Bose Killers for Every Budget – a Series

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Every once in a while, a thread will get started asking if there are better alternatives to Bose in audio. And most of us who read and join in those threads throw out some great ideas, and almost inevitably, someone says this - or words to this effect - "I should come up with a system that will demolish this Bose system". We've all thought this at one point, right? Well, I decided to have a go at it. The recommendations are 100% serious, and the mocking tone of Bose is half-serious.

Bose buyers usually fall into 3 categories – they’re buying Bose for ease of use and setup, because they are stylish and unobtrusive, or they’ve been told that Bose represents the best in sound quality. First, we’ll tackle their least expensive “home theater” system – the Cinemate GS Series II.

1. The Cinemate GS Series II at $600 includes a pair of small satellite speakers that Bose calls Gemstones, one of Bose’s Acoustimass modules, a remote control and remote sensor. It can only connect to a TV that has an audio output, via analog stereo or optical.

Ease of Use - For those who like a sleek look and simple setup, the AVR is the Marantz NR1403. It features Audyssey MultEQ XT system calibration to simply configure the speakers for your room. It’s $400 list, but you can catch it for less on sale. To get 2.1 stereo sound boosted by a good subwoofer, pick up these Insignia NS-SP213 5 ¼” bookshelf speakers for $70, and round out the LFE with this Bic America V80 8” 100w subwoofer for $110. This puts you at $580, giving you $20 for cables at monoprice.

Low Profile - For those who want a solution that disappears with no visible wires, go with the ZVOX ZBase 580. Like the Bose, it connects to your TV via optical, analog stereo, or digital coax. It’s also $500, and exceeds the performance of the Bose in every way. It also gives you the ability to add a true subwoofer to really enhance the LFE. Use the money you save on an optical cable if you need it, and be sure to pick up some popcorn for movie night, because you’ll be doing it a lot!

Sound Quality - For those who want the best sound quality in a 2.1 system, get a pair of the lauded Andrew Jones SP-BS22 monitors for $130. Couple it with Bic America’s F-12 12” subwoofer for $200. Then power everything with Pioneer’s VSX-523-K for $250. This will leave you with $20 for cables at monoprice. Everything you play on this system will destroy the Bose Cinemate in every conceivable way.

Next time, we’ll tackle their least expensive surround sound system – the Lifestyle 525 Series II.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lol, this is crazy. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people are buying Bose because they think the sound quality is awesome, but certainly those people are out there. Anyway, if you don't need HDMI or a lot of inputs and just want raw performance for the dollar, I would just go for some quality studio monitors, JBL, Genelec, Adam, etc. That would be a lot better than Pioneer budget speakers. And if you are willing to go DIY, you can get better bang for your buck than even studio monitors.

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
good topic, I'll be sure to follow. I just put together a budget 5.1 setup for just a tad over $600 w/o cable and around 40 bucks of shipping. I got my receiver as open box brand new for 190, sub for 199 and like you mentioned above I seem to think my set up destroy's the GS II as well as several others.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Bose has a market for their products, the spent the time and money on marketing and designated store fronts, and believe it or not there is not much that will compete with it...

Think about it, not everyone {actually very few} people want speakers bigger than the size of my fist, they want a few almost invisible speakers that just plug and play, name another system that does that? I don't know if you ever set up a bose system, but it can't get much easier, the cables are color coded and you just run them and done, plus they will come out and hook it up for free... Plus they do crazy financing, I have a cousin that bought a bose system when he built his house, they came out and installed it and he financed it through them for 0% interest!!! Plus when he wanted to upgraded they buoght his old system back {gave him more than he could have ever sold it for} and installed the new one, and financed that one, when it breaks they come out and fix it too...

So add all that stuff up and they leave a lot of the stuff we own in the dust, the only place we win is sq and output.. So if you want small, convenient, easy, no interest, no work, ect get Bose, if you want to have bigger more conspicuous speakers, do the work to figure out the gear, set it up yourself, ect. then go for doing it yourself, the problem is a lot of people don't want to or know how or want to learn how to buy and setup there own gear.. We are a small portion of the market believe it or not, the bulk of people don't even care about surround sound or sq, then there are the htib guys {bose falls into this category}, then the hardcore guys, with a little grey between each category of course...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Put aside an impossible idea that really tiny speakers could ever sound good, the answer for simple stereo speakers is easy - audioengine 5+

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Every once in a while, a thread will get started asking if there are better alternatives to Bose in audio. And most of us who read and join in those threads throw out some great ideas, and almost inevitably, someone says this - or words to this effect - "I should come up with a system that will demolish this Bose system". We've all thought this at one point, right? Well, I decided to have a go at it. The recommendations are 100% serious, and the mocking tone of Bose is half-serious.

Bose buyers usually fall into 3 categories – they’re buying Bose for ease of use and setup, because they are stylish and unobtrusive, or they’ve been told that Bose represents the best in sound quality. First, we’ll tackle their least expensive “home theater” system – the Cinemate GS Series II.

1. The Cinemate GS Series II at $600 includes a pair of small satellite speakers that Bose calls Gemstones, one of Bose’s Acoustimass modules, a remote control and remote sensor. It can only connect to a TV that has an audio output, via analog stereo or optical.

Ease of Use - For those who like a sleek look and simple setup, the AVR is the Marantz NR1403. It features Audyssey MultEQ XT system calibration to simply configure the speakers for your room. It’s $400 list, but you can catch it for less on sale. To get 2.1 stereo sound boosted by a good subwoofer, pick up these Insignia NS-SP213 5 ¼” bookshelf speakers for $70, and round out the LFE with this Bic America V80 8” 100w subwoofer for $110. This puts you at $580, giving you $20 for cables at monoprice.

Low Profile - For those who want a solution that disappears with no visible wires, go with the ZVOX ZBase 580. Like the Bose, it connects to your TV via optical, analog stereo, or digital coax. It’s also $500, and exceeds the performance of the Bose in every way. It also gives you the ability to add a true subwoofer to really enhance the LFE. Use the money you save on an optical cable if you need it, and be sure to pick up some popcorn for movie night, because you’ll be doing it a lot!

Sound Quality - For those who want the best sound quality in a 2.1 system, get a pair of the lauded Andrew Jones SP-BS22 monitors for $130. Couple it with Bic America’s F-12 12” subwoofer for $200. Then power everything with Pioneer’s VSX-523-K for $250. This will leave you with $20 for cables at monoprice. Everything you play on this system will destroy the Bose Cinemate in every conceivable way.

Next time, we’ll tackle their least expensive surround sound system – the Lifestyle 525 Series II.

Okay, I guess I'll play devil's advocate. If you assume you can get the Marantz, etc. on sale, you should assume the same for the Bose.

At any rate, are you saying that you didn't hear the systems you put together in your mind, or the Bose, but are just saying you're confident that the Bose will lose? Uh, I don't get it.

K

kzaudiovideo

Banned
I think Bose really has good reputation of good quality audio. And it still is a beast..

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Compared to Bose - I will let the Bird take care of business
Focal 5.1 Bird System with Cub Subwoofer - Sub/Sat Systems by Spearit Sound
The Birds are certainly going to outperform Bose jewel cubes, but what Bose system are you pitting them against? The idea behind my exercise is that I can come up with 3 different solutions, each priced to compete with a currently shipping Bose setup, and each one designed to address one of the most common reasons people buy Bose.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I mentioned the Marantz goes on sale, but didn't take sales into account in my final calculations - only list price. Further, Bose is UMRP, and rarely goes on sale.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So if you want small, convenient, easy, no interest, no work, ect get Bose
Think you nailed it. My mother (88), and my sister (61), LOVE their Bose Wave systems. 1 piece, small, radio/CD, no wires, simple remote, and sounds a lot better than their old desktop/boombox-like systems. They don't understand more than on/off, station, and volume, and don't want to.

However, for someone who IS interested in more, this thread could prove quite useful. Thanks!

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
Think you nailed it. My mother (88), and my sister (61), LOVE their Bose Wave systems. 1 piece, small, radio/CD, no wires, simple remote, and sounds a lot better than their old desktop/boombox-like systems. They don't understand more than on/off, station, and volume, and don't want to.

However, for someone who IS interested in more, this thread could prove quite useful. Thanks!
I'll agree with that, my in-laws have the Wave and love it for ease of use and good sound. I have the Bose Solo TV speaker in my basement. I purchased because I literally have no room, not even for a soundbar. My TV sits on the Solo and is the exact size as the TV's pedestal base, ha, talk about a space saver and now I don't have to listen to crappy tv speaker sound. I have to admit the Solo sounds real nice and packs a good little punch in my small finished basement. Optical out from TV to the Solo and plug it in. Thats it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Mickey, I don't think you understand Bose's target market.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Birds are certainly going to outperform Bose jewel cubes, but what Bose system are you pitting them against? The idea behind my exercise is that I can come up with 3 different solutions, each priced to compete with a currently shipping Bose setup, and each one designed to address one of the most common reasons people buy Bose.
I am putting the Bird up against all Bose products - I can if I desired, come
up with 3+ options - however, I started with this one.

People mainly buy Bose for looks and convenience - Also, because their
skilled marketing team hit that target range. Also, people who tend to
buy Bose > do it with the perception of great live sound, that has been
planted in their mind.

You can find a 5.1 receiver for around $150 - only $50 above the $600 so
called budget range. If one does not want the rear speakers - then give
them to the kids - or, use as desk-top speakers with another subwoofer.

My recommendation stands.:)

For a budget above the Gem series and with surround sats > the Bird again
http://www.spearitsound.com/product.cgi?group=359&product=6642

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
says he will have more tomorrow... How did I miss that project, I must have been drunk, kudos to Dennis...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
says he will have more tomorrow... How did I miss that project, I must have been drunk, kudos to Dennis...
I did demo the prototype and posted it - maybe you were moving some speakers
around, looking for the so-called perfect spot! :)

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Mickey, I don't think you understand Bose's target market.
Yeah, they are not for most of us, and they are very successful at what they do. I always though Bose was crap until I bought a sound dock for my iPhone. For the mp3 files, it was pretty impressive, while my very expensive 2 channel system sounded like crap with the same files. I later found out it was mostly the DAC unit I had which was causing the problem, but I digress. Then I bought the bose noise cancelling headphones and what they can do is somewhat jaw dropping. Some will hate on Bose, but it won't change a thing. They are successful because of more than simple marketing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis