Building a Windows Media Center 2005 PC - Parts 1 & 2

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Overboard?

I know that I may get some bad feedback for my comments on this, but please take a couple of moments to just contemplate my assertion about this system.
I think the articles from Parts 1 to 4 are all well written and fully explained. I just want to say as a general comment that this is exactly the reason why I switched from PCs to Macs five years ago. Prior to that, I had a computer business building custom PCs. My overall system-building experience is in excess of 12+ years and I do have to say that I did enjoy it for the most part (except for getting my hands cut-up occasionally by the metal cases and internal snap-out parts that prevailed many years ago).
When I looked at this latest project, the first thing that came to my mind was that this should be a fairly smooth process now that both software and hardward has advanced so much since the days I worked on these things.
However, after reading through each article, it became obviously clear to me that MS just doesn't quite get it yet. I kept feeling like my move to Mac was more strongly reinforced. Just the areas about enabling the Media player after everything is installed or face problems with drivers, media, etc. and the need for a complete reinstall to resolve this was enough to turn me off. I'm not sure how to explain it, but, it is just too much work for not a great payoff. I did like the specs on the DVD performance though. My main gripe is that it just seems to me that the idea of a media-center PC is great, but the hardware and software, at least in the PC implementation, is not nearly mature enough for mainstream users. Some of my PC friends jokingly hassle me about using Macs, but, I've been able to "convert" a number of them to Macs after several months where they realized that I spend literally "no" time doing any hardware configuration, re-installing software, fixing bugs, updating virus software, etc. etc. I'm not about to claim one system is better than the other, that is a matter of personal choice. My main point is that, once again, a supreme effort is required to put together functions for producing a convenience that, at best, should be vastly cheaper and simpler to do. I know Apple's "Front Row" application doesn't have as many features, but it would literally take one paragraph to explain how to get started using it:
  • Plug Apple computer in.
  • Turn on computer and login.
  • Startup Front Row application, pickup remote control, and select desired function.
  • Choose media from application and press "Play" on the remote control.
  • Enjoy!
Now granted, it isn't hooked up to digital cable, etc., but the principle of integration and simplicity is applied quite well. There are external USB devices for capturing cable TV, software for DVR functionality, etc as well, but it is not as mainstream as those available for the PC.
I just hope that in the next few months Apple will bring out a set-top device that will basically add HDTV and DVR functionality to their fine product, then we can see a review that just has a very small "Part 1". I think the Windows version will be very good once they can get hardware suppliers to integrate the necessary tools easily, simply, and at a reasonable cost. I would look foward to seeing that happen!

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I was going to ask "what about us Mac users" but Awesomebass pretty well answered it for me. I have been kicking around the idea of eventually going the HTPC route but since nearly everything I read was about Wintel I didn't know if it was even feasible for Macs.

Forget who said it earlier but yes, a Mac Mini "on steroids" so to speak would be an awesome HTMac (to coin a term).

Howver, to get started I was thinking of running an Ethernet line from my trusty old B&W G3 (with G4 upgrade) to my planned basement media room and getting a Squeezebox for a music server setup.

With Macs now migrating to Intel chips the lives of us Mac users might get very interesting...mostly in a good way. Dual boot Win/Mac OS X box anyone? Or even Win/Mac/LINUX for uber-geeks? (yes, I know we already have BSD Unix built in)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Has the whole world decided that convenience is more important than quality?

DVD software has some of the worst video quality I have ever seen and I would not own an HTPC until its video quality is on par with separate DVD components. I have seen little effort in this regard.:(

If we are not careful, we may all be watching compressed versions of our favorite movies downloaded from the internet.

I agreed in the past, but FINALLY some of the video cards are starting to get it right. Plus they are rolling out 72Hz "refresh" rates so instead of 2:3 you are getting 3:3 from native 24fps source material. This looks very good and eliminates most of the deinterlacing and jaggie issues.

I think as technologies continue to roll out like ViiV and CableCARD for the PC, we'll see a more 'practical' HTPC start to emerge.

pappekak

pappekak

Enthusiast
MythTv

Any plans on a similar report for a Linux based HTPC such as MythTv?

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
My Dream HTPC

pappekak said:
Any plans on a similar report for a Linux based HTPC such as MythTv?

I think linux VDR is probably the best. While it may be the biggest tech hill to climb compared to MCE. VDR and linux in general are very economical with the video/processor power of the PC. I have read on other forums that a 2.3 P4 is doing full 1080i on linux and needing a 2.8-3.0 for the same 1080i on windows.

My dream HTPC would be a monster backend computer with all the processor, video and cooling power I could afford and have 4 DVB-S(attelite) tuner cards for dishnetwork HD((il)legal grey area if you have a DN sub) and another OTA HDTV card. I would have it in a nice cool basement. Then have a little small quiet PC in the theater room to stream the programming and sound from the monster.

Other forums state linux VDR (once up and running witch can be hard to do) is the most tivo like experience(turn on and watch).

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me in private mesage that my post is misleading. That far less processor is needed for 1080i. The configurations I have read about are running more software decoding an encrypted stream from DN. However that information is completely second hand and utterly untested by yours truly.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Clint DeBoer said:
I agreed in the past, but FINALLY some of the video cards are starting to get it right. Plus they are rolling out 72Hz "refresh" rates so instead of 2:3 you are getting 3:3 from native 24fps source material. This looks very good and eliminates most of the deinterlacing and jaggie issues.

I think as technologies continue to roll out like ViiV and CableCARD for the PC, we'll see a more 'practical' HTPC start to emerge.
Dear Clint,

I thought you would find this article interesting. It basically catches ATI lying about their cards being HDCP compliant. Nvidia is also implicated.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=851

It also explains the royalties and registration fees for DVI and HDMI.
My also explain why some choose to only provide DVI.

Have a great weekend!

"His and Her Room"

M

mike_on_g

Audiophyte
Expensive!

Thats a very expensive system @ $1600. I recently put a system together for a gift for $850m not including keyboard, mouse or monitor.

MB--> MSI RS482M4-ILD Socket 939, RAID 0/1, ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD, onboard Audio, SVideo Out, ethernet, etc.. ~ $75

HD --> 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive ~ $60

CPU --> AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 ~ $160

RAM--> 1.5 gig ( 1g + 512M) Crucial DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) ~ $160

MCE\TUNER--> Windows XP MCE 2005 (OEM), PVR-150MCE, MCE Remote, nVIDIA DVD Decoder ~ $219.95

Thermal Take CPU Coller --> ~ $50

DVD-RW --> ~ $70
CAse --> ~$40

* System boots very fast (RAM)
* decent audio
* Tuner has conexant chip, i.e., decoding via hardware not software
* overall performance good. Can always be better but at what cost?
* No system crashes to date ~ 1400 hrs

Cons:
* No ACC (MP4) Audio support by MCE
* Remote has some serious configuration problems, once it's setup it's okay, however it appears that if you modify the setup ,or (change the batteries ,third hand info) it craps out. SOunds like a EEPROM or Flash which I hav e personally seen with other gear in the past.

Suggestion - Do you your homework on the components, when working with MS operating systems saturate with RAM.

This was the 1st that I have put together HTPC.

The person uses the system as an HTPC with a SAMSUNG LN-268W LCD TV, PIP, very good picture and good price, SAMs ~$1000.

D

dropbear

Audioholic Intern
Refresh on projector...

In part 3, Chris mentions that he had to force a refresh of 56Hz. Anyone know what projector and model he is using?

DanielB

Audiophyte
Advice on HTMC and HDMI interface

hi all - new to site - posting from Australia.
I have a Nakamichi DV10 driving Whatmough speakers - very satisfying sound system.
Ive just bought a panasonic 50" plasma with HDMI and 15pin Dsub inputs

I am custom making a media centre, the basics are :-
Silvertone Case with 7" touchscreen
dual core 3.0Gig cpu
2gig ram
latest intel (945) board
2 x 250 gig HD in raid
2 x 16x dual layer DVD burners
Dual HDTV card - possibly fusion
7.1 card
Windows media
wireless keyboard ect.
+ more....

Can any one advise of the best HDTV card, video card, sound card.
Is the HDMI input on Plasma better than the 15pin Dsup connector?
Is there a video card that supports HDMI ?
Can I get the equivalent DVD quality as my Denon dvd3000
I'd appreciate any advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis