Bose: Legit Audio Company or Slick Marketing?

How do you View Bose?

• Real Audio Company

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Marketing Company

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Crapola

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... If you have to have an equalizer for your top of the line offering, the 901 series, then you really screwed up on the fundamentals of your speaker design.
You should check one of Harman's active speaker that uses it to an amazing outcome. Name escapes me but could be the M-2?

B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
I should mention, i don't think the first series of 901's had the equalizer. I'm pretty sure it was an afterthought which is more indication it wasn't part of the original design intent and was used to compensate for shoddy design.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Don't forget, they also demonstrated automobile electromagnetic shock absorbers. The videos I saw was impressive.

I guess the car companies are not using them, yet.
Yeah I saw that. They spun that off into its own company I believe. There are actually a few companies with some kind of adaptive active suspension that is supposed to minimize disturbances over potholes in a similar way. The new BMW 3 series (2019) and the Mercedes s Class. I’ve wondered if the technology is either licensed from Bose or a copy. The new BMW even makes mention of connection the struts together such that the fluid from one can go to the other. I believe only side to side and not front to back. I haven’t seen many details so I don’t know how it works or who makes it.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I should mention, i don't think the first series of 901's had the equalizer. I'm pretty sure it was an afterthought which is more indication it wasn't part of the original design intent and was used to compensate for shoddy design.
I thought all generations had the equalizer. What makes you think otherwise?

All good speakers are equalized. Passive speakers include trap filters in the crossover to flatten the response. Active speakers simply apply it in the amplifier. It’s the better way to do it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I saw that. They spun that off into its own company I believe. There are actually a few companies with some kind of adaptive active suspension that is supposed to minimize disturbances over potholes in a similar way. The new BMW 3 series (2019) and the Mercedes s Class. I’ve wondered if the technology is either licensed from Bose or a copy. The new BMW even makes mention of connection the struts together such that the fluid from one can go to the other. I believe only side to side and not front to back. I haven’t seen many details so I don’t know how it works or who makes it.
On a bit more budget front Honda Accord 2018 Touring (only) has active shocks. I test drove it and the ride is very good. Stupidly I decided to save $40-50 a month on lease and went with cheaper EX-L trim which has a fairly firm ride.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
On a bit more budget front Honda Accord 2018 Touring (only) has active shocks. I test drove it and the ride is very good. Stupidly I decided to save $40-50 a month on lease and went with cheaper EX-L trim which has a fairly firm ride.
I’ve been reading a lot of great things about that new accord. I’m actually looking to get a new car and I want a certain German premium sport sedan. It’s hard to look at spending so much when some of these more economical sedans have gotten so good.

It’s also pretty cool that active suspensions have started to trickle down.

B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
I thought all generations had the equalizer. What makes you think otherwise?

All good speakers are equalized. Passive speakers include trap filters in the crossover to flatten the response. Active speakers simply apply it in the amplifier. It’s the better way to do it.
Memory. I recalled they added the seperate equalizer in one of the later series. Could be wrong but my ling term memory is still pretty good.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Memory. I recalled they added the seperate equalizer in one of the later series. Could be wrong but my ling term memory is still pretty good.
Nope. Wrong. The basic design doesn’t work without the equalizer.

B

beginjapan!

Audioholic Intern
Nope. Wrong. The basic design doesn’t work without the equalizer.
And a simple check on the web confirms you are correct. Still, i think the eq is a sign of an inherent deficiency in the design.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I’ve been reading a lot of great things about that new accord. I’m actually looking to get a new car and I want a certain German premium sport sedan. It’s hard to look at spending so much when some of these more economical sedans have gotten so good.

I drove the new Accord while my wife's van was being serviced. It's a nice competent car but don't let anyone try to convince you a Honda has even close to the driving dynamics of a BMW. My M240i makes the Accord seem like you're driving a slow, clunky minivan in comparison. Now if you don't care about handling and acceleration, the Accord is a good fuel efficient car with lots of toys in it. The audio system sucked but that's another story.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This article is thinly veiled attempt to enrage the community and artificially increase the traffic and discussions.

Tightly controlled is an understatement of the year. The author had mentioned severe restrictions on Bose product demos but completely and utterly failed to provide the real reasons to why.
These demos were rigged to such unfair levels as even using custom equalized CD tracks which would only sound good on Bose system.
In some cases, there were entire racks full of very expensive electronics completely hidden from punter view which only sees the tiny boxes.
Don't have time to write more but here's a great read:
http://nyet.org/bose/
Actually this article was written by a Bose insider that offers some unique perspective you won't find anywhere else. I don't agree with all the points but IMO, the diversity of opinion and perspective is what makes Audioholics a unique publication. And yes, the traffic and engagement is excellent per design. Anything about Bose and cables elicits a response. We could use the brief traffic surge after Google has devastated SEO on audio websites like ours with all of their lame and mystic Algo changes.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I actually have an AM-5 II Acoustimas system in my family room. My dad has it setup in his sun room since 1990 and when he moved he gave it to me. @shadyJ and I plan to torture it one of these days by taking it outside and measuring it.

As noted by many, Bose did some really important work in the development of miniature drivers, noise canceling, transmission line modeling, etc. the products are life style products and they are good for what they are.

Having that Bose system actually surprised quite a few people who know my passion for sound and the fact that I run an acoustics consulting company and write for/work for online forums/magazines. I think it adds more drama when they see a 10 year old Plasma tv mounted on a wall with Bose cubes on either side and then walk into the Blue Room.
I'd love to see some measurements on that system and publish them as well. Not sure why you would keep it going while there are so many better viable alternatives that don't take up much more space. Even Orb Audio would be a big upgrade IMO.

The 10yo Plasma is a keeper. I still use my 1080p THX 42" Panasonic Plasma in my bedroom system and love the picture quality.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I'd love to see some measurements on that system and publish them as well. Not sure why you would keep it going while there are so many better viable alternatives that don't take up much more space. Even Orb Audio would be a big upgrade IMO.

The 10yo Plasma is a keeper. I still use my 1080p THX 42" Panasonic Plasma in my bedroom system and love the picture quality.
Hey Gene,

I keep it because it was free, my wife seems to like it, and I have enough nice speakers in and out of the house to keep me happy. But yes, near anything is better. In fact, I have a Sonos One that was sent to me as part of a larger review and it sounds surprisingly good for its size. It’s as good and bass is as deep as the Bose in a similar small size. A pair of them is cheap when you consider that it’s a complete system.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This article is thinly veiled attempt to enrage the community and artificially increase the traffic and discussions.
You say that like its a bad thing? ;)

In my opinion, the piece is a very level headed take on Bose. Bose is fine for their target audience who aren't looking for, don't need, and wouldn't appreciate the kind of fine points that audiophiles look for in their sound system. A lot of the audio industry is envious of the popularity that Bose and it colors their view, but Bose isn't about high fidelity, just a certain acceptable level of sound quality. Bose gives people what they want. If high end brands aren't catering to what people really want (re. not pristine sound quality, not many people really care about that), then it's on them, not Bose.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member

Also I’ll write you separately about the Measurements. We had been talking about it for a while. Need to just find a dry day.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I drove the new Accord while my wife's van was being serviced. It's a nice competent car but don't let anyone try to convince you a Honda has even close to the driving dynamics of a BMW. My M240i makes the Accord seem like you're driving a slow, clunky minivan in comparison. Now if you don't care about handling and acceleration, the Accord is a good fuel efficient car with lots of toys in it. The audio system sucked but that's another story.
That is a bit ironic. My dad has a M240i and X30 M40i. I was thinking of getting the M240i coup as it would be a second car. I’m just not sure if I can live with such a small car as my main car. I plan to testdrive it with a car seat to see. I do care about handling and acceleration which is why I’ve been looking.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In my opinion, the piece is a very level headed take on Bose. Bose is fine for their target audience who aren't looking for, don't need, and wouldn't appreciate the kind of fine points that audiophiles look for in their sound system. A lot of the audio industry is envious of the popularity that Bose and it colors their view, but Bose isn't about high fidelity, just a certain acceptable level of sound quality. Bose gives people what they want. If high end brands aren't catering to what people really want (re. not pristine sound quality, not many people really care about that),then it's on them, not Bose.
I disagree. IMO Author's view is heavily slanted. Several lies by omission and incomplete details.
As for the Bose target audience, there are actually two separate ones. One is what we perceive - WAF/less experienced/Lifestyle crowd but with somewhat deep wallets, and there is actual Bose target audience - basically they clearly to me (from an outsider view, if it's possible) as top range Hi-Fi system, definitely meant to replace the "large" speakers from living room, clearly targeting people who decide and look for hi-end, audiophile audio. Just look at their TV ads. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. God knows I've met dozens of people fooled by the brand and the promise to deliver high-quality sound for premium cost.
It's an interesting opinion and M240i series tiny coupe which is far smaller and more expensive than even top-tier Accord makes is apples and oranges. I wasn't looking for a tiny sporty lifestyle car, but a practical, but a fun car at a specific budget in mind and my research were on the dot. Accord is all that and more.
BTW: Accord 2.0T (which is one I got) is faster than current BMW 528i [any trims]. Don't know if your wife picked Accord 2.0T Touring, and if it's a different trim then again - it's not relevant. I also disagree with you on the audio system. My Accord 2018 premium audio system doesn't suck, nor in UI or speaker quality in comparison to the premium tier Harman sound in my other car.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Sure. Accord is not what I call a sports car, but it's the heart (at 2.0T trim) is the same engine which powers highly sought after Civic Type R. Yes, it's detuned from 300hp to about 250hp and accord is larger and heavier than Civic, but if you need roomy sedan - there's nothing nearly as practical and fun at this price point.
Take an Accord 2.0T Touring for a test drive and judge yourself. One thing I guarantee you - it'll be cheaper to own and by MUCH.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
... there is actual Bose target audience - basically they clearly to me (from an outsider view, if it's possible) as top range Hi-Fi system, definitely meant to replace the "large" speakers from living room, clearly targeting people who decide and look for hi-end, audiophile audio. Just look at their TV ads. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. God knows I've met dozens of people fooled by the brand and the promise to deliver high-quality sound for premium cost.
I just don't agree with this, because anyone who is serious about acquiring a real high fidelity audio system is going to do a bit of home work, and anyone who does do their homework in audio isn't going to end up with a Bose system if they are after high fidelity sound. I think the people you are referring to here still don't care about the sound that much, even if they profess that they do. After all, if you actually cared about getting a good product of a certain category, whether that be audio or any other type, wouldn't you at least do a bit of research first? Anyone who doesn't do not actually care that much.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just don't agree with this, because anyone who is serious about acquiring a real high fidelity audio system is going to do a bit of home work, and anyone who does do their homework in audio isn't going to end up with a Bose system if they are after high fidelity sound. I think the people you are referring to here still don't care about the sound that much, even if they profess that they do. After all, if you actually cared about getting a good product of a certain category, whether that be audio or any other type, wouldn't you at least do a bit of research first? Anyone who doesn't do not actually care that much.
In my opinion, this miniaturization of speakers is a WAF issue some have and Bose is there to cash in.

I think it is far less common for people to actually believe Bose systems sound superior to full size speakers, but some people might. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis