers in the bookshelves. They’re still pretty small.

So I measured, and the main viewing area will be 8 ft from the tv. The TV will be 4 ft from the floor, which isn’t too bad due to reclining furniture. The rear surrounds will be 7 ft away but the receivers sound check will adjust the delay.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Also there will be 6 ft between the front L and R speakers. I can do the same with the rear

Yes. Is there any way u can push both the front & surrounds to 8' feet? For a larger sound-stage. I guess not in the front, since it would cancel the custom bookcase(s).

Good luck with the room and enjoy

Last edited:
A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Yes if i push them to the outside ends of the bookshelves it would be about there. The length is 8’7” from one side to the other

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
The rear surrounds will be easily 7.5-8 ft apart.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Yes. Is there any way u can push both the front & surrounds to 8' feet? For a larger sound-stage. I guess not in the front, since it would cancel the custom bookcase(s).

Good luck with the room and enjoy
Thanks! Damn custom bookshelves. I knew as soon as she ordered them it would cancel out my wish for floor-standing speakers. She’s just going to have to compromise

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Like u said, currently the room is all about form over function. We all have opinions here on how that room should be laid out but we're not spending the money or have to answer to a higher power (read: wife);)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
First, congrats on being able to build a house. It’s a great feeling. At least when t dust settles.
The room is going to look great, and although compromised, you’ve taken advice and are working with what you have.
A couple thoughts. First, your AV guy misinformed you. You won’t get any Atmos capability without additional speakers in the ceiling(up firing modules won’t work in your room). Atmos requires normal 5/7.1 layout with speakers overhead. They mix together to create 3d sound. I think you could get away with that, but the waf would have to give a lot. Don’t see that happening. Good effort moving side surrounds back too. As mentioned they should be at at least 90deg to the LP but it is what it is.
Also, IMO the rear surrounds are too far back, and will have a really hard time integrating the sound field. I would not install them. Appreciate the pics. They really help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis