Bowers & Wilkins 50th Anniversary and 800 D3 Speakers Unveiled

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I am sure they will sound different, I never said all speakers sound the same, I don't even say that measurements are the end-all be-all.

But the thing is there has to be some way to narrow down choices before you audition, no one has the time/money to audition every speaker they want and even if you could, auditory memory is a joke unless you can compare side by side which is again impossible.

Say I want to buy a car - I can look at my budget, desires (speed/luxury/size etc), look at objective data for each of these and then make a list of cars to test drive, then choose what I liked best.

With speakers, besides price, these is ZERO guidance. Wildly different designs/sizes/prices all claim the 'best sound' with zero reasoning given except 'you must hear it'. That is why there has to be some way for a consumer to make a choice - and that something is measurements and data.

This is how pro-audio works, the buyers and sellers both buy based on the performance they need. Audio is made out to be some mystical voodoo where you can only appreciate music in your own home with specific equipment and a glass of wine :) But it really isn't - its well known science that's been understood for decades. There's no mystery being unlocked by some special speaker/amp design that no one else understands.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I am sure they will sound different, I never said all speakers sound the same, I don't even say that measurements are the end-all be-all.

But the thing is there has to be some way to narrow down choices before you audition, no one has the time/money to audition every speaker they want and even if you could, auditory memory is a joke unless you can compare side by side which is again impossible.

Say I want to buy a car - I can look at my budget, desires (speed/luxury/size etc), look at objective data for each of these and then make a list of cars to test drive, then choose what I liked best.

With speakers, besides price, these is ZERO guidance. Wildly different designs/sizes/prices all claim the 'best sound' with zero reasoning given except 'you must hear it'. That is why there has to be some way for a consumer to make a choice - and that something is measurements and data.

This is how pro-audio works, the buyers and sellers both buy based on the performance they need. Audio is made out to be some mystical voodoo where you can only appreciate music in your own home with specific equipment and a glass of wine :) But it really isn't - its well known science that's been understood for decades. There's no mystery being unlocked by some special speaker/amp design that no one else understands.
I don’t think our understanding of human hearing or speaker design/construction falls into the same category as something like class A/B amplification.

Keep in mind that you are speaking to a person that is using a 36 year old fully restored class A/B amplifier. I believe in science and measurements and the fact that class A/B amplification has not advanced as much as we are led to believe. Measuring devices help me confirm that my amp can run an almost perfect square wave up to and beyond 40kHz. What you feed it is what you get. A fast amp with a high bandwidth. My ears are what confirm that the amplifier sounds exceptional. Goosebumps- exceptional. I am definitely not one who drinks the Kool Aid and believes that newer is always better or that more expensive equates to better. Especially when it comes to class A/B amplification.

But with speakers IMO it’s a very different story. There are very few speakers from 1980 that can go toe to toe with a modern speaker. Especially in the stand-mount/bookshelf category. I’m not going to brag by mentioning what models have been through my house because that’s not going to sway anybody. I currently only have 5 sets of speakers here but I’ve had up to 8 or 9 at the same time. So what?

Speaker technology is an area where real advances are being made. With speakers it gets very tricky. As for measurements, we have seen that measurement methods and accuracy of measurements can vary greatly. It's not as simple as plugging an amp into a machine and seeing what the signal is doing. There are many, many more variables at play - air, room, space, mics, speaker placement, etc., etc., etc.

Speaker design is a mixture of Art & Science. A speaker designer can strive for a flat response and come very close to achieving it by relying solely on measuring devices but what about something like imaging or spatial cues? How does he measure for that to determine that those are being conveyed properly?

Anyone who can't hear differences in things like imaging, focus, transparency, naturalness, smearing, sound-stage , decay, driver compression, congestion, veiling, resonances, spatial cues, speed, etc. between two different speakers that both supposedly measure reasonably flat is not listening closely enough or just doesn’t care.

Pick any two relatively “flat” measuring speakers of your choosing and odds are that while the tonality may be very similar, the aspects I mentioned above (and others) will vary immensely. Anyone who tells you differently is misleading you.

Maybe the disconnect here is that I’m strictly a two channel guy that listens to music in the sweet spot. I rely on just two speakers to paint the whole picture. If one is primarily listening to a multi-channel set-up it’s possible that some of the things I critically listen for that are very important and pleasurable to me would not be as important to that individual. So far, the 800 Series checks all the right boxes for me.

I hate “audiophile” terms as much as the next guy but sometimes you have to use words to express what you hear. Here are some of the ones I listed for reference, not all “flat” speakers are equal in these areas.

Imaging - The sense that a voice or instrument is in a particular place in the room.

Focus - A strong, precise sense of image projection.

Transparent - Easy to hear into the music, detailed, clear, not muddy. Wide flat frequency response, sharp time response, very low distortion and noise. A hear through quality that is akin to clarity and reveals all aspects of detail.

Naturalness - Realism.

Smeared - Lacking detail. Poor transient response, too much leakage between microphones. Poorly focused images.

Soundstage
- The area between two speakers that appears to the listener to be occupied by sonic images. Like a real stage, a soundstage should have width, depth, and height.

Decay - The fadeout of a note, it follows the attack.

Congested- Smeared, confused, muddy, and flat; lacking transparency.

Speed - A fast system with good pace gives the impression of being right on the money in its timing.

Veiled - Like a silk veil is over the speakers. Slight noise or distortion or slightly weak high frequencies. Loss of detail due to limited transparency.

These are some of the things I listen for that to ME make the Bowers & Wilkins 805D2’s an exceptional speaker. I have auditioned the 805D3’s a few times at the retailer and to my ears, they outdid everything else in his room.

Keep up the great work Bowers & Wilkins!

Last edited:
D

Defcon

Audioholic
The simple truth is a speaker is just an enclosure, drivers, and crossover circuit. Some designs may not have a crossover or have active amplification, and the number of drivers can differ.

But at the end of the day it is fed an input signal and outputs a waveform that can be measured accurately in time, distance and shape.

That's really ALL there is to it. All the attributes that you mentioned that we use to describe audio can be derived from the simple data, there really is no magic going on and there is nothing intangible.

If 2 speakers measure the same but the listener perceives they sound different, then there are only 2 explanations -

1. insufficient data has been measured or data has not been looked at
2. listener is wrong due to bias

Blind testing is used to eliminate 2. You haven't really said what your thought are on that. But really if something sounds different its because it is different. And that can be shown in measurements, and then we try to improve what's lacking.

Its the only way anything has ever been made better in human history - this is how the entire science of speakers advanced when Dr. Toole did his research and made it available for free to all. Audio is not voodoo black magic accessible to boutique speaker designers only.

"Speaker design is a mixture of Art & Science. A speaker designer can strive for a flat response and come very close to achieving it by relying solely on measuring devices but what about something like imaging or spatial cues? How does he measure for that to determine that those are being conveyed properly?"

I disagree, what you call Art is also science. Flat response isn't the only metric, there are many others - impedance, on/off axis, directivity - all of which affects all the things you mentioned. Everything can be measured. Otherwise its all a game of trial and error and luck? What is better in the B&W 803, or indeed any other speaker? Can they say why it sounds better?

But in the end we are all human and if we believe something sounds better, our brain will actually make it so - perception is often stronger than reality !!

I'd love the chance to hear these speakers but would never be able to own them. So lets all enjoy this hobby :D

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Please don't take this in a bad way but I think you need to put the textbook down and go out there and listen a bit more and you will have a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

Even Dr. Toole understands that the "rules" of psychoacoustics are- in his words "ever expanding". I saw a presentation where he pointed out that if we were to measure an orchestra in a concert hall, it would measure horribly. Yet if you sat in the same seat where the measuring devices were placed what you hear would be considered reference quality. Food for thought.

As Dr. Toole himself says, "Clearly, one must pay close attention to both the objective and subjective forms of product evaluation, because there is still more to learn".

Here are John Atkinson's "Golden Rules" as presented at RMAF pertaining to measurements (some we've agreed upon in this thread, some we haven't):
  • No one measurement tells the whole story. What you hear always depends on more than one measurement.
  • Performing a measurement involves subjective choices.
  • All measurements tell lies.
  • Measurements can tell you how a speaker sounds- they don't tell you how good it sounds! The educated ear is the only reliable judge of quality.
  • No matter how good the measurement, if you don't enjoy the music something is wrong.
Here's another great line I read right here on Audioholics:
  • Not everything that matters can be measured and not everything that can be measured matters.
It seems that Bowers & Wilkins has already figured that one out.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Are there slow amps ? :eek:

Well, since you put it that way I guess that anything that is not as fast as faster or fastest is considered slow or slower. Don't you remember that concept? In my mind if an amp isn't DC-500,000 Hz with a slew rate of +/-260 V/usec it's slower than the fast amp I'm talking about, wouldn't you agree? ;) I merely said the amp was fast, very fast as a matter of fact.

As I'm sure you know slew rate has to do with bandwidth and the amps ability to follow the input at higher frequencies. Here' a nice unit from Benchmark that also espouses the benefits of high bandwidth.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier?variant=585555021

We can discuss that kind of stuff in another thread but for now, let's get back to the topic at hand. I bet that Benchmark AHB2 would be a great match for the Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series especially since those Diamond tweeters have such a high break-up frequency.

Last edited:
S

sleepyhead

Audioholic Intern
Out of curiosity, I walked by an AV shop down the road from where I live (at about 1am), and they had 803 D3 in the window. I was stunned at the price.
Talk about overcharging.
IMG_20160719_232251-1600x1197.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's B&W pricing alright.

My 802 D2 brand new cost me $12K cash ($15K MSRP). Seems like a great deal compared to the D3s. :D

Of course, the D3s will sound tons better. Just like how the D4 will sound tons better than the D3 in about 3 years. And the D5 will sound tons better than the D4 a few years later. The 800 D3 will sound really bad by the time the 800 D6 comes out. People will have no choice but to upgrade their speakers every 3 years just to make sure their speakers sound good. :D ;)

Some people will buy.

Last edited:
Patrick Butler

Patrick Butler

Junior Audioholic
Hi Defcon,

There isn't a new direction per se, but rather the desire to integrate new capabilities. It should be said that products like our Zeppelin Wireless already incorporate features such as Spotify Connect, so we were already headed in this direction.

At then end of the day, whether you are in the business of making loudspeakers that can connect with the cloud or just producing traditional loudspeakers, everything begins with understanding how to engineer a loudspeaker. After 50 years, we've got a pretty good handle on that as embodied by the current 800 Series range of products. There are no plans to abandon the solid business generated by 600, CM, or 800 Series and replace them with Sonos style products, which are not particularly profitable.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

This is probably known to everyone here, I just found out -
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-03/speaker-maker-bowers-wilkins-sells-out-to-a-tiny-silicon-valley-startup

So I wonder if B&W will continue making the same type of products - the new direction seems to be cloud connected personal audio, not flagship speakers for audiophiles.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Hi Defcon,

There isn't a new direction per se, but rather the desire to integrate new capabilities. It should be said that products like our Zeppelin Wireless already incorporate features such as Spotify Connect, so we were already headed in this direction.

At then end of the day, whether you are in the business of making loudspeakers that can connect with the cloud or just producing traditional loudspeakers, everything begins with understanding how to engineer a loudspeaker. After 50 years, we've got a pretty good handle on that as embodied by the current 800 Series range of products. There are no plans to abandon the solid business generated by 600, CM, or 800 Series and replace them with Sonos style products, which are not particularly profitable.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Thanks. While I am not a potential customer (out of my budget) it is essential we have the higher end segment so this is good to hear. There are always concerns when ownership changes, wish everyone the best.

S

sleepyhead

Audioholic Intern

My 802 D2 brand new cost me $12K cash ($15K MSRP). Seems like a great deal compared to the D3s. :D

Of course, the D3s will sound tons better. Just like how the D4 will sound tons better than the D3 in about 3 years. And the D5 will sound tons better than the D4 a few years later. The 800 D3 will sound really bad by the time the 800 D6 comes out. People will have no choice but to upgrade their speakers every 3 years just to make sure their speakers sound good. :D ;)

Some people will buy.
I was more surprised at the Japanese mark up more than anything. Taking the UK msrp of £12500 or so, converting to yen, and it's around ¥1.7-1.8m. Where does the extra ¥1,000,000 come into it? I'm sure B&W don't just up the price to their oversea dealers....do they?! :confused:o_O:eek::D

P.S. I went back to the shop when they were open to see if I could get a demo. They basically laughed me out the shop. Ripped jeans and a sweaty old T-shirt will do that for you. :p

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic

Some people will buy.
Geez, give it a break, it's getting old. It's beginning to sound like a case of sour grapes. Did B&W slight you in some way? Did you lose distribution rights or something?

How come I don't see you constantly bashing Monitor Audio (which you prominently display in your signature)?

Regarding their new PL II line, Monitor Audio states - "How far we’ve come can be measured by the sound of Platinum II: the most accurate and beautiful loudspeakers Monitor Audio has ever made." BTW, the PL100 II stand-mounts are priced at $5,795, practically the same retail as the 805D3's. Isn't this exactly the same thing you're railing against?

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
800 Series

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Hi Patrick,

Can you elaborate on the 800D3's ability to play down to 15hz?

How loudly can the 800D3 play (1 meter ) before the woofer xmax is reached?

Patrick Butler

Patrick Butler

Junior Audioholic
Hi monkish54,

I'll reach out to my colleagues in the UK to see if they can elaborate on that spec further.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Hi Patrick,

Can you elaborate on the 800D3's ability to play down to 15hz?

How loudly can the 800D3 play (1 meter ) before the woofer xmax is reached?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis