Bookshelf Speaker Recs: $500'ish

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
Moving to a Studio apartment. I need to get smaller speakers. They will be a part of a 3.1 HT system. And used for a 2.1 (2 ch?) for my TT set up. And Streaming from my Macbook Pro.
They don't have to cost my whole budget. But, High Quality sound for the money does matter. Tight,Punchy Bass down to 50-60 KHz. Clear difference between Bass Drum and Bass Guitar sounds. Mids Forward and Clear. Highs like Butter. I want to hear Cymbals Shimmer. Crashes, not Tinks. Snap of the Snare Drum.

A MiniDSP 2x4 HD will be added soon.

Equipment that will be used.
TV: Vizio P65-F1
AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850
XBOX One X
Speakers L/R: ?
Speaker C: Martin Logan Monitor 8
Sub: SVS PB-1000

For Turntable 2 Ch - 2.1 Ch
TT: Technics SL-1200 MK5, Nagoka MP 200 Cart
Pre-Amp: McIntosh C-34V
Amp: McIntosh MC2205

For Streaming: Macbook Pro >Topping D50 DAC > Mc C-34V >MC2205

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Monolith K-Bas is a pretty good bookshelf speaker for the price. Only problem is there is no matching center. In this price range I would also be looking at KEF, maybe Canton from accessories4less.com

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have compared the Infinity R162 to my Canton 502.2 and the infinity is a better speaker to my ear. However, I am not sure I would be able to tell much difference if I did not have them both in the same room at the same time to directly A-B them.
I have not heard the Canton SL-526 and don't know what updates they made since the 502.2, but the Canton Vento is definitely better than the R162.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3317797016&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Product&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=554317961959_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_home_audio_speakers_p&product_id=R162BK&utm_content=Infinity&creative=289428576674&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwd8A8U7Ni8LeFOzMU7WXl0suYgfF8XhJOpaSlnMxIz-9zj2xYXCrnwaAsaYEALw_wcB

General thoughts:
1) Either of these will do a good job.
2) If deal/value is paramount, get the R162, to get speakers that good for $200 is a fantastic deal.
3) Size-wise, the R162 is a fairly large speaker, check the dimensions. If it is too big, the R152 is smaller and probably a good substitute since you would have a sub. However I think the Canton is still a couple of inches shorter (which they made up for by making it deeper) and about the same width (although the Infinity looks a bit more trim with the angled-in side panels.
4) Looks go to the Canton! The infinities are not bad looking speakers, but definitely have a utilitarian vibe to them. The Cantons have a nicer finish and a little more attention to trim pieces and the finish of the drivers! If WAF is a factor, the Cantons may well be worth the extra $300! That is money well spent if it helps avoid resentment towards your system!

Good luck, but both options sound pretty fine!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have compared the Infinity R162 to my Canton 502.2 and the infinity is a better speaker to my ear. However, I am not sure I would be able to tell much difference if I did not have them both in the same room at the same time to directly A-B them.
I have not heard the Canton SL-526 and don't know what updates they made since the 502.2, but the Canton Vento is definitely better than the R162.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3317797016&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Product&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=554317961959_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_home_audio_speakers_p&product_id=R162BK&utm_content=Infinity&creative=289428576674&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwd8A8U7Ni8LeFOzMU7WXl0suYgfF8XhJOpaSlnMxIz-9zj2xYXCrnwaAsaYEALw_wcB

General thoughts:
1) Either of these will do a good job.
2) If deal/value is paramount, get the R162, to get speakers that good for $200 is a fantastic deal.
3) Size-wise, the R162 is a fairly large speaker, check the dimensions. If it is too big, the R152 is smaller and probably a good substitute since you would have a sub. However I think the Canton is still a couple of inches shorter (which they made up for by making it deeper) and about the same width (although the Infinity looks a bit more trim with the angled-in side panels.
4) Looks go to the Canton! The infinities are not bad looking speakers, but definitely have a utilitarian vibe to them. The Cantons have a nicer finish and a little more attention to trim pieces and the finish of the drivers! If WAF is a factor, the Cantons may well be worth the extra $300! That is money well spent if it helps avoid resentment towards your system!

Good luck, but both options sound pretty fine!
Man, I really like how the Vento looks.

16558-600x600.jpeg

Very nice. Where would you put those with the Ultras? I won't get my feelers hurt, I promise, lol.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I really like how the Vento looks.

View attachment 31580

Very nice. Where would you put those with the Ultras? I won't get my feelers hurt, I promise, lol.
While I never had the opportunity to compare them directly to the SVS Ultras, I did compare the Vento to the RBH 61-lse and the Paradigm Signature S-2.

Based on those comparisons and my (and The Warrior's) comparison of the Ultra to the 61lse and the S-2, I have to say that the SQ of the Vento is better!

For someone buying today (now that I am familiar with the Vento),I would offer the following:

Buy the Vento for:
1) Overall better Sound Quality (see link below).
2) Better finish - as good as the SVS Ultra finish is, the Vento is better - mainly the curved (laminations are steamed and pressed into the curvature and glued, IIRC) cabinet and the titanium color of the mid-woofer.
3) Compact form factor - my Vento 820.2 is about the same size as a Pioneer BS-22!

Buy the Ultra for:
1) Uncertainty - SVS reassurance of free return if you don't like. This can be a huge point for anyone buying their first serious speakers!
2) Output - This is pure speculation on my part, but the Vento is a smaller speaker, and I am inclined to believe the Ultra may be better suited to high SPL in a larger room. Maybe the Canton drivers are good enough to put out the SPL, but I'd put my money on the Ultras if I had to bet. That said, I have not found the limits of either of these speakers in my usage.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ceramic-tweeter-canton-vento-820-2-vs-paradigm-s2.111701/

So I would generally consider the Vento a better speaker.
Nonetheless, if I walked into a room blindfolded with the Ultras playing and you asked me to critique them, I honestly don't think I could find flaw (well, bass is not as deep as my subwoofered systems, but that is a given). The most obvious differences between the Ultras and my best speakers are fullness of upper harmonics when steel is struck and the level of detail. However, the upper frequencies and detail of the Ultra are very good, such that without better to A-B against in the same room at the same time, I don't have any sense of deficiency.
For me, I meet that standard with the Infinity R162, and the Ultra is a better speaker than the Infinity R162 (better detail).
Right now my pecking order of best bookshelf deals (among speakers I have heard) is :
1) $80 DCM Timepiece TP-160S-CH (currently being closed out on Ebay) I won't get the chance to listen critically to them until next week, but they are clearly a better speaker than the Pioneer BS-22 and I am prettyy confident they also beat the Sony Core series. My "quick listen" complaint on these is the highs are not so "sparkling" as I like (which is consistent with my experience with other soft dome tweeters).
2) ~$200 The Infinity R162 - especially when on sale for $200 or less
3) ~$850 Canton Vento - Assuming other Vento models are roughly equal to my Vento 820.2
4) ~1600 Philharmonic BMR - not available, but wanted to point out that it is the next better speaker I have after the Vento since it is a very capable speaker that most here are aware of.

I should note that I never heard the JBL Studio 530, which is one speaker that might belong on this list. I think it is supposed to be in stock in October and hopefully we will see it with a deep discount (~50%) to $300 as we have in the past.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nonetheless, if I walked into a room blindfolded with the Ultras playing and you asked me to critique them, I honestly don't think I could find flaw (well, bass is not as deep as my subwoofered systems, but that is a given). The most obvious differences between the Ultras and my best speakers are fullness of upper harmonics when steel is struck and the level of detail. However, the upper frequencies and detail of the Ultra are very good, such that without better to A-B against in the same room at the same time, I don't have any sense of deficiency.
I did not want to confuse the above post with this, but wanted to say that my standard here (for the bolded statements) is speakers, not real acoustic instruments. I have never heard a speaker that actually sounded real to me! Even speakers that cost well beyond my price-pain threshold!

What is frustrating is I have a hard time saying what is wrong, but I practice with three Big Bands every week (7.5 hours total rehearsal time per week) and am very familiar with the sounds of sax, trumpet, trombone, and drums. Perhaps it has to do with always being in a large room when I hear these instruments playing (I won't count myself practicing in my home because the sound is not the same when you have the vibrations coming off of the mouthpiece into your head via your upper teeth on the top of the mouthpiece).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not want to confuse the above post with this, but wanted to say that my standard here (for the bolded statements) is speakers, not real acoustic instruments. I have never heard a speaker that actually sounded real to me! Even speakers that cost well beyond my price-pain threshold!

What is frustrating is I have a hard time saying what is wrong, but I practice with three Big Bands every week (7.5 hours total rehearsal time per week) and am very familiar with the sounds of sax, trumpet, trombone, and drums. Perhaps it has to do with always being in a large room when I hear these instruments playing (I won't count myself practicing in my home because the sound is not the same when you have the vibrations coming off of the mouthpiece into your head via your upper teeth on the top of the mouthpiece).
Most of my reference songs for critical listening are drum heavy because I'm very intimately familiar with the sound. I had a kit here in my house for years. I used to love playing, but ended up selling them a while back because we needed the room. I listen for different tones in the toms, the way the snare "rings" (or doesn't),etc... I have an easier time identifying if there's something missing than try to explain what I listen for.

*Edit: Also, I really do like the look and finish of the Vento a lot too. I don't think I would be upset if I owned them instead. If I were looking to actually upgrade tho I'd aim higher because altho the Vento is nicer overall it's not a blowout and both are very nice if I understand you correctly.

T

Thrill Killer

Audioholic Intern
My current L/R is a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40's (2013?) They take up space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis