Budget traveling speakers for laptop/ipod?

R

rclayton17

Audiophyte
Hey all, im a college student and i would like to get some speakers for use with my laptop and ipod (i don't need ipod specific speakers, however).

i don't want to spend to much, probably under $100, and i im trying to find something that wouldn't be too heavy in my suitcase.

With those limitations, i dont know how high my expectations can be. I don't have an amazing ear like most of you probably do, but i want something that is actually good.

thanks for your help.

UPDATE: here is link that i posted below:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6178&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav&p=1&sort=-price

Last edited:
M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I'm pretty happy with my SI-5 portable speakers $15-20 at target when I bought them. They are a bit larger than a double CD case, and are kind of off to set up (uses two cables, one for left to right speaker, and one for input), but the sound quality is reasonable, has no sweet spot whatsoever (one of the "benefits" of NXT flat panels), and gets prety loud for being a $20 or less speaker that runs off 4 AAAs.

It's not super sound quality though. If you want better sound quality, then look at the creative Travelsound, and find a way to set it above your laptop's display.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
If you want good sound quality while at the same stay portable, I would consider purchasing a pair of decent headphones.

I personally use Sennheiser PX-100 with my laptop. Cost me about $40.

During those times when I don't feel like having a pair of headphones on my head, I just make do with my laptop's internal speakers.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Klipsch 2.0 Ultra would probably be the best powered speakers you can find in that price range, 1" horn tweet and dual 2.5" mids.

R

rclayton17

Audiophyte
thanks for the ideas so far guys.

to clear things up a bit, they don't need to be ultra-portable. i just figure that i won't be able to carry a subwoofer around with me if i need to take them on a plane.

the klipsch 2.0's sounded like a good idea, but i have a $100 dell coupon and i have been looking at what they have. there is the saitek a-250 which looks like a possiblility or a 2.0 speaker set from creative.

or i could just forget the whole airplane thing and just get a nice 2.1 set. it's probably worth having good sound.

what looks best in the $100 range from dell? i could always just get something else from dell besides speakers.

UPDATED LINK (there are 3 pages):
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6178&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anav&p=1&sort=-price

Last edited:
WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
The JBL Creature II speakers are pretty nice sounding if you go the 2.1 route. They have a good mix of potability and sound quality. You can also find them much lower than the $100 MSRP online.

Click ^^

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
On that page, the Creative GigaWorks T20 (2.0) looks like the best bet ($94). It's tilted upwards (which is good, since small speakers have poor dispersion, so the speakers need to be pointed at your ears for optimal quality), and actually has seperate midrange and tweeters (the placement of the tweeter also is very clever, better to reach your ears at that angle).

It looks like another good set to add to the "$100 2.0 suggestions" which I generally have the Klipsch 2.0 and Altec Lansing MX5020 as the prime suspects.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis