Bookshelf Speakers: Axiom M22 or Polk LSi9?

P

PWalsh

Audiophyte
About to purchase 2 channel system for music only. receiver will be Yamaha rx797 2x100W. debating bookshelf speakers, due to space constraints. room is 22 x 20. I have found this website to be a big pusher of axioms - I'm a bit suspicious, but interested. I am considering $1000 worth of speakers - m22's + sub, or Polk LSi9's w/o sub.

the Polks are meant to reach down to 38hz. the Axioms only go to 60hz, and will need subwoofer.

any thoughts on selecting bookshelf speakers? help is much appreciated. The sales folks at Tweeter are all I have for info....

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
What have you heard so far? What do you like?

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Might want to consider the M60's Axioms via the factory outlet. Then save up for the sub of your dreams.

You'll be set.

Your room a tad big for bookshelves imho.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Between M22s with a sub and 9s without, I'd opt for the first. Comparing 9s to M22s on their own, I'd go with the 9s, though one thing you should be aware of is that the 9s are 4 Ohm and fairly demandong so you'll need a decent receiver/amp. Realistically, you will want a sub with both for HT. For music only, you might be OK with no sub with the 9s.

Your room is not too big... The fact that they are bookshelf speakers has very little to do with it, as these are both fairly sensitive and should have no problem filling a room that size. My room is 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings, open to the kitchen. My speakers are nearly identical in spec to the LSi9s they are easily capable of above reference levels.

For a bit more than the M22s, but a lot less than the 9s, I would highly recommend you check out the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE. I like the Axioms, but the Ascends are better IMO.

M

Max997

Banned
I have the M22's and an Infinity Sub and I am pleasantly surprised with the performance although I use mine mainly for HT

I wanted to get new speakers but wanted something affordable for now but I was leary of the Axiom Speakers never hearing about them before and the price. Not to say expensive means good but when these speakers are being compared to other speakers that are dramtically higher in price it made me wonder.

Axioms 30 day money back gaurantee was the deal maker, without that I probably wouldnt have bought them and once I got them I never thought about returning them. I have a relatively small room for a HT and they fill the room nicely.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
First off, I would like to second what J_Garcia had to say and add that there are many other products you should consider before a final choice is made. Are floorstanders out of the question?

P

PWalsh

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input so far – much appreciated. Wife has ruled out floor standing towers - the room is 3/4 living room, 1/4 dining room (city living). I will use this system for music only - HT is in basement. Planning on listening to lots of jazz and acoustic rock (neil young, Dylan, springsteen) so I want clear imaging and sharp midrange.

For the HT I have been happily running a Denon AVR-3300, 5.1 receiver driving Cambridge Soundworks system of 3 - MC300's (3 ways speakers w/ 2 4" drivers and single tweeter) up front and center, 2 S300s (multi mode speakers single 4", 2x 2.5" and a tweeter) in the rear and P500 (500Watt) sub. I haven't seen much love for cambridge soundworks on this forum, but they sound pretty good for HT. They get press / run marketing in Boston area, and I gave them a shot. However, I’ve decided to go for better stuff this time around.

since floor standing is out for my music system, I am definitely going with bookshelves. sounds like bookshelves plus sub is the better option than the Polk LSi9s. Any thoughts on the axiom subs? How about velodyne, polk or infinity?

also, besides the Ascend cmt-340s, what alternatives to the Axioms / Polk’s should I look into? Klipsch?

S

soundhound

Junior Audioholic
the ascend 340SEs would be a great choice. energy is also worth checking out, either the C-3 or the new version (C-200 i think). PSB image 25s are nice, and paradigm studio series are worth looking into, but they'll cost you around twice as much as the comparable ID speakers.

p.s. don't forget Hsu subs. ascend sells them right from their site. 2 340s and a hsu stf-2 would be right around $1000. i own a velodyne sub and like it. psb subs also get great reviews, but it seems to be more for HT. for music, i'd check out hsu and velo first, then psb. gl

Last edited:
Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
I love my Klipsch's.....for HT that is and though they're not bad for music....I think they are much better for HT IMO.....and stick with the previous three....but having said that, Klipschs are readily available for demo/auditioning in most parts of the country....so there's no test like your own ears....go check them out for yourself and let your ears tell you!:)

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Also...I'll 2nd what soundhound said.....I think the stf-10 may be a nice fit for you.

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
lol...one more thing....I really really like the KEF IQ3 bookshelves for music and they're right in the same ballpark price...they retail around $480-$500 but you can find them online for anywhere from $325-$350...The IQ3's in Dark Apple are pretty sweet looking as well and may compliment your room....just a suggestion...look them up online...right around the same weight as the m22's (trust me they are housed very well)....but drive abit lower due to the single 6 1/2" (45hz) vs. the twin 5.25" of the m22's.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Polk LSi 9 owner

I own the Polk LSi 9's as the front mains in my little HT (little as in a converted 11x13 bedroom)

The 9's are great speakers, and yes there is a decent low end to the speakers. (I tried the speakers set at large with the sub filter set at 60Hz and the sub disconnected). The beach scene in Saving Private Ryan is still going to get your attention, but there is something lacking..... oh shucks, I know what it is ..... it is bass. The bass is there, it just doesn't have any humpf to it.... no visceral impact. Add a sub and it is a whole new (scary) world.

My musical tastes do not include a lot of acoustical works (with the exception of Carly Simon and good ole Barbara Streisand), so I am may not be a good judge of the speakers regarding music. On Carly's "Anticipation" the bass is there, it just lacks definition or impact. Comparatively the bass is about the same as those stock 6" woofers in the car doors of my old econo car. It is there, but not really there.

This lack of definitive Low End is the weak point of all bookshelf speakers. A 6" woofer is just not going to move a lot of air. But bookshelf speakers can be more easily placed in a room, which is important in small rooms (such as mine) or for WAF.

As negative as I have been about the LSi 9's without a sub, as free standing, WAF acceptable speakers the LSi 9's will work. The dual 6" woofer design (one woofer and one rolled off at 200hz for a midrange) is going to work well on voice and light music. Play something like "Field of Dreams" or "Shrek" and you will most likely be happy with the speakers by themselves without a sub. I had "Wall Steet" playing for the entire movie with the sub disconnected and never noticed. Next movie on the play list was "Ronin" and yes I did notice the lack of the sub .... at the opening menu of the movie.

Polk does have a little $200 sub that would work well to round off the bottom end of the speakers. The plus side is that the sub is small, the bass output is not tremendous, and WAF demands can be met.

For comparison sake, adding the small sub would be the same as adding 6" speakers to the rear deck of my old econo car. The bass may not have been earth shattering, but finally I could feel some of the bass. Just what Carly is "Anticipating"

My suggestion is to try the Polk LSi 9's at Tweeters and insist the subs be turned off.

Last edited:
Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
acoustical works good ole Barbara Streisand???.......I think I just threw up.....I dont know if I could take any advice from anyone who listens to Barbara Streisand....lol...joking!:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Daz3d&Confus3d said:
....but drive abit lower due to the single 6 1/2" (45hz) vs. the twin 5.25" of the m22's.
Bass extension is a bit lower, but so is the sensitivity. Two drivers in the same enclosure playing the same thing yeilds an instant +2dB gain, which can be pretty important when trying to fill a larger room. The KEFs are pretty musical though, and look nice too.

This lack of definitive Low End is the weak point of all bookshelf speakers.
Bookshelf speakers aren't designed for deep bass, so it isn't a weak point, it is intentional.

I used the Polk PSW202 that I got free when I bought 3 pairs of LSi7s, and I could see why they were giving them away free.... It did round out the bass a bit, but not enough for any serious use.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Daz3d&Confus3d said:
acoustical works good ole Barbara Streisand???.......I think I just threw up.....I dont know if I could take any advice from anyone who listens to Barbara Streisand....lol...joking!:D

Did I say I bought the discs? There is that WAF problem.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
lsi 9's 38hz lmao

Look closer you will se that the +/-3db is only down to 50 hz.

And dont even get me started on polk subs. They just plain.... well suck.
The fact that they give them away for free4 says it all.
IMO The axiom m22's and a sub would be a much better option.

Btw i have owned polk monitor 60's and several polk subs, and i have learned that polk highly overates their base response i doubt they will even reach 50 hz with much athority.

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
just saw the price of the polks YIKES:eek:

For that money you could get the m22's and one hell of a nice sub.

S

sparks98

Enthusiast
In my similar quest I loved the LSi7 and LSi9's for a while. They actually punch with the bass and no other bookshelf did that. I then heard Paradigm studio 20's v.3 and thought that they sounded very similar to the Polk LSi9's, but much better. I bought the Paradigm Studio 20's, but later returned them for the floorstanding Studio 60's. If you like the LSi's, you should give the Paradigm Studio 20's a listen. They are the same price as the LSi's and are 8 ohm speakers vs. the 4 ohms the Polks use. I have the Studio 60's with a Yamaha RX-V2600.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis