Booo. My 2ch Atmos amp died... probably.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, I would take a Yamaha amp any day over an Audiosource amp, especially the PX3 for $310. :D
That would have been serious overkill for the Master Bath this is used for, but anything that's reliable is what I want. So far, so good.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I thought Pyle was the cheapest piece of crap.:rolleyes:
That's exactly the brand I had in mind when I wrote my other post about worse. There's a lot of off-brand crap out there but there's also some stuff that's private-labeled for distribution that works. I installed a 'Select' brand amp at a bar and it was basically left powered for 2-1/2 years with several power outages and a weird speaker load. Works fine.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why I would never buy an Audiosource amp. Cheapest piece of crap. :D

I think a class-D from Crown or Yamaha should do the trick.

I would get the Yamaha PX3, which I think is the best looking Pro amp. :D

There's a PX3 on Amazon Warehouse deal for $310 now.

I'm with Verdinut, that does look like a lot of amp for $310. Put the front 2 on it and let the avr handle the surrounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It does, that's what's weird. I opened it up and can't see anything visually wrong with it.
As Mtry suggested, should try it on another pair of pre outs just to make sure it is the power amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That would have been serious overkill for the Master Bath this is used for, but anything that's reliable is what I want. So far, so good.
I think reliability is salient.

Sure they don't have THD+N of 0.008%, SNR of 131dBA, nor Crosstalk of 93dB. But we can't hear the difference in these specs anyway. So reliability (and appropriate power) is salient.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Funny thing is I'm pretty positive there is a Pyle version of this amp. Betting they have the same OEM.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me that Yamaha amp looks better than the Crown amps. :D
Absolutely 100% true! Haha! :D

If I were ever buying a pro amp, it would be these Yamaha PX3 since I think they are the best looking "pro amps". Might even be better looking than those blue cheese amps from you-know-who-blue that starts with an "E". :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Absolutely 100% true! Haha! :D

If I were ever buying a pro amp, it would be these Yamaha PX3 since I think they are the best looking "pro amps". Might even be better looking than those blue cheese amps from you-know-who-blue that starts with an "E". :D
That is a nice looking amp. I'm going to have to consider switching the 2ch to my mains. I think finding an amp just for atmos speakers is going to get me into cheap stuff. I think my effort would be better deciding what to do for the mains instead.

That Yamaha or this Crown are contenders.

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli-800

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wonder if this Monoprice amp would do a decent job? Sure is cheap though.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605030

But that's not gonna give you 130 dB from your front stage!

I kid, I kid, lol. In all seriousness if it's just for surrounds I'd say that amp would more than do it and the price is right. If you wanna get a little silly with the front stage then I think the three-fer deal with Outlaw would be a fun option.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

But that's not gonna give you 130 dB from your front stage!

I kid, I kid, lol. In all seriousness if it's just for surrounds I'd say that amp would more than do it and the price is right. If you wanna get a little silly with the front stage then I think the three-fer deal with Outlaw would be a fun option.
I agree. The price of the outlaws is a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm toying with adding another pro amp for the mains just to see. I doubt it'd make a difference, but they're easy to put in the rack.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to go for replacing the main amps, I would rather suggest the XLS1002 which has a lot less distortion than the XLI-800 and is still reasonable in price.
Just checking out the asr review of the XLi 800....https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/crown-xli-800-power-amplifier-review.9420/

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree. The price of the outlaws is a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm toying with adding another pro amp for the mains just to see. I doubt it'd make a difference, but they're easy to put in the rack.
For the Atmos channels, any of the two Crown amps mentioned as well as the Yamaha PX3 should be fine. If used in the front two channels, the M2200 would be my choice. They cost more, but didn't they say buy once cry once.:D

By the way, just noticed the PX3's specified 300/500 W output was for 20 ms burst, 1 kHz. That sound like just dynamic ratings, not continuous, though should still be good enough for the Atmos.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just checking out the asr review of the XLi 800....https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/crown-xli-800-power-amplifier-review.9420/
Well that made my decision to go that route easy. I'll keep my PA amps for sub duty only.

I need to see if he's measured some other "cost effective" 2ch amps.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For the Atmos channels, any of the two Crown amps mentioned as well as the Yamaha PX3 should be fine. If used in the front two channels, the M2200 would be my choice. They cost more, but didn't they say buy once cry once.:D

By the way, just noticed the PX3's specified 300/500 W output was for 20 ms burst, 1 kHz. That sound like just dynamic ratings, not continuous, though should still be good enough for the Atmos.
Yeah, any of those would be overkill for the Atmos channels. If I get a powerful amp, it's going to be for the mains.

I tested the AudioSource again and it's dead. I can hear it switching inputs when I give it a signal, but nothing from the speakers. Not even a hiss and I know this thing can't have a totally silent noise floor.

If I go cheap, then the Monoprice is it. If I don't, then the Outlaw amps are going to be hard to beat. That deal @Pogre posted is great, but I'm going to have to think about it.

EDIT: Hard to not go with the Outlaw after reading this.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/outlaw-2200-m-block-amplifier-review.11403/

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis