Biggest TV out there

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry for OP to continue to derail this thread about legitimately interesting larger TV models, but just in case there are few more objective and informative articles than @Tankini linked:

Last edited:
O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
I posted the thread without any agenda except discussing purely technological advancement in the industry. The fact is that TCL and Hisense are quickly gaining the market share globally and that is due to the technological advancements they achieved in a short period of time. I have been enjoying TCL 98x955 set for more than 8 mos and hope there is nothing grossly wrong (i.e. unfixable) with it as the cost was not negligible.

As with telecom industry, relevant regulators should look into this industry as well and if needed intervene with their recommendations or requests that manufacturers change their practices. I live in EU (and Middle East) and while not concerned and have nothing to hide about my viewing habits, I am concerned with privacy and security of my home networks. If there is anything irregular going on with TCL or Hisense TVs, EU and US regulators should step up and protect the consumers.

BTW there are no frequent software updates for x955 series - in 8 mos of ownership I only got 1 and that was after 6 mos. That is a separate issue as updates are too infrequent and there are still issues to be ironed out.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The rumors are that this will come in at $20,000 initially. That's a hefty price tag for a TCL television no matter what.

I am seeing the 98" model right now in an installation, and it's definitely a good looking TV and the price point of under $3,000 is remarkable for such a large display. Hopefully, this model can come down to under $5,000, or even $4,000 in the next year or two which will make it far more competitive with the ultra-short throw setups which so many people have been using for a big screen in their family room setups. Other than a retractable screen, the TCL basically blows away any projection setup that's out there. Much better in any family room setup. But, pricing has to be affordable. Or at least close.

This is one of the most exciting products in years as we have had 98" displays for years now. This size jump is a massive change in what I've seen in many years.

O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
Agreed - 115" was occasionally available for $15k (i.e. it is out there for sale), but still too much for this type of TV. It is really big and difficult to dispose/sell/move. In that size and price range probably better to wait for endgame TV that will come in a year to two after this tech is fully ironed out and processing improved further.

98" is the sweet spot right now people looking for really big TVs. Either in the X955 or a bit cheaper C955 version. I have 83" Sony as well and 98" is massively bigger and still significantly bigger than my 9 year old 88" Samsung LED.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis