Building my first house and am already planning on moving out…

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We can afford it, but we’re just going to be strapped as far as excess spending on toys, food, etc. We do a good job now, but we’ll have to make sure to stay that way.
You can always sell blood and plasma. :D

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
As far as putting up a fence for your dogs, you could consider putting in an electronic underground fence for your dogs. You buy a kit and bury wire around the perimeter of your back yard (or the area you want the dogs to stay in). Then you hook the wires up to a power unit and put a dog collar with a small battery in it on each dog. When the dogs try to cross the underground wire they get a small electric discharge and they retreat. In a few days the dogs learn the boundaries and they don't get zapped anymore. You only have to bury the wire a shovel full of dirt deep and its not much hassle. Then you avoid fence painting, repair, grass trimming and the look of a fenced in yard. I did it about ten years ago and at that time I think it was about $250 versus the cost of a fence.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
What kind of units does he normally get? If they're Goodman, you can get great prices online. I bought two furnaces from www.alpinehomeair.com and had a local guy install one of them. I did the other one before I found out that city hall requires a contractor to do it, permits, BS, etc. They have really good customer service and help lines, double the normal warranty and while I have read comments in builder's forums saying that the sheet metal was thin/inferior and they have problems, they use the same control boards as just about everyone else and I can say without a doubt that the sheet metal was heavier than what it replaced. Both have operated perfectly and are very quiet.
I’ll look into this. My father-in-law is the one building this and he’s getting some KILLER prices from his subs as a favor to him. But, I’ll ask him what he’s looking at getting and check prices online. I’m already doing this for the electrical… managed to save about $50 per every 250’ for some 12/2 NM-B. :)

Truf

As far as putting up a fence for your dogs, you could consider putting in an electronic underground fence for your dogs. You buy a kit and bury wire around the perimeter of your back yard (or the area you want the dogs to stay in). Then you hook the wires up to a power unit and put a dog collar with a small battery in it on each dog. When the dogs try to cross the underground wire they get a small electric discharge and they retreat. In a few days the dogs learn the boundaries and they don't get zapped anymore. You only have to bury the wire a shovel full of dirt deep and its not much hassle. Then you avoid fence painting, repair, grass trimming and the look of a fenced in yard. I did it about ten years ago and at that time I think it was about $250 versus the cost of a fence.

I wanted to do this but my wife doesn’t. She’s really adamant about putting up a physical barrier (well, more physical than a shock collar, I guess) because she sleeps during the days when I’m at work. She doesn’t want to have to worry about something happening while she’s asleep.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Wow I don't even have 200 in the bank right now. I am really doing well I see..:eek:

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
tighten up and audio consult on the side :)

How about audio consulting on the side for $$$ :D :D

Hey, if you like the lot and the house plan. I would tighten up and budget for awhile, if it were me. Things that are installed and would cost a lot to upgrade, you kind of need to go ahead with those. But items that are easy to replace, e.g. furmiture do without or go inexpensive route first.

The economy and stock market will come back (some say as early as next May) and you will get raises etc.

Then you will have a house you will like and that is worth a lot ;) :)

Good Luck!

MidCow2

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis