Booo. My 2ch Atmos amp died... probably.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When I was putting my sound system for the theater together I got an el-cheapo AudioSource 2ch A/B amp for the rear Atmos speakers. Worked decently enough for two years, but after finally putting everything in a rack, the amp isn't playing any sound.

Checked everything and connections are good, but with it being what it is (and my kids poking it) I'm pretty sure it's dead.

I feel I have two choices.

1. Replace this amp with a lower end 2ch and be done. Which amp should I go with?

2. Do a @Pogre and buy something neat, but not necessarily needed for the front LR or possibly LCR. Again, which amp?

My room isn't big so power hasn't been an issue with the Demon 4300h, but my speakers are rated up to 250w...not that that matters.

So, what should I do?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You summon me and ask if you should go the more common sense cheapie route that's a perfectly good solution or go the cool route and get something that's mostly overkill but fun as hell?

To that I would say click on the spoiler in my sig... :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Outlaw still running that three-fer special? I can never find it on their site. That'd be something cool without blowing out your bank account.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anything light up on the amp?
See if you can do a reset and see if it works with other channel outputs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The most affordable solution if you can't reset it, would be to get the Crown XLS1002 that would be amply adequate for the Atmos channels. I wouldn't waste money on getting that Audio Source repaired.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

When I was putting my sound system for the theater together I got an el-cheapo AudioSource 2ch A/B amp for the rear Atmos speakers. Worked decently enough for two years, but after finally putting everything in a rack, the amp isn't playing any sound.

Checked everything and connections are good, but with it being what it is (and my kids poking it) I'm pretty sure it's dead.

I feel I have two choices.

1. Replace this amp with a lower end 2ch and be done. Which amp should I go with?

2. Do a @Pogre and buy something neat, but not necessarily needed for the front LR or possibly LCR. Again, which amp?

My room isn't big so power hasn't been an issue with the Demon 4300h, but my speakers are rated up to 250w...not that that matters.

So, what should I do?
Well I don't think you want to go lower end than Audiosource. In my view they are absolute junk. I made the mistake of buying one after we bought our Lake home in 1998. We moved in 1999. We used it as an occasional home as I was working full time as an ICU physician back then. So I bought one as I thought it would not get much use. I don't think that one even lasted two years. When I investigated I realized I had made an expensive purchase of junk and shipped it to the recycling center DBQ. So that got replaced with a Quad, which I should have put in, in the first place.

A good vintage amp would probably serve you best. A nice Quad 303 would probably serve you very well. That by the way was the first solid sate amp that was any good. They are robust, and unconditionally stable and proven to have a very long life, because of the triple transistor output stage. The BBC used them as work horses for their line amps before the digital era.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You summon me and ask if you should go the more common sense cheapie route that's a perfectly good solution or go the cool route and get something that's mostly overkill but fun as hell?

To that I would say click on the spoiler in my sig... :p
I had to do it. Hard not to want a neat amp for the front, but I'm going to need some new amps when I get the time for new subs. Only so much room in the rack...I literally just built.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Does anything light up on the amp?
See if you can do a reset and see if it works with other channel outputs.
It does, that's what's weird. I opened it up and can't see anything visually wrong with it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The most affordable solution if you can't reset it, would be to get the Crown XLS1002 that would be amply adequate for the Atmos channels. I wouldn't waste money on getting that Audio Source repaired.
Right. No way I'd do that. Amp didn't cost enough to even consider repair.

The crown is something I'd love to do. Especially since I've already got one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well I don't think you want to go lower end than Audiosource. In my view they are absolute junk. I made the mistake of buying one after we bought our Lake home in 1998. We moved in 1999. We used it as an occasional home as I was working full time as an ICU physician back then. So I bought one as I thought it would not get much use. I don't think that one even lasted two years. When I investigated I realized I had made an expensive purchase of junk and shipped it to the recycling center DBQ. So that got replaced with a Quad, which I should have put in, in the first place.

A good vintage amp would probably serve you best. A nice Quad 303 would probably serve you very well. That by the way was the first solid sate amp that was any good. They are robust, and unconditionally stable and proven to have a very long life, because of the triple transistor output stage. The BBC used them as work horses for their line amps before the digital era.
As much as you praise those amps I've been intrigued for sure. I'll see if I can find one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As much as you praise those amps I've been intrigued for sure. I'll see if I can find one.
They are not hard to find. There are plenty to be had. It is estimated that as much as 90% of the total production are still in good working order. The 303s are in the 35 to 51 your old age range. That is why I get bent out of shape about all this short lived junk. Prior to the Quad 303 all solid state amps were "five minute wonders." Looking back that amp was a mile stone in the progression of high fidelity.

The amp is 45 watts per channel. You don't need a lot of power for the ceiling speakers. My ceiling speakers are 15 watt 4" full rangers. (JW modules).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They are not hard to find. There are plenty to be had. It is estimated that as much as 90% of the total production are still in good working order. The 303s are in the 35 to 51 your old age range. That is why I get bent out of shape about all this short lived junk. Prior to the Quad 303 all solid state amps were "five minute wonders." Looking back that amp was a mile stone in the progression of high fidelity.

The amp is 45 watts per channel. You don't need a lot of power for the ceiling speakers. My ceiling speakers are 15 watt 4" full rangers. (JW modules).
Agreed. It didn't take long to come up with results. I will probably get one, but I have another project that that amp would be perfect for. The price is very nice on those amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right. No way I'd do that. Amp didn't cost enough to even consider repair.

The crown is something I'd love to do. Especially since I've already got one.
I think Verdinut hit the nail in the head. At the price range of your failed amp you can't beat the XLS1002, just can't, period! The Outlaw M2200 would be a much better choice if you want the much better specs, but at roughly 2X the price. Tha may not worth it for just a pair of Atmos speakers.

One advantage of the M2200 is that they are good enough to be used for the LCR, or at least the L/R especially since you have the AVR-X4300H that should allow you to apply the internal amp bypass trick, for better higher quality pre out at above 1.5-2.0 V (in theory anyway).

highfigh

highfigh

It does, that's what's weird. I opened it up and can't see anything visually wrong with it.

Which model is that- looks like it could be the AMP102 or 102VS- if it stopped playing as soon as it went into the rack, I would suggest checking the input connections, especially if you used the signal-sensing feature. I mistakenly used Input 1 on one of the AudioSource amps I installed and had several service calls about the sound cutting out, so I called the company (Yeah, I should have RTFM) and was told that input 1 isn't correct for using Auto Sense. The model I used was the AMP100, IIRC, and the 102 has different labeling on the inputs.

highfigh

highfigh

Why I would never buy an Audiosource amp. Cheapest piece of crap. :D

I think a class-D from Crown or Yamaha should do the trick.

I would get the Yamaha PX3, which I think is the best looking Pro amp. :D

There's a PX3 on Amazon Warehouse deal for $310 now.

I have seen plenty that was worse than AudioSource- the one I installed where I got the service calls has been there since 2014 and it's still going.

Looks like a lot of amp for $310.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have seen plenty that was worse than AudioSource- the one I installed where I got the service calls has been there since 2014 and it's still going.

Looks like a lot of amp for $310.
Yeah, I would take a Yamaha amp any day over an Audiosource amp, especially the PX3 for $310. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis