better quality floor speaker.? how is axiom

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
how does the axiom m80 rate with the other floor speakers, the athena, monitor audio, psb, b&w,

also curious how the jbl speakers .. are they even good at all? i never heard about them.

i own axiom m22ti's, and am eventually going to buy floor standing speakers,

i know the monitor audio are pretty nice, and match up well with the axiom, but does anyone even like the axioms? ive heard the silver line is very similar to the m60 and m80, but a little better, but the axiom is way cheaper. is it worth the extra money

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
For the money, and based on the review here, I don't see how you can lose with the Axioms. Would you be using the 22's for surrounds? If so, that's a no brainer for timber matching.

www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/AxiomAudio_Epic80a.html

The Athena's are great speakers and very reasonably priced. I like the larger towers for their dual 8" woofers. Not many towers today have drivers that large. If I went with Athena, I would want an entire 7.1 set up though, not just the two towers. I'm funny about having all my tweeters and midranges match.

PSB and B&W are outstanding speakers, but are priced a little higher than the two above for smaller drivers.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I haven't heard the M80 but I have heard the M60. I'd take the M22s and a good sub over the M60 personally. Listen to them for yourself and decide. Everyone has their own favorite but will it be yours.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I can't tell you how the Athenas compare with the Axioms, but I can tell you that those Athena towers (AS-F2) absolutely rock. I got mine just over a month ago, and have started watching more movies and listening to more music lately, and I can tell you that these babies deliver. Despite living in an apartment, I listen to my movies pretty loudly, and they've always sounded amazing. I don't have golden ears, but I've not heard any distortion or any other yuckiness. I don't regret my purchase one bit. And compared to just about every other quality speaker available, they're the best deal going, pricewise. Many of the reviews I've seen for the Athena Audition line (of which the F2 is a part) have said that, given the quality of the speakers, they would have expected them to be twice the price.

cheers,
supervij

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jetyi83 said:
how does the axiom m80 rate with the other floor speakers, the athena, monitor audio, psb, b&w,

also curious how the jbl speakers .. are they even good at all? i never heard about them.

i own axiom m22ti's, and am eventually going to buy floor standing speakers,

i know the monitor audio are pretty nice, and match up well with the axiom, but does anyone even like the axioms? ive heard the silver line is very similar to the m60 and m80, but a little better, but the axiom is way cheaper. is it worth the extra money
Isn't the m22ti basicly a m80ti without the woofers, one less tweeter(this is a good thing!) and in a smaller cabinet? IF that is the case, you can get better results and have more flexibility(for less money) by getting two of the Parts Express 10" subwoofers(place one beside or directly near each bookshelf) and using a Behringer DCX2496 to split/process the signals.

http://www.parts8express.com

Part Number: 300-632

To make the above url work, remove the 8 from the url. This site(audioholics) has, in a brash reaction, blocked ALL users from posting urls with partsexpress in them by way of an automated filter.

With the DCX and two subs, you can use a relative high crossover point(80-90Hz), have plenty of dynamic range, and have the immense control available with a DCX2496. The success of this implementation depends on your component setup and how to route the signals from the preamp to DCX and back to amps(if you are using an integrated solution).

-Chris

Last edited:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I've had the M60's for over a year now & am still very happy with them. After sampling other towers in the $1000 & under range (Boston,Def Tech,Klipsch,JBL,etc.) I tried these out & kept them.

I would have loved some Paradigm Studio 100's but they were 3X as much, & the Studio 60's were twice as much.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
my 80's will be here by Wednesday. It'll be the first time I've heard any axioms.

I'll post my thoughts later the week.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
Yeah, im going to move the m22ti's to surrounds, and then buy qs8's for surround backs,

everyone seems to love the qs8's.

i was debating whether or not to stick with axiom for fronts, or switch to monitor audio silver, or somethin else. But thats cool.. everyone else seems to think the axioms are about the same quality as i thought they were.

ive also heard a lot of people say the m80's extra tweeter makes it too bright. would i be better off with the 60's? i havent heard either one, but the m22ti's are pretty impressive.

Last edited:
K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
that review compares the psb to a lower end axiom system, with an old receiver

the mains are bookshelf speakers, and the center is the lower model.

they should have used the m80's and the vp150. The price range would have been closer too.. although axiom still a little cheaper.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis