Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A British colleague at work has recently filled me in about a political maneuver known as the 'Dead Cat Tactic'. Originally attributed to Lynton Crosby of Australia, it involves making a deliberate insult or outrageously false diversion during a political campaign. It's the verbal equivalent of throwing a dead cat on the table. People will be outraged, disgusted, or amused, but the key point is that everyone will shout, "Look, there's a dead cat on the table!" Any other subject is forgotten.

Perhaps Boris Johnson will prove adept at something other than throwing Deceased Felines (with a nod to John Cleese and the Dead Parrot bit :D).

An American political candidate (whose name is a 4-letter word) has adopted this practice from the Australians and British.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A British colleague at work has recently filled me in about a political maneuver known as the 'Dead Cat Tactic'. Originally attributed to Lynton Crosby of Australia, it involves making a deliberate insult or outrageously false diversion during a political campaign. It's the verbal equivalent of throwing a dead cat on the table. People will be outraged, disgusted, or amused, but the key point is that everyone will shout, "Look, there's a dead cat on the table!" Any other subject is forgotten.

Perhaps Boris Johnson will prove adept at something other than throwing Deceased Felines (with a nod to John Cleese and the Dead Parrot bit :D).

An American political candidate (whose name is a 4-letter word) has adopted this practice from the Australians and British.
Lyndon Johnson I think gets the credit for that tactic when he was in a tight senate race. He asked his aids to put it about that his opponent screwed sheep. They said, "But sir he does not screw sheep." To which Lyndon Johnson replied, "I know. Just let him have to say he does not screw sheep!"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Lyndon Johnson I think gets the credit for that tactic when he was in a tight senate race. He asked his aids to put it about that his opponent screwed sheep. They said, "But sir he does not screw sheep." To which Lyndon Johnson replied, "I know. Just let him have to say he does not screw sheep!"
It probably goes back much earlier than that, as in asking a candidate, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

I'd much rather attach a video clip of John Cleese and the dead parrot. I didn't dare search for a clip about screwing sheep.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Apparently the military thought Edrogan was a tool too as a military coup is in progress. His plane has been refused landing rights and supposedly he's looking for asylum in Germany.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Apparently the military thought Edrogan was a tool too as a military coup is in progress. His plane has been refused landing rights and supposedly he's looking for asylum in Germany.
Reliable sources in the UK, BBC, Reuters and Telegraph, say the coup appears to be crumbling. Erdogan has returned to Istanbul. It s not over and fighting continues. However the tide at this time seems to be turning against the rebels.

It seems this coup is associated with forces against the Islamic tendencies of Erdogan and pro Basher Assad in Syria. It seems to me that this latter would make it a potential ally of Russia, and pose a potentially serious issue for NATO. That probably explains the vigorous pro Erdogan statement from the State department.

Very little comment from BOJO as of yet, just "housekeeping" statements. He is certainly a significant student of affairs in that part of the world.

Theresa May in her first speech, cautioned about "events" that can cause changes of plan.

That is in line with the the famous admonition of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan (Super Mac) to a younger colleague so certain of future plans. Super Mac's admonition: - "Events Dear Boy, Events!"

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Seems you're right. Now we'll see how a democratically elected President continues to embrace democratic ideals.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seems you're right. Now we'll see how a democratically elected President continues to embrace democratic ideals.
He won't and the Western democracies will be force to keep the charade going.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Did the people and other military leaders really prefer a more Islamist government as opposed to secular..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did the people and other military leaders really prefer a more Islamist government as opposed to secular..
That is a very good question. I suspect the answer may well be yes. Radical Islam is far more entrenched and prevalent than our leaders will let on. It seems the Nice plot was not a lobe wolf. Five ore arrests today and ISIL claim responsibility.

Just saying it is a few will not cut it any longer, even among those in out own communities. Surveys of people at least supportive of radical Islam in the UK is of great concern, and I bet it is worse in France.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

After he cleans house not just in the military but now he can invoke involvement from other branches like in the judiciary, he will not have anyone to push him to a secular democracy, or any democracy.

He did say "this is a gift from God." Now the cleansing begins.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
So, I'm thinking about this coup and reflecting back on the past few months about events that have occurred in Turkey. And what I keep coming back to is how everything that has happened was just so convenient. In many ways I see parallels with the movie, V for Vendetta where a government orchestrates a series of events which essentially puts them into totalitarian power. Let me explain.

There have been several terrorist attacks and with astonishing rapidity they were identified as ISIS, some Kurd faction, or whatever. ISIS will take credit for anything so long as someone somewhere says they did it and why not? Erdogan has been looking to strengthen his grip, shutting down opposition whether from the press or opposition political parties. I just think that it wouldn't surprise me if he had a hand in the terrorist attacks. Some people die? Like he really cares.

Now they say about 3,000 military have been arrested. That's a pretty small number. Double it and it's still small. From what I'm reading, there weren't a lot of generals, colonels, and other high ranking officers involved. So this coup didn't have a lot of support from within in actuality. I couldn't say who orchestrated it but certainly his publicized out of country vacation was a good time to carry it out.

What a great time to purge yourself of contrary military personnel, judges, arrest some people, hit the Kurds in Iraq and elsewhere.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm glad to report, that Boris Johnson is still writing as a journalist for the Daily Telegraph following his appointment as Foreign Secretary.

His first article since his appointment gives a view inside his ministry, and more besides.

The West has a huge problem now with the failed coup in Turkey, and the what can now only be described as a Muslim insurgency in France.

After this last attack there are now rallies with lots of warm fuzzies with Muslims like previously, in fact rather the reverse. Marie Le Pen and her national front will cease the moment.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm glad to report, that Boris Johnson is still writing as a journalist for the Daily Telegraph following his appointment as Foreign Secretary.

His first article since his appointment gives a view inside his ministry, and more besides.

The West has a huge problem now with the failed coup in Turkey, and the what can now only be described as a Muslim insurgency in France.

After this last attack there are now rallies with lots of warm fuzzies with Muslims like previously, in fact rather the reverse. Marie Le Pen and her national front will cease the moment.
I'm having a hard time understanding how and why people in the 21st Century would accept a shift in the way they live that's clearly moving away from anything that could be considered 'civilized'. Another so-called 'honor killing' in Pakistan, people driven over and shot in France, new revelations of government cover-up about be-headings, torture, sexual abuse and mutilation in the Bataclan killings.

Why is anyone accepting this? I don't want to propose that people take the problem into their own hands, but when the governments won't call it what it is and deal with it in effective ways, I think we'll be seeing more of the same kinds of incidents that occurred after 911- killings of people who have nothing to do with the problem (like the Sikh clerk at a Phoenix convenience store), an attack in the last 5 years on a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI (about 12 miles from where I live)- it's because of rage & ignorance that these people died.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
The mutilations in the Bataclan killings are uncorroborated according to Snopes. That doesn't make what occurred any better. Nor does it mean that ISIS in Iraq and Syria doesn't look for creative ways to kill and mutilate bodies.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Radical Islam is far more entrenched and prevalent than our leaders will let on.
Agree. The question is what strategy, with which both conservatives and liberals agree, can we use to address it? Even more fundamental, what would be our goal in addressing it? If we can agree on a goal, we should be able to negotiate a strategy among ourselves. Today, it doesn't seem we can agree on a goal.

highfigh

highfigh

Agree. The question is what strategy, with which both conservatives and liberals agree, can we use to address it? Even more fundamental, what would be our goal in addressing it? If we can agree on a goal, we should be able to negotiate a strategy among ourselves. Today, it doesn't seem we can agree on a goal.
When the extremes of the equation are "Kill it!" and "Let's give them a hug, so they know we love them", agreement isn't going to come easily. It's not possible to kill them with kindness, either.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
This struck a chord. Living in Tennessee, I feel it doesn't matter who I vote for…
Stay tuned, and be sure to vote this November. You might see some major changes occur.
-_-

I voted. Once again, my vote didn't count. Murica defeated the US. Furthermore, the rednecks looking to "drain the swamp" proceeded to re-elect the establishment incumbents and allowed both wings of Congress to remain in Republican control. How does that even make sense? And how does the base who has long suffered from stagnant wages and a feeling of having no real voice in the direction of the country elect the party of trickle-down economics, obstructionism, and gerrymandering?

All I can say is the GOP propaganda machine -- conservative talk radio, Fox News, right-wing conspiracy nuts in social media, etc. are profoundly better at what they do than the Democrats.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree. I've been puzzled by the polls with the majority of Americans being upset with the state of affairs and yet POTUS has high approval ratings and as you mentioned incumbents winning percentage is higher then attitudes should reflect

-_-

I voted. Once again, my vote didn't count. Murica defeated the US. Furthermore, the rednecks looking to "drain the swamp" proceeded to re-elect the establishment incumbents and allowed both wings of Congress to remain in Republican control. How does that even make sense? And how does the base who has long suffered from stagnant wages and a feeling of having no real voice in the direction of the country elect the party of trickle-down economics, obstructionism, and gerrymandering? I just don't get it.

All I can say is the GOP propaganda machine -- conservative talk radio, Fox News, right-wing conspiracy nuts in social media, etc. are profoundly better at what they do than the Democrats.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I guess this is what happens when we all live in our own echo chamber. May god have mercy on our souls; whoever the feck he or she is.

For the first time since I've arrived in this country in '62 I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I’ve watched as the far right and the alt. right grew in this country and just assumed it was an aberration since the "facts" would win out. I was wrong. More fool I.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis