Bipole or Monopole for Rear Surround in 5.1

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I already have the PSB T5 for the left & right and PSB C5 for the center. Now is going to decide either the bookshelf B5 or the bipole S5.
You have only one choice and that is to audition. Listen for yourself and make an informed decision instead of relying on what others are telling you.

D

Docks

Audioholic
I have been tossing the same question up in the air for awhile as well. Personally i think for surround channels bipole might be a bit more fun and help open up the effects of movies etc. I however do not have any music that is 5.1 that i would do any critical listening on, which leaves my 2 main channels for music, and movies will goto 5.1.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have been tossing the same question up in the air for awhile as well. Personally i think for surround channels bipole might be a bit more fun and help open up the effects of movies etc. I however do not have any music that is 5.1 that i would do any critical listening on, which leaves my 2 main channels for music, and movies will goto 5.1.
Audition and find out what you prefer. At this point, its the only sane thing to do. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Right now I have a pair of 48" tower Definitive BP7001SC bipole speakers for surround sound, and I can tell you it sounds just like when I was using 2 StudioMonitor 450 bookshelf monopole speakers.

Surround speakers are no big deal.

Surround speakers do 2 things in movies: ambience effects and panning effects.

It does not take a whole lot to create some ambience sound behind you. It's like background music. Bose speakers can do that.:eek:

It takes some IMAGING to create the panning of sounds going from front to back, and monopoles can do a great job with that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Right now I have a pair of 48" tower Definitive BP7001SC bipole speakers for surround sound, and I can tell you it sounds just like when I was using 2 StudioMonitor 450 bookshelf monopole speakers.

Surround speakers are no big deal.

Surround speakers do 2 things in movies: ambience effects and panning effects.

It does not take a whole lot to create some ambience sound behind you. It's like background music. Bose speakers can do that.:eek:

It takes some IMAGING to create the panning of sounds going from front to back, and monopoles can do a great job with that.
No arguements with you but I think its best that the OP audition for themself to see what their preference maybe. Monopoles are cheaper than bipoles from the same line by the same manufacturer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No arguements with you but I think its best that the OP audition for themself to see what their preference maybe. Monopoles are cheaper than bipoles from the same line by the same manufacturer.
He would probably have to audition at home unless there is a dealer that has bipole surround speakers already installed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis