best xlr amp for18in ported sub set

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
for driving a set of Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 ohm in a ported cabinets which do you think would be best suited for powering them

either a Crown XLi 2500 750W 2-channel Power Amplifier or the Crown XLS 2502 775W 2-channel Power Amplifier

in a layered ported cabs tuned to 21hz with either 750watts at 4ohm (xli) or 775watt @4ohms (xls) an a 4th order high pass at 16hz from my outlaw audio 976 receiver

with a 44in long 12in wide 2.5in high flair port

the walls of the cab will be 1.5in inner 1.75in port wall an outer wall of 2in thick

with an net ft3 vol of 3.8cft

so with walls this thick an a epoxy resin coat in an out i dont think id need any extra bracing

the inner cab dims would be 35in h by 16.7in w by 12in d

outer dim 38in h by 24in w by 15in (1.5iin front an back panels with a .5in flush cut for the driver)

i plan to build two matching cab an run off

either a Crown XLi 2500 750W 2-channel Power Amplifier or

the Crown XLS 2502 775W 2-channel Power Amplifier

whichever would be better with load an sinad

you thoughts including paint on color

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If the purpose is for public performances, I would rather recommend the QSC RMX 2450 which has better specs than the Crowns. Moreover, you can't kill those QSCs.

However, these QSCs don't have the DSP feature which the Crown has. The cabinets would be tuned at 21 Hz. So, do you intend to drive the subs below that frequency? If not, you wouldn't need a high pass filter. The purpose of the HP filter is only to protect the driver from over excursions below the box tuning frequency.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed that the cabinet sizes which you intend to use are good for a sealed design. For a ported design, you would need 7.5 cf as per Parts-Express recommendation, and I entirely agree with them. Keep in mind that P-E and Dayton are owned by the same people.

Also, the amplifier would have to be installed in a rackmount or a cabinet with adequate ventilation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you determine the box/port details? Did you actually model the subs with something like winisd or bassbox pro? Or following someone's particular modeling? Like @Verdinut says, seems small for a ported design per Dayton spec.

The amps are similar, altho at one point Crown suggested to me the XLi may be better suited to sub duties, but I use XLS on my subs in any case. Don't know about fan noise on the XLi, seems I've seen reports of noise on the XLi so you might want to look into that if the amps are out in the room; the XLS is very quiet in any case. The XLS2502 was measured at audiosciencereview.com, as well as the 1502, but think they only have one for the XLi800. IIRC the XLS performed better. The XLS dsp is more about a crossover between a sub/speaker rather than go low enough for a protective filter below tuning (if needed). QSC would be an option but if you wanted even better perhaps something from SpeakerPower....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
for driving a set of Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 ohm in a ported cabinets which do you think would be best suited for powering them

either a Crown XLi 2500 750W 2-channel Power Amplifier or the Crown XLS 2502 775W 2-channel Power Amplifier

in a layered ported cabs tuned to 21hz with either 750watts at 4ohm (xli) or 775watt @4ohms (xls) an a 4th order high pass at 16hz from my outlaw audio 976 receiver

with a 44in long 12in wide 2.5in high flair port

the walls of the cab will be 1.5in inner 1.75in port wall an outer wall of 2in thick

with an net ft3 vol of 3.8cft

so with walls this thick an a epoxy resin coat in an out i dont think id need any extra bracing

the inner cab dims would be 35in h by 16.7in w by 12in d

outer dim 38in h by 24in w by 15in (1.5iin front an back panels with a .5in flush cut for the driver)

i plan to build two matching cab an run off

either a Crown XLi 2500 750W 2-channel Power Amplifier or

the Crown XLS 2502 775W 2-channel Power Amplifier

whichever would be better with load an sinad

you thoughts including paint on color
The Outlaw manual is seriously lacking in pertinent information, like output impedance, which is definitely helpful. Also it would be good to know if it's true complimentary-balanced, vs quasi-balanced. You need to know that. Also, with 4V output, even the 1.4V input could be overdriven on the Crown- if you hear hiss at any level, the input sensitivity controls are set wrong- same goes if you here distortion. .

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
yeah iv offen wondered about that i think think the 4 vs 9volt referes to eq vs no eq thow with my original subs i had a pair of audiopipe tsar 15in in a 2cft 32hz box
an while they driven by my xls 1502 they never had issues being overdrive except for 1 avengers endgame when captin marvel aproching ther compound in the beginnig
the low building rumble suddenly had for some reason a massive clipping spike dont know why, thow it might have been before i know how to use the parometric eq

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis