BJC Twelve White (5000UE) 12 AWG vs10 AWG

G

gasolin75

Audiophyte
I have just bought some BJC Twelve White (5000UE) (White jacket, 12 AWG) speaker cable, i wanted the 10 awg cable but i didnt have any banana plugs that could handle 10 awg (2x 6 mm²)

Atleast that's what they say it it's, some other cable i have is Qed XT40 and it is 2x 4 mm² (12 awg), i got the cable and it turns out it's NOT , 2x12 awg, 2x 4 mm², it's total gauge for both cables (- and +) are 12 AWG 4 mm².

Had i known that i would without any doubt have bought the 10 awg cable, the 12 awg cable fitted perfectly in my cambridge banana plugs that can handle 4 mm² thick wire.

I want the 10 awg cable but is it worth buying ? Amp Marantz PP6006, speakers are definitive technology Demand D7

G

gasolin75

Audiophyte
It's not about 12 awg not being enough, it's about the sonical difference of thin vs thicker cable, where i always prefer the thicker over the thinner cable.

If i have to generalise, thicker cable are more fuller sounding and less bright if compared to the same cable in a considerable thinner version like 16 AWG vs 10 AWG

What happend to the Speaker Cable Gauge Guidelines & Recommendations on Audioholics that are deleted, not being available ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many will likely disagree that AWG will alter the sound.

It is your money and system... do what you want. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's not about 12 awg not being enough, it's about the sonical difference of thin vs thicker cable, where i always prefer the thicker over the thinner cable.

If i have to generalise, thicker cable are more fuller sounding and less bright if compared to the same cable in a considerable thinner version like 16 AWG vs 10 AWG

What happend to the Speaker Cable Gauge Guidelines & Recommendations on Audioholics that are deleted, not being available ?
If the cable is of sufficient gauge for the distance and speaker, you can buy lamp cord and never hear a difference. Copper is copper don't get fooled. Roger Russell form McIntosh used to use lamp cord at Mac Labs.

Also when you get to 10 gauge, connecting terminals like banana plugs become a PIA.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're not going to win anyone over with Paul McGowan videos. He's one of the more prolific snake oil peddlers in the industry, lol.

This deal of thicker cables sounding fuller or less bright is just silliness.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If the cable AWG is adequate, then any larger cable is simply wasted resources that would be better spent on other components (better speakers, room treatments, measurement gear).

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Even 12 gauge is overkill for this situation. 14 gauge or 16 gauge would work totally fine and would be much easier to work with.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The cable nonsense is so pervasive these days....
Oh man, have you ever attended an audio show?

The stupid cable people that brag about the price they paid for their cables and try to get you to drink their Koolaid!

You don't hear the differences? Clearly your ears are not as refined as mine, clearly your system isn't as resolving as mine :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just smile and walk away.

I like BJC, good an no-nonsense at a somewhat reasonable price. "Broadcast Quality", how much better could you really expect to get? And, ultrasonic welding!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh man, have you ever attended an audio show?

The stupid cable people that brag about the price they paid for their cables and try to get you to drink their Koolaid!

You don't hear the differences? Clearly your ears are not as refined as mine, clearly your system isn't as resolving as mine :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just smile and walk away.

I like BJC, good an no-nonsense at a somewhat reasonable price. "Broadcast Quality", how much better could you really expect to get? And, ultrasonic welding!
Yeah BJC is fine, altho I just make my own. I haven't gone to an audio show, and doubt I ever will as they're all too far away anyways. They do seem to get plenty of those willing to drink the Koolaid, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis