Borrow/Rent Audio Equipment (San Jose)

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
I would like to test out my speakers with high wattage amplifiers or beefier integrated amps. What is the best way to do that? I can pay for it for a week or so rental. Anyone aware of such shops in San Jose area?
If you are willing to let me borrow yours for a few days please let me know. It will be an immense help so I can figure out what to buy.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
What’s your current setup? What are your speakers not doing that you want them to?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might check in with a Guitar Center or Sweetwater type store, they may rent pro amps out. If I were still in the bay area I would have been glad to help out....

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
What’s your current setup? What are your speakers not doing that you want them to?
KEF R11 and R2C with a Pioneer receiver VSX 1021-k

Looking to add subwoofers (REL T9i) or More powerful amp to improve bass response.
Eventually I'll do both but i just heard so many things from many people that I just want to test it out and hear for myself before committing more money in new equipment.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're gonna need a sub to improve your bass response. Those are really nice speakers, but with a fr of 46 hz that's not much lower than a good bookshelf speaker. I really, really don't think more power is going to give you what you're looking for. Your speaker's sensitivity is 90 dB. You need a sub or true full range speakers. You can also do so, so much better than the T9i for the money.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now think about it. You want to improve bass response. Your speakers' spec claim a f3 of 46 hz (I assume they don't specify) which isn't all that deep to begin with in a tower speaker, and the 2 choices are an amp or bass producing subwoofers... lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subs are a likely better solution to your problem as was said. I wouldn't bother with Rel, tho.

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
@lovinthehd @Pogre ok after reading and getting multiple opinions on several places it seems like subs are the way to go. So let us talk about subs. These are the recommendations so far. I know that two subs are better than one but placing subs along side the TV cabinet is a strict no no for my wife so I can't do that.

So i'm thinking of getting just one bigger sub and place it next to the couch beside where I sit hidden from plain sight.
I saw one video by Steve Guttenberg in which he recommends placing sub next to where you sit so that works perfectly for my situation.

In the picture attached i can place it beside the couch where the guitar is and connect it to the receiver wirelessly. Also my main purpose of sub is for music, movies i couldn't care less.

So given these constraints what sub do you guys recommend.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I think Steve Guttenberg videos should be avoided due high nonsense content (like Danny Richie/GR Research and Paul McGowan/BS Audio), yes, placing a sub nearfield may work. It may not be an ideal location, tho; subs tend to need to be placed where they need to be placed, and that often doesn't mix with aesthetics well. I'd look at the RSL 10s Speedwoofer with the wireless option, effective and reasonably priced. OTOH you can have a sub cabinet made as an end table or other WAF friendly furniture. Looks like a reflective room, too.

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
lol BS Audio! A few years back Steve Guttenberg did recommend those B&W MM1 computer speakers as one of the best on his cnet blog so I got them and had to sell them for half price coz I just couldn't stand it.

TIL WAF=Wife acceptance factor!! lol

red_kk

red_kk

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to digress but these KEF R11s however are amazing, such a pleasure to listen to. I'm actually very happy i took some time and auditioned several speakers and got these. When I auditioned I hated B&W 802 speakers, they were painful to listen to more than 30 secs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to digress but these KEF R11s however are amazing, such a pleasure to listen to. I'm actually very happy i took some time and auditioned several speakers and got these. When I auditioned I hated B&W 802 speakers, they were painful to listen to more than 30 secs.
They are nice speakers. I think the R series is where KEF start getting really good. They're great looking too. Yours are pretty easy on the eyes. I love the way the drivers look. I'd love to spend an afternoon with them. I think I'd be a pretty happy camper if I owned them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
KEF R11 and R2C with a Pioneer receiver VSX 1021-k

Looking to add subwoofers (REL T9i) or More powerful amp to improve bass response.
Eventually I'll do both but i just heard so many things from many people that I just want to test it out and hear for myself before committing more money in new equipment.
Rel T9i? Blech. A 10" sub with a -6dB point of 28Hz for $1300! Just no.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not that black boxes are particularly good looking, the piano finish isn't all that unique and the feet are downright fugly on that model.
Red's problem is WAF. This reminds me of Sparkus from a while back. You remember him? We kept telling him he needed a better sub and he went and bought a big Parasound amplifier anyway. He ended up returning it the same day, lol.

Of course then he went down the bi amp rabbit hole... anything to avoid the one thing we kept telling him he needed. Everyone underestimates what a good sub can do for a system, even with music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WAF can be handled a couple ways, particularly custom/diy. Is the wife wanting the look of the Rel over something else? The end table thing for the couch may work out well enough for his seat....and Sparkus doesn't sound all that familiar altho the situation is repeated periodically.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
WAF can be handled a couple ways, particularly custom/diy. Is the wife wanting the look of the Rel over something else? The end table thing for the couch may work out well enough for his seat....and Sparkus doesn't sound all that familiar altho the situation is repeated periodically.
I spent some time contemplating DIY subs and there are extremely high performing sealed 18’s. Now spend some time on YouTube looking at high quality veneers, drool!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I spent some time contemplating DIY subs and there are extremely high performing sealed 18’s. Now spend some time on YouTube looking at high quality veneers, drool!!!
I haven't tried veneering yet, just staining....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis