Bose Killers for Every Budget – a Series

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I did demo the prototype and posted it - maybe you were moving some speakers
around, looking for the so-called perfect spot! :)
Probably, lol... link please? I am super curious now..

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited by a moderator:
S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
People that buy Bose don't want the big footprint of speakers, sub, and some kind of audio rack. They don't want to know how to set up room correction correctly and proper speaker placement. They want to plug in their phone and hear music without having to get a firmware update for their equipment. The base of knowledge we have and take for granted is quite foreign to the typical non-audio person.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you made a speaker with a tweeter or woofer you'd have a Bose one.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Next, we’ll tackle their least expensive 5.1 surround sound system – the Lifestyle 525 Series II.

1. The Lifestyle 525 Series II at $2500 includes a set of 5 small satellite speakers that Bose calls Jewelcubes, one of Bose’s Acoustimass modules, their AV receiver with 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, an AdaptIQ calibration microphone and headset, a remote control and remote sensor. This is one of 2 Bose systems that can connect via HDMI, but features no blu-ray playback. You’ll have to bring your own player.

Ease of Use - For high-performing, low-profile receivers, it really is just a Marantz world. Use the R-1604 for plenty of HDMI ports (7 in and 1 out), multiroom capability, Audyssey’s MultEQ calibration, and front panel iPod capability via USB all for just $650! That leaves you $1850 for speakers. Get this SVS SB-1000 sealed sub for just $500, leaving you $1350 for your remaining 5 speakers. To keep the low-profile spirit of this Bose killer, we’re going to go with monitor (read, bookshelf) speakers, four of these amazing Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 monitors and matching center – all for only $1190! This leaves you room in the budget for 4 stands for these CMT0340s and cables from monoprice.

Low Profile/style – For this configuration, we’re going to get you separates! That’s right – we’re pairing Emotiva’s UPA-500 for $400, and their UMC-200 Preamp/surround processor for $700. That’s $1100, leaving $1400 for speakers. We’re going to opt for Aperion Audio’s Intimus 4T Hybrid SD package, for $1400. This gets you two slim 4T towers, one 4C center, two 4B monitors, and the Bravus II 8D subwoofer! Your system will be the envy of all your neighbors, even the Bose Lifestyle owners!

Sound Quality – This one is hard. It’s not hard to beat Bose, mind you. It’s just hard to pick a winner, because there are so many phenomenal choices at this price point! If you want to make your theater room sound like an actual theater, you could do little better at this price than Klipsch’s RF-42 II Home Theater system for $1500. Make this Denon AVR-X3000 the brains of your setup for $900, and you’ll have pick up your jaw from where it lands on the floor!

Next time, we’ll tackle their most expensive 5.1 surround sound system – the Lifestyle 535 Series II.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most people who buy Bose think that Bose is awesome. They don't buy Bose because they think Bose is cheap.

Buy yeah, Pioneer BS22 for $127/PR + even smallest HSU STF-1 for $307 = $434 would kill any Bose system for sure.

Or Infinity p163 on sale for $85 each or NHT SZ on sale for $60 each, etc.

We could go on and on.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Sound Quality – This one is hard. It’s not hard to beat Bose, mind you. It’s just hard to pick a winner, because there are so many phenomenal choices at this price point! If you want to make your theater room sound like an actual theater, you could do little better at this price than Klipsch’s RF-42 II Home Theater system for $1500. Make this Denon AVR-X3000 the brains of your setup for $900, and you’ll have pick up your jaw from where it lands on the floor!
I think that my jaw is safe on this one - it will get no-where near the floor, with Klipsch.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just cant get used to horns, I have tried to like them but, I just don't.... I have tried many, the HSU's, the JBL's, Klipsch, yamaha, ect I don't like the upper ends... I prefer soft dome, and some ribbons are growing on me, and hard domes seem to give me mixed ratings, I either can live with them or don't really like them either...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am betting you guys wouldn't be able to tell horned speakers from out of a blind line up if the FR was the same. You see horns and say 'uh oh, klipsch!' and your biases take over.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am betting you guys wouldn't be able to tell horned speakers from out of a blind line up if the FR was the same. You see horns and say 'uh oh, klipsch!' and your biases take over.
You would be losing that bet in short order. The first time I heard HSU bookshelfs, I didn't even know what they were and they had the grilles on, I knew rite away I didn't like the highs...
I know its hard for some people to believe, but maybe this stuff does matter, make a list of speakers with horns and compare it to the quantity of the stuff available with out and compare popularity, then get back to me with what you would bet on...
If you are arguing that all speakers sound the same and you can not tell between a hard, sift, horn, ect that is insane.... They sound different, just like towers sound different from books, and larger drivers sound different than smaller ones...

I

Irishman

Audioholic
You would be losing that bet in short order. The first time I heard HSU bookshelfs, I didn't even know what they were and they had the grilles on, I knew rite away I didn't like the highs...
I know its hard for some people to believe, but maybe this stuff does matter, make a list of speakers with horns and compare it to the quantity of the stuff available with out and compare popularity, then get back to me with what you would bet on...
If you are arguing that all speakers sound the same and you can not tell between a hard, sift, horn, ect that is insane.... They sound different, just like towers sound different from books, and larger drivers sound different than smaller ones...
Have you ever auditioned the Klipsch Icon W-series? Curious to what your thoughts were. They were probably the most un-Klipschlike regarding music playback comfort over long sessions for me.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't spent a lot of time with that series, I am very familiar with the reference, synergy and ultras. None of which I would ever say is the best you can do, in all of their price ranges you can get something better and friendlier...

I was at SI one day and a gentleman was there demo'ing some wharfedale jades {which I finder "sharper" than I prefer for long sessions}, he kept saying how warm and inviting they sounded, we got to talking and I found out he had a pretty expensive klipsch ref setup with 4 towers dual subs, ect... I asked if he ever heard of EMP TEK, he said no and looked them up on his phone, he said "wow affordable", we exchanged emails and talk once and a while, he bought an Emp setup with a pair of HSU subs, with intentions of "trying them out' he still has them and could not believe he spent all that money on his klipsch stuff...

I don't like how klipsch stuff colors the high end, I am also not crazy about how their tweeters mix into the mids, I am not sure about the technical aspect and where they cross, but something is not rite to me...

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I haven't spent a lot of time with that series, I am very familiar with the reference, synergy and ultras. None of which I would ever say is the best you can do, in all of their price ranges you can get something better and friendlier...

I was at SI one day and a gentleman was there demo'ing some wharfedale jades {which I finder "sharper" than I prefer for long sessions}, he kept saying how warm and inviting they sounded, we got to talking and I found out he had a pretty expensive klipsch ref setup with 4 towers dual subs, ect... I asked if he ever heard of EMP TEK, he said no and looked them up on his phone, he said "wow affordable", we exchanged emails and talk once and a while, he bought an Emp setup with a pair of HSU subs, with intentions of "trying them out' he still has them and could not believe he spent all that money on his klipsch stuff...

I don't like how klipsch stuff colors the high end, I am also not crazy about how their tweeters mix into the mids, I am not sure about the technical aspect and where they cross, but something is not rite to me...
I think you'll find something to be interested in from my next entry in the Bose Killers series. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Have you ever auditioned the Klipsch Icon W-series? Curious to what your thoughts were. They were probably the most un-Klipschlike regarding music playback comfort over long sessions for me.
The JBL Studio 530, is the horn speaker to listen to - that speaker is a gem to
most owners - and can knock some popular more expensive dome speakers off
the table. Selling for $479 a pair now - and way, way and way better than the
likes of them 201, 301, 401 etc: Bose speakers. >> They will also out-perform
them/those old Bose tower speakers.

Part of an inside look of Bose 701

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Horns ARE an acquired taste , and not for everyone. ;-)
I have owned Klipsch speakers, and my jaw was safe - they can be nice for movies.
A long with an aggressive horn nature - their midrange tends to lack good definition,
which again tends to highlight their horn. JBL puts a more complex crossover in their
Studio 5 series, which takes away the blaring horn nature.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
This time, we’ll tackle Bose's most expensive surround sound system – the Lifestyle 535 Series II.

1. The Lifestyle 535 Series II at $3300 includes a set of 5 of Bose’s JewelCubes, one of Bose’s Acoustimass modules, their AV receiver with 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, an AdaptIQ calibration microphone and headset, a remote control and remote sensor. This is the second of 2 Bose systems that can connect via HDMI, but features no blu-ray playback.

Ease of Use – We’re going with Onkyo for this solution, specifically the TX-NR929 for $1200. It gives you plenty of power in the largest rooms yet simple control via Onkyo’s Control App, HDMI video to a second zone, THX Select 2 Plus certification, plus Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32, for equalizing up to 2 subwoofers flawlessly! For the speakers, $2114 (yes, I know, we went over by $14! You’ll thank me, and here’s why). You get the EMP Tek E55Ti Tower pair, an EMP Tek E56Ci Center, an EMP Tek E5Bi Monitor pair, and a droolworthy Hsu Research VTF-3 MK4 subwoofer in rosenut finish!

Low Profile/style – This Harman Kardon BDS SO 5.1 does Bose one better in this configuration. It combines a 5.1 channel amplifier with an integrated blu-ray player, for only $700. For low profile style, you really can’t top these Orb Audio Mod2X PLUS 5.1 system, including subwoofer, for $1876. Orb includes a 12 foot subwoofer cable in the bundle AND 100 ft. 16 gauge speaker wire! This brings you to $2576, letting you pocket quite a bit of the difference, all the while showing what premium audio can do.

Sound Quality – We’re reaching out to one of our favorite and most well-regarded internet direct brands for this one! Yes, I’m talking about Hsu Research, and this time it’s their Ultra 15 5.1 Package, coming in at $2049 in a premium Rosenut finish. It features their ULS-15 subwoofer that reaches down to 15Hz, four of their HB-1 MK2 monitors and the matching HC-1 MK2 center. For the receiver, we’re going with Yamaha’s RX-A1030BL for just $1100, with great movie night sound plus HDMI-based second zone for multiroom flexibility. Their YPAO Room Correction system will also fine-tune the sound for your room. This gives you $151 for cables at monoprice, and a little left for popcorn and drinks.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Low Profile/style – This Harman Kardon BDS SO 5.1 does Bose one better in this configuration. It combines a 5.1 channel amplifier with an integrated blu-ray player, for only $700. For low profile style, you really can’t top these Orb Audio Mod2X PLUS 5.1 system
I will for sure will take the Focal Dome over the weak Orb sats - the Domes
have a tweeter, and a much better bass response. > The Orb does not have
much bass to give. The –3dB point is at 195 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 164 Hz
FOCAL DOME 5.1 MINI SPEAKER SYSTEM at Music Direct

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis