Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys,

Super newbie question here but is there any reason to upgrade to tower speakers vs the same class of bookshelf. I am gonna upgrade my avr this will also happen to be able to expand to 7.2.4 currently I have a 5.1.4 system.

Looking at my rew measurements everything is within margin of error, room factor etc of a flat ideal response. I am getting a new subwoofer so ideally I should have bass covered from ~16HZ - 100 HZ when speakers take over.

So is a tower speaker just for more low end? Is there something I am missing other I should know about. My knowledge says keep all speakers even surround matched specifically with atmos and gaming but what do you guys think?

Current system is.
Pioneer VSX LX 304 (getting replaced with denon as this pioneer is not what I remember pioneer being, this is absolute trash that gives me nothing but issues mostly HDMI)
4x klipsch RP 51 bookshelf (I think )
4 svs prime elevation for atmos
2x Polk 105 subs (replacing with PB -3000 or monoprice 15 thx whatever is in stock next month)
Planning to get new sub and AVR considering klipsch RP8000F (via audioholics review only a bit better measuring than my in room response)

Room size 20L x 12~w x 9~ H with acoustic tile

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat depends on size of drivers involved, size of room, design of the speaker. Just because it's in a tower form doesn't mean its significantly different, that would depend on the particular tower (many are just tall bookshelf speakers, altho the additional volume of the cabinet could well be better for efficiency/bass response).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Towers can usually handle increase Power as well as having better Dynamic Range, usually more extended FR.

What is your gear? Can't help much if we don't know. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've gona back and forth on this myself and I think at the end of the day I prefer towers for my main speakers for pretty much the reasons Ryan listed, tho if there are budget restraints you can get a better class of bookshelf speaker for the same money. So on a fixed budget I'd recommend books with a sub, tho I'd be using a sub either way. If you have the budget I'd say go for the tower version of whatever you're looking at.

Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
Towers can usually handle increase Power as well as having better Dynamic Range, usually more extended FR.

What is your gear? Can't help much if we don't know. :)
I'll update my post with what I have.

Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
I've gona back and forth on this myself and I think at the end of the day I prefer towers for my main speakers for pretty much the reasons Ryan listed, tho if there are budget restraints you can get a better class of bookshelf speaker for the same money. So on a fixed budget I'd recommend books with a sub, tho I'd be using a sub either way. If you have the budget I'd say go for the tower version of whatever you're looking at.
That's what I'm feeling about it I also like that all my speakers match so when sound moves in the room it sounds all the same, and I'm happy with FQ response that I'm getting on REW the sound is good so not sure if I add another set of bookshelf or go towers and move current mains to back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what I'm feeling about it I also like that all my speakers match so when sound moves in the room it sounds all the same, and I'm happy with FQ response that I'm getting on REW the sound is good so not sure if I add another set of bookshelf or go towers and move current mains to back.
I think another set of bookshelf would work out just fine. If you have the budget for the tower versions they should be timbre matched with your books so for "moving sound" you should still be with those too. I ended up doing exactly what you're thinking about and moved my books to surround and got the towers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I see RB-51s or R-51M/R-51PMs.....but not RP-51s. Either way they're two-ways with a relatively small 5.25" mid-woofer vs the RP-8000's dual 8" woofers....so the RP-8000 isn't quite comparable.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Even though I'm not a fan of the Big K, the 8000s are legitimately decent speakers and though I wouldn't go after them, they would definitely be an upgrade. I the the RP 600s are the most comparable Standmount to the 8000s. They both do have some flaws: I think Richie/GR Research did XO Mods for them both, ya?

(Funny how these topics group themselves... this is the 2nd or 3rd today? ;) )

Anyway, I think a very important determining factor is that for the Towers like the 8000s, you need to sit ~7-8' back, minimum, so the Drivers can all integrate properly. Any closer and you aren't getting the whole picture.

As I like to say, at the end of the day it is your system and your Ducats. You have to decide where the value lies for you.
But Upgrading, as you described, your Subs and Mains, will address the most glaring weaknesses in your system, just short of actually stepping up to better speakers still.

FWIW, I like both Sub options. You should be patient for the Monolith 15 if that's in the cards. It will be the better Sub by everything I've seen, though the intangibles are SVS' CS and Phone App. :)

Blue2kid3

Blue2kid3

Audioholic Intern
Even though I'm not a fan of the Big K, the 8000s are legitimately decent speakers and though I wouldn't go after them, they would definitely be an upgrade. I the the RP 600s are the most comparable Standmount to the 8000s. They both do have some flaws: I think Richie/GR Research did XO Mods for them both, ya?

(Funny how these topics group themselves... this is the 2nd or 3rd today? ;) )

Anyway, I think a very important determining factor is that for the Towers like the 8000s, you need to sit ~7-8' back, minimum, so the Drivers can all integrate properly. Any closer and you aren't getting the whole picture.

As I like to say, at the end of the day it is your system and your Ducats. You have to decide where the value lies for you.
But Upgrading, as you described, your Subs and Mains, will address the most glaring weaknesses in your system, just short of actually stepping up to better speakers still.

FWIW, I like both Sub options. You should be patient for the Monolith 15 if that's in the cards. It will be the better Sub by everything I've seen, though the intangibles are SVS' CS and Phone App. :)
Yeah I know that the K are not perfect but I got them on a store going out of business sale so like $100~ each and was surprised when I ran REW that my room seemed to correct the main issues people have with them so they ended up working great and to get anything much better from another company would cost astronomically more. I love the CS with svs the app seems helpful as I said before I run REW a lot and make little tweaks to my system about once a month for fun but the monoprice is an amazing sub but due to covid seems to always be out of stock.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Even if the bookshelves are 5.25, the
PB3000 operates up high so you can set sub for bookshelves at 110hz or 120hz.

I’m also unsure on Monoprice service. Worth researching.

I’ve always had good service with Rythmik and HSU and I understand SVS is even better. Remember there are built in amplifiers on these subs. They may need service at some point.

Good luck! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if the bookshelves are 5.25, the
PB3000 operates up high so you can set sub for bookshelves at 110hz or 120hz.

I’m also unsure on Monoprice service. Worth researching.

I’ve always had good service with Rythmik and HSU and I understand SVS is even better. Remember there are built in amplifiers on these subs. They may need service at some point.

Good luck! :)
Still when I went from bookshelves with single 5.25" drivers to towers with dual 8" it was still a noticeable improvement in a few ways despite the support from my subs with both. That's in a big room....in my small bedroom where I moved the 5.25" based speakers they work very well.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Still when I went from bookshelves with single 5.25" drivers to towers with dual 8" it was still a noticeable improvement in a few ways despite the support from my subs with both. That's in a big room....in my small bedroom where I moved the 5.25" based speakers they work very well.
Ya room size and volume and distance from listening position matter too. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imo, like everyone else said. It depends...lol
I’m a fan of towers(not book shelf speakers with built in stands though), even if used with subs. The larger/more quantity drivers share power and thermal loads better and are usually easier to drive due to higher sensitivity. They also tend to remain more dynamic, and stay more linear even when crossed higher(such as one might do with a BS). Little 5.25” drivers can only do so much. The 8000’s are a huge step up.

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
There's only so much you can do with bookshelf's due to the size. You have some SVS speakers so I'll use them as an example and wager that an SVS Ultra tower will sound better than an SVS Ultra bookshelf even though some of the parts maybe the same. As they say in the car world, there's no replacement for displacement and a tower gives manufacturers the ability to make their best speaker while a bookshelf almost forces them to compromise or pick/choose their components because customers want the sound from a 60ft speaker into a 1ft one. It will never be the same.

I prefer the look of towers over bookshelf's as well. So while bookshelf's maybe the new hotness for price, space, and practicality they should never be a replacement for a tower and I've yet to hear anyone say a bookshelf is better than their equal tower sibling.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think another set of bookshelf would work out just fine. If you have the budget for the tower versions they should be timbre matched with your books so for "moving sound" you should still be with those too. I ended up doing exactly what you're thinking about and moved my books to surround and got the towers.
I've seen a few people start with the Paradigm Studio 20 bookshelves and move to the Studio 100 towers with the 20's in the rear. Would love to do that if I get a bigger room. Bookshelves tend to radiate from a single point while towers give more of that wall of sound feeling. That helps a lot with immersiveness in my view.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern
I've used both, books and towers (not at the same time! LOL) and my preference by far, are towers. Completely pointless to buy towers that are nothing more than a book shelf 2 way with extended length cabinets. But start putting in 3-4 and the sound really opens up like a bookshelf just cannot do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis