Building a home theatre in my basement

M

Muthira

Audiophyte
The anthem mrx 1120 Marantz sr8012 are very nice avr’s
Been looking at other receivers Denon 6500H and Marantz AV 7705.
Why do they call Marantz 7705 as preamp receiver? Does that mean I should invest in additional amplifier?
Both Denon 6400 and Marantz 7705 supports Dolby Atmos 7.1.4. I almost picked up 7705 but held off

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Been looking at other receivers Denon 6500H and Marantz AV 7705.
Why do they call Marantz 7705 as preamp receiver? Does that mean I should invest in additional amplifier?
Both Denon 6400 and Marantz 7705 supports Dolby Atmos 7.1.4. I almost picked up 7705 but held off
The Marantz is a preamp/processor, not a receiver. It has no amplification, so you'd need 11 channels worth of amplification from other sources (1 or more amps).

M

Muthira

Audiophyte
The Marantz is a preamp/processor, not a receiver. It has no amplification, so you'd need 11 channels worth of amplification from other sources (1 or more amps).
Thank you very much for clarifying .. phew!!
I’ll then go with Denon 6500H

M

Muthira

Audiophyte
I'm not really expecting content to shift to 7.1 in a big way. As physical media is on the decline (if you don't have one, you might want to get a Blu ray player while you still can fairly cheap) I don't expect the streaming services to offer much ramp up 7.1 content either. That said, you already have the speakers, so go for it!
I do have a 4K Samsung BD player when I got my Samsung 75” 4K HDR TV.

M

Muthira

Audiophyte
After a lot of thought I have decided to go with Denon 6400H.

6500H was not an option being $700 more expensive a newer model. Only addition I saw is that its IMAX enhanced.

Now with the subwoofers, please suggest what is a good option.
Two Klipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer which Im getting @ $199.95 each (total ~$400) or one SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer (Black Ash) – 10-inch Driver, 300-Watts RMS, Ported Cabinet @ $499.

My budget was $250. pushed it to max 500 winning some brownie points (wofe's approval), after reading a load of reviews on ported vs sealed and about SVS being the best and so on totally confusing me from my original 12 "Klipsch as the choice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis