Borrow/Rent Audio Equipment (San Jose)

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
He told you he used the slimline Marantz avr because of building/room codes? LOL. He may be a nice guy but....
He used SR7015 I think, it wasn't slim at all, He said they limit the output of all receivers to 50W per channel as they have lot of wiring routed to several speakers and due to some code they had to limit. They however have another room with KEF blades and high end speakers where they don't limit the watts

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He used SR7015 I think, it wasn't slim at all, He said they limit the output of all receivers to 50W per channel as they have lot of wiring routed to several speakers and due to some code they had to limit. They however have another room with KEF blades and high end speakers where they don't limit the watts
I thought you meant his house....wonder how they calculate the limiting of watts....probably just use the avr's built in volume limit setting and took a guess as to what speaker at what distance maxed out at 50w.....strange story still. So you demo'd at BB both out on the open floor and a special room for audio?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So red, did you buy flowers for your wife yet today? You gotta get to buttering her up so you can get a good sub that'll give you some tangible results!

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
Well they had two rooms for audio, one room had all these sub 10k speakers, towers book shelfs etc with a variety of subs and variety of marantz receivers. You can choose any combination through an iPad menu and stream via Tidal. The other room is high end like Kef blades and McIntosh's etc.
I demoed both times in the closed room.

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
So red, did you buy flowers for your wife yet today? You gotta get to buttering her up so you can get a good sub that'll give you some tangible results!
haha i planted the seed for now and keep showing her several subs and ideas on how to conceal them. I don't think its going to work for the subs, the only thing she approved is the KC62.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My WAF upgrade strategy is very effective but also very expensive. My last speaker purchase also cost me a new big iPad. She suddenly became much more receptive to new speakers when the iPad was thrown in the mix tho...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well they had two rooms for audio, one room had all these sub 10k speakers, towers book shelfs etc with a variety of subs and variety of marantz receivers. You can choose any combination through an iPad menu and stream via Tidal. The other room is high end like Kef blades and McIntosh's etc.
I demoed both times in the closed room.
Thanks for the clarification. Is one room "Magnolia"? Our nearest BB has no audio rooms, they don't sell enough here. Keep in mind a sub demo in such a place is going to depend on how well they set something up and what settings are on the avr....for subs your own room could well "sound" different in any case as subs are highly room dependent.

You're going to have to do some better butterin' up....:)

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the clarification. Is one room "Magnolia"?
yes both rooms are in Magnolia section. He said when they got the R11's they tried them out in the other room with 800W amps and said it shook the entire building.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the clarification. Is one room "Magnolia"? Our nearest BB has no audio rooms, they don't sell enough here. Keep in mind a sub demo in such a place is going to depend on how well they set something up and what settings are on the avr....for subs your own room could well "sound" different in any case as subs are highly room dependent.

You're going to have to do some better butterin' up....:)
I was gonna mention that too. Those rooms filled with gear are usually set up to maximize space and not so much sound. Especially with a subwoofer. Depending on where you're standing in the room it could range from way too boomy and loud to almost nonexistant.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was gonna mention that too. Those rooms filled with gear are usually set up to maximize space and not so much sound. Especially with a subwoofer. Depending on where you're standing in the room it could range from way too boomy and loud to almost nonexistant.
Let alone the sub being setup for a particular set of speakers....or some sort of one size fits all integration?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
..... and he used the REL T9i subwoofer. Only one subwoofer placed to the side of the room. (much bigger room than mine)

I didn't noticed any difference at all when he turned the sub on and off with several songs. Finally he played a bass heavy Drake song and I noticed difference on the lower octave side but I had to really pay attention to hear it. That is why i wasn't too keen on subs when I bought the speakers.
I missed that underlined part of your post. The T9i seems lacking in performance from what I've seen, especially for such a high price tag. I'm not surprised you wouldn't notice much from it in a big room with less than optimal placement and not properly set up with the specific speakers you were listening to. Subs can be really fussy about placement.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So where exactly are we at, at this point? You have the Pioneer and speakers and are pondering sub(s)? what's the budget for sub?

Amps aren't necessarily the answer. Amps will only improve things like bass response if the current power source is not sufficient for the levels you are listening at.

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
well at this point we are at an impasse, i'm looking at ways to conceal subs, the side table idea suggested was good one but there is no rush from my side. I might look into it later this year.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis