Bic "redesign" PL-200 "II"

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Seems like Bic has made some changes for the redesigned PL-200 "II"

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=8&spkrID=145

quote from Bic's site: "The PL-200 II’s new dual flared front ports enable a more even transition of sound into the room and dramatically boost deeper bass frequencies providing a smoother frequency response, virtually flat down to 20Hz. Wide port flares eliminate port noise and increased cabinet bracing eliminates unwanted cabinet vibrations for even cleaner sound."

the amp/driver seem to be unchanged. only Cabinet/port design.
i'm interested to hear some feedback on these claims, anyone try one yet? are they out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a lot of excess verbiage to describe a simple change to the port. Must have been a lot of R&D and tooling that went into that one :rolleyes: . The cabinet bracing increase would likely be more interesting. 110 dB sensitivity? At 30hz? Where's the price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like a lot of excess verbiage to describe a simple change to the port. Must have been a lot of R&D and tooling that went into that one :rolleyes: . The cabinet bracing increase would likely be more interesting. 110 dB sensitivity? At 30hz? Where's the price?
Where are Bic in the food chain? I've seen mixed reviews.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
seems like they're one step closer to cloning the VTF-2 MK4 lol (design, not sound quality)

if there is no price increase and they actually managed to improve in overall sound, it could be interesting (for budget buyers)

here in Canada the pl200 ($430 CDN) and PB1000 ($700) is pretty much our only option under $1000.... HSU/Rythmik/RSL all cost $200-300 to ship here :S

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Photobucket! :mad:

All the images in that thread are not viewable any more. This photobucket thing is gonna (already has) piss a lot of people off.
Why I said comments :) Full set of graphs on the data-bass site....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thank you, lovinthehd i have read that post before, but i'm curious to see if this "redesign" has any sound improvement.
It may measure slightly differently would be my guess, likely not audibly different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why I said comments :) Full set of graphs on the data-bass site....
Wasn't a knock on you. I'm seeing stuff like that more and more often. I didn't think about the impact of something so simple affecting so much. Photobucket is gonna screw up a lot of stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wasn't a knock on you. I'm seeing stuff like that more and more often. I didn't think about the impact of something so simple affecting so much. Photobucket is gonna screw up a lot of stuff.
No worries, didn't take it that way. That's one reason I prefer to upload any photos to the forum from my own hard drive, don't see any reason to use a photo service in any case.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Brent Butterworth measured the CEA-2010 data for the V1220 and made it available on this graph. Just so happens I scraped the data from that page earlier today.

BIC V1220
80 Hz: 109.7
63 Hz: 108.7
50 Hz: 107.1
40 Hz: 100.2
31.5 Hz: 98.7
25 Hz: 92.5
20 Hz: 85.9

BIC PL200
80 Hz: 106.5
63 Hz: 108.1
50 Hz: 110.4
40 Hz: 107.7
31.5 Hz: 102.5
25 Hz: 96.2
20 Hz: 84

Last edited:
MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Nice!
will be interesting how the PL-200 vs PL-200 II stack up .... or PL200-II vs V1220

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Brent Butterworth measured the CEA-2010 data for the V1220 and made it available on this graph. Just so happens I scraped the data from that page earlier today.

BIC V1220
80 Hz: 109.7
63 Hz: 108.7
50 Hz: 107.1
40 Hz: 100.2
31.5 Hz: 98.7
25 Hz: 92.5
20 Hz: 85.9

BIC PL200
80 Hz: 106.5
63 Hz: 108.1
50 Hz: 110.4
40 Hz: 107.7
31.5 Hz: 102.5
25 Hz: 96.2
20 Hz: 84
Looks a bit different after your correction :) Gee, looks like the "sensitivity" of 110dB doesn't do much since it can't get there under these guidelines, lol. Why such a big amp for such a sensitive system? :)

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Looking forward to the "new" pl-200 II numbers. ( Not regular pl-200, as I know it's been reviewed to death, but thanks for the feedback)

I know there's not gonna be a huge difference , but I know cabinet design, port numbers / size can have a significant impact .

So I wonder did Bic just relocated the ports , or was there actually a audio engineer behind this "refresh".

Even if it's a just small 3-6% improvement... At $279 you can't ask for much more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis