D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible.
-- Mark Twain

I remember a similar one: you wouldn't believe it if you read it.

I was thinking thats really backwards.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"How do you know this?"

As in how do you know there was a time where they got everything right? Then afterward they got it wrong with the Old Testament because that book was used to hijack the real truth. Seems to me God could just pop in for a second and explain it clearly and concisely.
They each think they got everything right. Also, what is the real truth and who decides, for all?

"I think I'll give people 'free will'. What's the worst that could happen?".

I agree with the last comment.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
They each think they got everything right. Also, what is the real truth and who decides, for all?
The difference is the people claiming the Bible is the inerrant word of God have to prove it is true. The people claiming it isn't do not have to disprove anything. People certainly have a right to believe what they want, and there's no "who decides, for all?" But trying to say it is the inerrant word when there's things like day/night confusion, stoning to death, and general blood.....if you're going to say 'Well the truth was taken by bad actors" than you have to provide what that truth is specifically from a thousands of years old book. Or in the end it's your opinion.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
If you simply replaced the book covers LOL.....

"Tom's" Bible= terribly blood-soaked book with scientific inaccuracies all over the place F--king savages!!

"The" Bible= perfect in every way.

highfigh

highfigh

The difference is the people claiming the Bible is the inerrant word of God have to prove it is true. The people claiming it isn't do not have to disprove anything. People certainly have a right to believe what they want, and there's no "who decides, for all?" But trying to say it is the inerrant word when there's things like day/night confusion, stoning to death, and general blood.....if you're going to say 'Well the truth was taken by bad actors" than you have to provide what that truth is specifically from a thousands of years old book. Or in the end it's your opinion.
But proof and faith- they're totally different concepts and each side wants to use their arguments.

I watched a video about this and they said something about faith being defined as 'belief, in spite of a lack of proof' and AFAIK, none of the writings for the new testament were from the time of the events, they all came long after. Many were written as if they had been witnessed by people who were long gone by the time they were created and word of mouth is known for being unreliable.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
But proof and faith- they're totally different concepts and each side wants to use their arguments.

I watched a video about this and they said something about faith being defined as 'belief, in spite of a lack of proof' and AFAIK, none of the writings for the new testament were from the time of the events, they all came long after. Many were written as if they had been witnessed by people who were long gone by the time they were created and word of mouth is known for being unreliable.
Faith in a belief in God, or a symbolic belief in the Bible.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You reminded me of a high school class experiment:
a written word was given to the 1st kid and passed it on in sequence; not even close from the written word and end last kids written answer.

Oh, and the Old Testament? Well before. Even more difficult for reliability.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Roman catholic religion erred in putting sins and hell with its doctrine. Hell exists for some people on this planet although it might also exist in other galaxies.

highfigh

highfigh

You reminded me of a high school class experiment:
a written word was given to the 1st kid and passed it on in sequence; not even close from the written word and end last kids written answer.

Oh, and the Old Testament? Well before. Even more difficult for reliability.
You did that in high school? That was a children's exercise called the 'Telephone game', where the kids sit in a circle, the first hears or reads a word and says it quietly to the next kid and it's passed around the circle. Then, the kids laugh when the last one says something completely unrelated.

Hundreds of years of verbally passed 'truth' is far from that. Add translation to the mix and we have bedtime stories.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Lee Greenwood: You Trump haters!! :p
Yeah, he is definitely in on the grift, in fact he did one of his own with this very bible sans the Trump name. When the hell will our country wake up? Sorry that's too much like being woke. :(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You did that in high school? That was a children's exercise called the 'Telephone game', where the kids sit in a circle, the first hears or reads a word and says it quietly to the next kid and it's passed around the circle. Then, the kids laugh when the last one says something completely unrelated.

Hundreds of years of verbally passed 'truth' is far from that. Add translation to the mix and we have bedtime stories.
Maybe it was a refresher in HS? Maybe in a science class to reinforce fact finding? Happened before yesterday, can't remember. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis