D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
I have a Technics SU-V85A amplifier that I connected a Logitech bluetooth adapter to the auxillary 1. I'm only getting sound from the left speaker. Right speaker fades in and out and crackles. Same thing in auxillary 2. It works fine in tuner, phono or tape 1/2/3. I plugged the cd player into both auxillary 1 and 2 and it played fine. I don't think it's an issue with the auxillary jacks. Could this be an issue of the Bluetooth not sending a strong enough signal to the auxillary jacks?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It sounds like either the Logitech unit is defective or the AUX 1 inputs on the Technics are. Have you tried connecting to a different input on the Technics?

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
It sounds like either the Logitech unit is defective or the AUX 1 inputs on the Technics are. Have you tried connecting to a different input on the Technics?
The Logitech unit works fine in the tuner, tape 1/2/3 and phono. The aux 1&2 jacks worked fine when I tested the aux 1/2 jacks with a different source - the cd player. That's why I'm wondering if it's too weak of a signal for the aux 1/2 only...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Logitech unit works fine in the tuner, tape 1/2/3 and phono. The aux 1&2 jacks worked fine when I tested the aux 1/2 jacks with a different source - the cd player. That's why I'm wondering if it's too weak of a signal for the aux 1/2 only...
That's weird. I'd just swap the inputs to one that works and move on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The inputs would all be the same but phono, that would likely apply the RIAA curve/preamp for vinyl so I'd avoid that one, but any of the others would be fine....the signal would be the same otherwise....

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
The inputs would all be the same but phono, that would likely apply the RIAA curve/preamp for vinyl so I'd avoid that one, but any of the others would be fine....the signal would be the same otherwise....
The bluetooth is having issues in all inputs except cd. I know not to use the phono due to it's sensitivity. It's a really strange issue. I can plug the cd player into aux 1&2, tuner & tape 1/2/3 and no issues @ all. For whatever weird reason, my amp is rejecting the bluetooth on all inputs but cd. But, the other inputs perform fine with something other than the bluetooth. It's just really strange and frustrating. I was just wondering if there's a technical explanation for this phenomenon. I guess I'll just run the bluetooth on the cd input an the cd player on an auxiliary. It really sounds excellent running it in the cd input. Very strange

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your description is confusing. The bluetooth has an input selector and only cd works?

Ren Kitchener

Ren Kitchener

Junior Audioholic
Fading in and out and crackling doesn't sound as if it's too low a signal - the dynamic range should go down to zero without any cracking (otherwise it becomes more like a bad 'Gated noise reduction system'). Are the leads or connectors grounding the faulty channel well enough? - the Bluetooth may be isolated to prevent noise and may have capacitor coupled outputs, where the other components tested are grounded by another method/means (so they work - even if it has a small leakage to earth). Sometimes a floating signal without a DC return path or ground path can lead to the exact same described fault - it can sometimes work fine, and sometimes not - the CD input may be a different circuit again (so it works). But that's a guess - it needs a good 'look' inside the amp..

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
Your description is confusing. The bluetooth has an input selector and only cd works?
I originally tried to use the bluetooth in the aux 1 input. I had no sound in the left speaker and crackling in the right speaker. I moved the bluetooth to the other inputs- tape 1/2/3, aux 2 & tuner and had the same issue. It's currently sounding great in the cd input. The only input it will work in. Now, if I plug my cd player into any of the inputs, there's no issue at all. I'm currently running the cd player on aux 1. It's just a really bizarre thing and just putting out there to see if anyone else has experienced this

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
Fading in and out and crackling doesn't sound as if it's too low a signal - the dynamic range should go down to zero without any cracking (otherwise it becomes more like a bad 'Gated noise reduction system'). Are the leads or connectors grounding the faulty channel well enough? - the Bluetooth may be isolated to prevent noise and may have capacitor coupled outputs, where the other components tested are grounded by another method/means (so they work - even if it has a small leakage to earth). Sometimes a floating signal without a DC return path or ground path can lead to the exact same described fault - it can sometimes work fine, and sometimes not - the CD input may be a different circuit again (so it works). But that's a guess - it needs a good 'look' inside the amp..

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
Thank you. It's currently functioning perfectly in the cd input. A grounding issue would explain the erratic operation

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What does the connection on the BT device look like? Is it normal red/white RCA? Or is it a 3.5mm TRS?

Is it connected directly to the amp, or is there some adapter cable in the chain?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Reverse the Left & Right cables at the receiver- if the problem moves to the other channel, it's either the Logitech unit or the cable. Since the Logitech has a 3.5mm jack, make sure the cable is plugged in fully. If the 3.5mm plug can't reach far enough, one channel may not make contact- the tip is for the left channel, the ring is for the right channel and the sleeve is for the common negative connection.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Reverse the Left & Right cables at the receiver- if the problem moves to the other channel, it's either the Logitech unit or the cable. Since the Logitech has a 3.5mm jack, make sure the cable is plugged in fully. If the 3.5mm plug can't reach far enough, one channel may not make contact- the tip is for the left channel, the ring is for the right channel and the sleeve is for the common negative connection.
That was exactly where I was headed with my questions. It would not be the first time that I have seen a poorly seated 3.5mm TRS cxn give similar problems.

highfigh

highfigh

That was exactly where I was headed with my questions. It would not be the first time that I have seen a poorly seated 3.5mm TRS cxn give similar problems.
Anyone who has tried to use a 3.5mm plug when their older iPhone had a case knows how much fun it is to find a cable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I originally tried to use the bluetooth in the aux 1 input. I had no sound in the left speaker and crackling in the right speaker. I moved the bluetooth to the other inputs- tape 1/2/3, aux 2 & tuner and had the same issue. It's currently sounding great in the cd input. The only input it will work in. Now, if I plug my cd player into any of the inputs, there's no issue at all. I'm currently running the cd player on aux 1. It's just a really bizarre thing and just putting out there to see if anyone else has experienced this
Thanks. Weird that the cd player works in all the inputs but not the BT adapter. Otherwise I was thinking if these inputs were unused for a long time and corroded somewhat perhaps? Are the rca connectors noticeably different between the BT adapter and the cd player?

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
Thanks. Weird that the cd player works in all the inputs but not the BT adapter. Otherwise I was thinking if these inputs were unused for a long time and corroded somewhat perhaps? Are the rca connectors noticeably different between the BT adapter and the cd player?
No corrosion on any of the inputs. The BT has regular rca connections on the back, no adapter required and no difference between the cd player & BT rca cables. I believe I've narrowed it down to a grounding issue with the BT. All other inputs besides the cd and phono inputs all share a common. The cd input is completely on its own circuit. So, the BT is having difficulty properly grounding on any other input but the cd. This almost has to be the issue. I used it for several hours in the cd input last night and it performed perfectly & crystal clear sound. I played the cd player through aux 1 & 2, alternating between the 2 for at least an hour with no issues & crystal clear sound. So, I'm just going to leave it as is so long as there's no more glitching and I have great sound quality now

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just meant by adapter that it adapts your gear to having a BT receiver. I've used one, mostly for my truck, but have used it on a variety of inputs both using its battery and powered and nothing like your experience! At least you have a workaround....

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

No corrosion on any of the inputs. The BT has regular rca connections on the back, no adapter required and no difference between the cd player & BT rca cables. I believe I've narrowed it down to a grounding issue with the BT. All other inputs besides the cd and phono inputs all share a common. The cd input is completely on its own circuit. So, the BT is having difficulty properly grounding on any other input but the cd. This almost has to be the issue. I used it for several hours in the cd input last night and it performed perfectly & crystal clear sound. I played the cd player through aux 1 & 2, alternating between the 2 for at least an hour with no issues & crystal clear sound. So, I'm just going to leave it as is so long as there's no more glitching and I have great sound quality now
Why do you think it has anything to do with grounding? Switch the cables and if it moves to the other channel, try a different cable. Don't overthink it- is the BT piece new, or has it been kicked around the block a few times?

D

Dan W.

Audiophyte
Why do you think it has anything to do with grounding? Switch the cables and if it moves to the other channel, try a different cable. Don't overthink it- is the BT piece new, or has it been kicked around the block a few times?
I have moved the cables and the problem did switch to the other channel. I even tried several other rca cables to eliminate bad cables as the possible culprit. The BT is new. I was having the same issue with another BT, that's why I bought a new one. Only to be incredibly frustrated it happened again. I'm just taking a shot in the dark of it being a grounding issue with the BT. It just points that direction when it does just fine on an input (cd) which doesn't share a common with other inputs

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis