j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you didn't see the Marvel credits, you'd still know you were watching a Marvel film. It starts out a bit slow, but picks up well after a while and remains good until the end IMO. Audio was great, visuals good as expected from this studio, story fairly straight forward but good. They hit all the requisite franchise tie ins and oddly, none of the people who went with me had seen ANY of the other films lol. I feel this one could have been a bit stronger; it feels like the backstory that it is, just to feed into the other Avengers related films. This is certainly not a bad movie at all, it just feels like they are maybe trying to force too many of them out the door. It was cool to actually see Andy Serkis in this one, not just green screened.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is certainly not a bad movie at all, it just feels like they are maybe trying to force too many of them out the door.
So.............. not the best Marvel movie of all times? :D

I've read so many diametric user reviews on this movie. So many negative user reviews and yet also many positive reviews.

I will catch this movie on Netflix.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So.............. not the best Marvel movie of all times? :D

I've read so many diametric user reviews on this movie. So many negative user reviews and yet also many positive reviews.

I will catch this movie on Netflix.
Hard to describe. I liked it, but it feels like a lot of the same stuff. Winter Soldier and Civil War felt like they had some fresh elements to them, where this one was pretty straight forward just with a new look. I guess I felt like it would do something different.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to describe. I liked it, but it feels like a lot of the same stuff. Winter Soldier and Civil War felt like they had some fresh elements to them, where this one was pretty straight forward just with a new look. I guess I felt like it would do something different.
I think that's the overall vibe I got from reading most user reviews.

Remove all the "1-2" and "9-10" ratings and the in-between ratings pretty much say what you're saying - overall good, not great, and a lot of the same-old.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's the overall vibe I got from reading most user reviews.

Remove all the "1-2" and "9-10" ratings and the in-between ratings pretty much say what you're saying - overall good, not great, and a lot of the same-old.
Sounds like Mitch Hedberg. People either love this film or they hate it, or they think it's ok.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I thought it was arguably the best Marvel movie so far although I really liked Winter Soldier, too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed "Black Panther" has a 97% Rotten Tomatoes rating, which is on par with "The Godfather" and "The Godfather Part 2".

The rating is also a lot higher than "The Dark Knight" Trilogy (84%/94%/87%).

I guess we can expect "Black Panther" to win Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars next year? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I liked it a lot. It's one of the better entries into the mcu. Now Thor Ragnarok I enjoyed immensely. I picked up a 4k Blu Ray of it this morning and plan to watch it later. Gonna turn off all the lights, pull the curtains and go for the movie experience tonight.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked that the ending felt more inline with the nature of the antagonist. I was not crazy about the antagonist though, that was just anger and grudge and negativity vs. a normal "comic book" crazy bad guy. I liked the character, but not how it came across. That's just me.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My wife would never get into this or Ragnarok, thankfully it looks like she will be gone much of the summer.

Party at my house!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just finished watching it. It's not bad for a summer flick, but the story is a very straight/simple and predictable.
7/10 (extra point for gfx/sound, otherwise 6/10)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
just finished watching it. It's not bad for a summer flick, but the story is a very straight/simple and predictable.
7/10 (extra point for gfx/sound, otherwise 6/10)
Yeah I agree. It’s not bad, but nothing special - not anywhere near as great as what a lot of the critics say it is.

I think it’s on par with Civil War.

I can’t believe some people actually compared this movie to the Dark Knight trilogy or even The Godfather trilogy. :eek:

Definitely ridiculously overhyped.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That's usually her with music...
That reminds me of the time when we went to some organ concerts. On one of those events I took my spl meter. Wow, frequently over 100 dB. That was fine. But the movies rarely do that and it is too loud.
So, I wait when she is not home so I or other friends can enjoy. ;)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
That reminds me of the time when we went to some organ concerts. On one of those events I took my spl meter. Wow, frequently over 100 dB. That was fine. But the movies rarely do that and it is too loud.
So, I wait when she is not home so I or other friends can enjoy. ;)
Not to say I dislike my wife's taste in music, quite the contrary. I should have said "that's when she's listening". The volume often hits 0 or a positive number...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Watching it on Vudu in Atmos right now. Don't know what the hell happened to the home mix but the dynamic range is awful. At 0dB, dialogue sits at about 80dB and peaks during action scenes max out at 95dB. It's just mixed loud no matter what's going on in each scene. I've seen tv shows with more dynamic range than this.

This seems to be a trend with lots of Disney releases lately, and it's very disappointing. From what I've also heard, they've also been limiting their Atmos mixes to 7.1.4 by rendering the mix to 7.1.4, recapturing it as Pcm stems, and mixing it as 11 objects stuck in the 7.1.4 speaker locations on the Dolby Atmos panner.

May have to start boycotting them until they quit this crap.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Watching it on Vudu in Atmos right now. Don't know what the hell happened to the home mix but the dynamic range is awful. At 0dB, dialogue sits at about 80dB and peaks during action scenes max out at 95dB. It's just mixed loud no matter what's going on in each scene. I've seen tv shows with more dynamic range than this.

This seems to be a trend with lots of Disney releases lately, and it's very disappointing. From what I've also heard, they've also been limiting their Atmos mixes to 7.1.4 by rendering the mix to 7.1.4, recapturing it as Pcm stems, and mixing it as 11 objects stuck in the 7.1.4 speaker locations on the Dolby Atmos panner.

May have to start boycotting them until they quit this crap.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Curious if the ATMOS in VUDU would match the actuall Blu-ray or BR4k

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis