Building a Windows Media Center 2005 PC - Parts 1 & 2

Media Center is optimized to look good even on low resolution TVs and is best driven via a remote control - making it one of the ideal choices for use in HTPC operating systems. This is Part 1 of a set of articles summarizing Chris Tham's experience choosing the components and building a a custom-built Home Theatre PC running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (or "MCE2005" for short). Part 1 is an introduction, Part 2 shows a step by step pictorial guide to assembling the hardware, Part 3 details the software installation steps, and Part 4 contains some objective and subjective impressions of the result.

[Read Part 1 of the Article]

Last edited by a moderator:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I have a few bones to pick with the hardware decisions, namely the video card, processor, and consquently the associated motherboard.

In my experience of building computers and servicing them, Gigabyte makes TERRIBLE hardware. I've run into way too many incompatability and stability problems with Gigabyte stuff. I stay away from it. Thus, I think a different video card vendor should be chosen.

Secondly, I definitely disagree with the use of an Intel Processor. The newer Prescott cores run extremely hot, with the upper-end ones putting out around 100 watts in thermal dissipation. This is too much heat. Keep in mind that the processor is DUAL core, so it's going to be a veritable furnace inside your case. The AMD Athlon 64 processors have much better thermal performance, even in Dual Core configurations. Less thermal output means less cooling needs, which equates to less noise from the processor fan.

I also think that if a Zalman cooler is to be used, that it be the all-copper version. It doesn't take up any more room, and the additional cost is negligible for the increase in performance. A few degrees celsius might not seem like much, but it can make the difference between stable and crashing in a case where low noise is a goal.

Thirdly, the motherboard would have to change if the processor were to be an AMD. Abit makes excellent products, so I have no beef with that. If possible, one with a similar featureset but configured with a Socket 939 configuration would be great.

Other than that, the choices look good.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I have to agree with Jaxvon. In my experience Gigabit is junk. I'd even take something made by AOpen over Gigbit.

I'd make the video card an ATI All In Wonder as well. And upgrade the system memory to 2GB.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is that if you want to use a P4 to build a new box, you cannot get anything but a Prescott at the moment. Newegg doesn't have any Northwoods. The only place I found that still had a few Northwoods was zipzoomfly.com. I settled for a 2.66 Northwood because that's all I could get.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
:eek: Wow some of the posts here kinda got me going.

1: Gigabyte is a highly rated company, sure I prefer Asus but, its not your review either, some balls - you demand a different board that has already been aquired because of your bad experience.

2: That is not a Prescott core its a Pentium D 830 which is the Smithfield Core. This is a Dual Core CPU

3: Intel is the better choice for multimedia apps such as video heavy material. Most programs are HT optomized and MMX optomized as well.

4. nVidia added Video Accelaration at the hardware level for the NV43 core used in the Geforce 6600 series cards.

BTW I am CompTIA A+ Certified and former Site Admin of the late ModdersHQ.net so yeah I have the experience and the ability to back what I just said.

~Bob

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
1. I'm not the only one who has been screwed by Gigabyte and their products. I have friends and colleagues that have gotten shafted too. Not all of their products are junk, but I just stay away from them now as a general rule.

2. My bad.

3. Very true, I neglected to think about this.

4. I have no preference on the video core. In fact, from what I've seen right now, nVidia is the way to go with the mid-high-level video cards. Much more performance for the dollar. ATI all-in-wonder cards have flaky tuners and higher quality can be achieved with an add-on card.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
I can bet this setup works much better than the ones that I have seen so far...

I was at Staples/Business Depot about two months ago when I came across an HP Media Center PC playing Lord of the Rings: Return of King.

The unit kept pausing and stuttering every 30-45 sec. What a disappointment! I know there were probably several factors (dirty DVD disc, etc) but you expect more for a product that is suppose "Media Center" certified being demoed in the store.

No wonder ppl aren't driving in droves to the stores to pick one up and ditch their home DVD players in the garbage at home :rolleyes:

I'm gonna wait until I get myself an HDTV before I even consider a HTPC, hopefully by then the offerings/options will be more numerous and more mature.

Last edited:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Probably because they use the standalone WMP to play DVD which it just plain sucks at. I have WinDVD 7 and it rocks, WMP is a freenbie so don't expect much from it.

WMC IMO is a joke cause its Home Edition with the added Interface...whoopiiiiieeess. Hopefully Vista Media Centeer will be better.

I would love to see Apple offer a Mac Mini with:
1.25ghz G5
1GB DDR2 Ram
8x Superdrive
120GB HDD
Geforce 6600 128MB graphics
802.11b/g
Bluetooth 2.0edr

That with a modified version of OS 10.4 for HTPC use would rock the house and be powerfull enough to do some video editing/capturing, etc.

~Bob

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Khellandros66 said:
Probably because they use the standalone WMP to play DVD which it just plain sucks at. I have WinDVD 7 and it rocks, WMP is a freenbie so don't expect much from it.

WMC IMO is a joke cause its Home Edition with the added Interface...whoopiiiiieeess. Hopefully Vista Media Centeer will be better.

I would love to see Apple offer a Mac Mini with:
1.25ghz G5
1GB DDR2 Ram
8x Superdrive
120GB HDD
Geforce 6600 128MB graphics
802.11b/g
Bluetooth 2.0edr

That with a modified version of OS 10.4 for HTPC use would rock the house and be powerfull enough to do some video editing/capturing, etc.

~Bob
Thats funny, all that and it can't right click :rolleyes: :p

SheepStar (just messin, don't be hating on me)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Thats funny, all that and it can't right click :rolleyes: :p

SheepStar (just messin, don't be hating on me)
Actually, apple finally introduced a new 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel. It looks cool, but it's still as uncomfortable as always. The scroll button is way too small, and the way it senses clicking makes it utterly useless. F-- for Apple Engineering.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:
Actually, apple finally introduced a new 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel. It looks cool, but it's still as uncomfortable as always. The scroll button is way too small, and the way it senses clicking makes it utterly useless. F-- for Apple Engineering.
Thanks for RUINING my joke...:rolleyes:

SheepStar (just messing again, your right, bow bow bow)

F

Fred T.

Audiophyte
About the case

If you go to the link for the case and then under the Q&A link it specifically says this:

"The VFD/IR and remote control in the LC14M will work automatically with Windows MCE after the included software (on a CD) is installed. However, the LC14M does not support Microsoft’s MCE remote control."

So why does this guy put the Microsoft eHome remote in the parts list? I know next to nothing about HTPC thus far, would someone please enlighten me?

Thanks
Fred

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I just read part 2 and I'm fairly impressed with the exclusion of 1 thing...

Coarsair Memory + Gigabyte mobo = recipe for disaster. Seriously, I built a machine using this configuration, only to find out it would BSOD with more than a gig. Upon emailing Gigabyte, I was informed that Coarsair memory is not compatible with Gigabyte hardware, a little tidbit they fail to mention anywhere on their website. Granted, this was with an older Socket 478 processor and an Intel 865PE chipset, but I think it would still apply today. My recommendation is to skip the trouble and just go with Micron (Crucial) memory. They make an excellent, stable product that they truly stand behind.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I was tripped out that Arctic cooling products weren't used. Their stuff is incredible.

I have a system where only hte motherboard fan is audible (working ona fix for that...) it's not a HTPC, but a full-blown gamerig, no game is too potent for it...yet :p

Athlon 64 3500+ (yes, single core...dual core is not of enough value to be worth moving to yet)
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 heatsink
2gb ddr-400 ram (2 x1gb) running in dual-channel
dfi infitiy NF4-SLI motherboard
Geforce7800GT 256mb pci-express videocard
Arctic Cooling Silencer NV5 (rev 3)
antec Neopower 480w PSU
2 80mm antec stealth fans
lian-li PC-72 (SCA rack gutted, and peforated hex mesh screen added in place for added cooling)
1/4" sound damping foam added to all interior surfaces...excess fan ports were sealed off, bay covers had 1/2" sound damping added to all of them.

The computer is a freaking behemoth, being bigger than my endtable, but even with the obnoxious motherboard fan, it's still so quiet that most people think that it's still off.

....that said, I am still very dissappointed in the poor cooling that these HTPC cases offer...we need at least two 80mm fan holes above the connector plate of the motherboard, if not a single 120mm. I guess dual 60s are fine for just watching movies and PVR work, but it's far sexier to have a gaming PC attatched to that awesome home theater than just a vanilla PC.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
brian32672 said:
Way over-kill Sheep. You must remember this is a HTPC.
Being a HTPC-Why in the heck would you want WinXP Pro (Home would be fine for this app.)
(and would be 90.00 cheaper)
A64 3200 is overkill..
ATI 1800XT (now seriously, you know this is way overkill)(and expensive)
Also that SLI board?
A 74GB Raptor????
For a HTPC, needs much more space than 74GB.
Yes it is a fast drive, but with limited space (and highest cost per GB)
Also a quieter drive would be better.
And by chance, you know, I have a Raptor...
Also I am thinking of stepping up to the new 150GB Raptor x2 (in RAID 0).
The new Raptor is not as fast as the 74GB I have, but does offer more space.
EDIT:: (393.00 for that case?? I think this one for 119.00 and looks like a HK receiver)
http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc200.htm
I would play games, on my home theater. Thusly, the uber computer.

SheepStar

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Yep, if going through the trouble of making an HTPC, why not make it a gaming rig, and put those silly XBox 360s to shame with your superior processing and graphics power.

Actually, I just found out that i am stuck with the crappy chipset heatsink on this thing, and will have to mod the NV5 coolers like mad to get the second 7800GT I want in here....My plans are to buy a 30" Apple Cinema display sometime within the year, and have a truly drool-worthy HT/gaming setup in my living room.

As for the heatsink...I'm pretty picky, and for the noise level, it's very hard to beat the freezer pro...plus the mounting system is easy like sunday morning. on an a-64 x2 3800, it cools 2c better than the copper/aluminum Zalman cooler, and far quieter. Only downside is the rather tall design of it.

I guess which HTPC spec is right for a person all lies in if they game or not.

If you gamers want funny...I finally installed Arx Fatalis today...had the game laying around for years...it's actually pretty good....pity it looks like hell on a regular TV :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis