Bookshelf Speakers for D Class Amp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just want to pile on in here and say that if you are looking for speakers to compensate for the sound of your amp, something has gone terribly wrong somewhere.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
This is getting way out of proportion Guys;

My Amplifier is perfectly operational, without defect.

I just want a new sound opposite to the sound of my Paradigm's. I will be checking out the ELAC B6's as well as Tannoy speakers and perhaps Polk Audio (maybe).

Last edited:
Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
I think what you're saying is your present set up sounds too 'bright' ? If that being the case it sounds like your room needs some acoustic treatments so as to help the top end
That is part of the problem I am sure of, Room Treatment is on my agenda.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Can you provide a picture of your setup?

You're blaming the amp/receiver for being 'sharp' because it's class D, but there's little scientific basis for that conclusion. What makes you think it's the amp? What makes you think a class A/B amp will be 'warm?' Amps are supposed to be neutral, not warm, not sharp.

It's more likely the issue is with your speakers and/or the room, or the placement of the speakers in the room, as others have said. That's where a picture would help a lot.

As for a soft dome tweeter, they don't necessarily sound any 'warmer' or less 'sharp' than metal dome tweeters. It depends on the particular tweeter and its implementation more than on the material used for the dome. I've owned bright/sharp speakers with soft domes and warm/dull speakers with metal domes. So that's another mistaken generalization.

As for finding a speaker that 'matches' your class D receiver, that's just about impossible to tell. There's a small chance that your class D amps do have output impedance high enough to interact with the impedance of the speakers, thus altering the speaker's frequency response. But even if that is the case, to find a 'match' you would like, you'd have to know the output impedance of your amp vs. frequency, and then you'd have to know the impedance vs frequency of every speaker you're considering, and THEN you'd have to either measure the resulting response or do some pretty sophisticated simulations to predict the altered response caused by the impedance interaction. You're going down a path that would produce a nice MSEE thesis.
I meant to say the top end of my Paradigm speakers are sharp, nothing wrong with the Amplifier.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
lovinthehd, I think the D Class Amp is "sharp", compared to being warm sounding like an A/B Amp.
What I am looking at are speakers with a soft dome tweeter which would suit a D Class amp compared to the sharpness that I get off of my paradigm speakers.
"Correction" I meant the speakers are bright on the top end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Correction" I meant the speakers are bright on the top end.
Well not what you said, but okay. Could be the room helping out, too so second the suggestison for pics for ideas on how treatment/placement could help before buying new speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is getting way out of proportion Guys;

My Amplifier is perfectly operational, without defect.

I just want a new sound opposite to the sound of my Paradigm's. I will be checking out the ELAC B6's as well as Tannoy speakers and perhaps Polk Audio (maybe).
Thats cool that your looking for a change in sound. I can respect that. Speakers and room treatments are the best way of making that change. Just dont blame the amp. The biggest myths running in audio is that solid state amplifiers and AVRs have their own unique house sound which I find utterly ridiculous. Audiophiles will laugh at you if you tell all amps sound the same but I find it amusing that they back away from a blind listening tests.
Let us know what you end up getting.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Thats cool that your looking for a change in sound. I can respect that. Speakers and room treatments are the best way of making that change. Just dont blame the amp. The biggest myths running in audio is that solid state amplifiers and AVRs have their own unique house sound which I find utterly ridiculous. Audiophiles will laugh at you if you tell all amps sound the same but I find it amusing that they back away from a blind listening tests.
Let us know what you end up getting.
Thank you.

Paul C

Paul C

Junior Audioholic
Well not what you said, but okay. Could be the room helping out, too so second the suggestison for pics for ideas on how treatment/placement could help before buying new speakers.
Yes, part of the problem is the room acoustics and placement of speakers is good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis