Bioshock = HOLY %^*&!!!

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
I've been playing Bioshock for the last week and all I can say is... WOW. The graphics on this game are amazing and the sound has the heaviest use of the surrounds I've ever experienced. Not to mention the sub is in constant use. i love this game. anyone else impressed?

Matt34

Matt34

I might have to pick this up today, getting some good reviews so far.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I might have to pick this up today, getting some good reviews so far.
A game critic was on KFMA last week (you might have heard him, Matt) and said that it was the best first-person shooter that he'd ever played.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I've been playing Bioshock for the last week and all I can say is... WOW. The graphics on this game are amazing and the sound has the heaviest use of the surrounds I've ever experienced. Not to mention the sub is in constant use. i love this game. anyone else impressed?
Beyond the awesome graphics and sound, the game has an atmosphere that few other recent games have created. The game itself is more than a sum of it's impressive parts. It's gotten very very good reviews.

The opening sequence alone as you see the plane disappearing into the water at night, with fires raging around you and a lighthouse in the distance is probably one of the two best "production-value" openings for a game that i've ever played (the second is the opening cinematic in MGS2). The difference here though is that most of the opening here is actually playable.

nav

nav

Audioholic
I've already played the game to completion (one of the endings, that is). Excellent game. I didn't find the atmosphere to be as creepy as System Shock 2's (Irrational's earlier "Shock" game that they no longer own the rights to; also an excellent game if you can find a copy anymore). I didn't find the sound to be particularly impressive, but I was using only two channels.

Before purchasing a PC copy, make sure you read up on the draconion copy-protection the game uses. I had to install multiple times (it uninstalled itself at completion due to somehow thinking I had an illegitimate copy) and repeatedly attempt registration before the game would even allow me to play. There are also currently a limited number of installations before you're cut-off from automatic registration and must call Securom for a new code. If I knew about all of this before purchase, I would have held off until a patch (first-party or not) was available.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not THAT into FPS adventure games, but I found it to be kinda boring and tedious . I don't own it, I just previewed it at a friends house, but I STRONGLY recommend downloading the demo before you buy it.

SheepStar

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Shutup about the copy protection, there is nothing wrong with it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I was totally underwhelmed by it. The graphics are nice, but the animations leave much to be desired. The textures downright suck. The atmosphere is cool in an Ayn Rand sorta way (the whole game feels like "20 years after the conclusion of Atlas Shrugged, everything has gone very wrong"), but the controls are subpar and the game is pretty much on rails as much as most other quality shooters.

I don't see what the hubbub is about.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I've got the 360 version and I think the game is OK but I wouldn't rate it as "special" at this time. It should be noted thought that I've just started the game and have only played 10 hours or so.

The graphics are OK but the graphics presentation & style just don't seem to be wowing me. The graphics feel too much like Gears of War to me but I'm not talking about the engine ... the presentation & style just seems a little too muted for my tastes.

On the other hand the enemy AI seems to be pretty good so I've got to give high marks for that.

On the 360 the controls and esp. aiming seems awkward to me. I suspect that I'd prefer the PC version of the controls ....

J

joeyd

Audiophyte
I got the demo of it the other day for the 360,and I thought it was awesome. I definately want to get the game within the next week or two.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I downloaded the PC demo on Steam and I am impressed. I will probably end up buying it on Steam. I haven't seen the 360 version but the graphics on the PC are very nice.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I'm not impressed at all with this game TBH.

Deus Ex was better.

nav

nav

Audioholic
Deus Ex was better.
For its time, I'd have to agree; Deus Ex remains a favorite of mine. For what it's worth, I still found Bioshock immersive and fun to play (and it allowed me to flex my new hardware a bit :p).

I

IamAhab

Audiophyte
Has anyone played through it yet. How many hours did it take?

nav

nav

Audioholic
I don't have an exact count, but it fell in the twenty-something hours category. I received my copy release day (a Tuesday) and finished in on Friday of that week.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Finished it last week at around 6 hours.

Did anyone else think the game was just way to easy?

For me, the entire game boiled down to this: Use the shock plasmid > one shot in the head > splicer is dead.

If you think about it, all the items and ammo were completely useless, because the enemies had health bars that stayed damaged even after you "died". Dying was lame too, you just respawned a little ways back.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Finished it last week at around 6 hours.

Did anyone else think the game was just way to easy?
On what difficulty? Easy?

I found it an odd design choice to leave the damaged enemies after dying. It certainly makes the Big Daddies easier. They're still a bear to take down though, multiple shocks, grenades, and armor piercing rounds 'til one goes down.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
On what difficulty? Easy?

I found it an odd design choice to leave the damaged enemies after dying. It certainly makes the Big Daddies easier. They're still a bear to take down though, multiple shocks, grenades, and armor piercing rounds 'til one goes down.
No, on hard. I started out playing on normal, and that was just a breeze. Hard wasn't a challenge at all.

Once again, the gameplay pretty much just boils down to stunning the enemy with the shock plasmid, then shooting them in the head.

Once you get the crossbow, you are pretty much invincible.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I tend to agree that Bioshock is a little too easy as-is. I'm generally not very good at shooters but I'm finding that the middle difficulty setting isn't challenging. If I don't find it challenging then [honestly] most people will likely find it boring.

I might give it a shot on high difficulty level so we'll see how that turns out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis